Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Colorado HuckWest

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado HuckWest

[center]First Annual Colorado HuckWest
The pilots have asked for it, so we're going to give it to 'em.
Love-Air R/C is proud to present the first annual Colorado HuckWest
Hosted on August 7-9, 2009 at Love-Air's Drake Field near Fort Collins, CO.
Field GPS Coordinates: Lat 40.575833 Long-104.818250

Hotels and restaurants located at the I-25 / Highway 14 interchange.
Limited R.V. camping spots are available at the field (no hookups).
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Colorado HuckWest

Hey Jim. Sounds like it should be a great time! I'll be there!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Hammbone

Great.

Who else thinks they will come? We need to get an idea how many people might be coming in order to properly plan for this event.

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can we bring glow and gas powered profiles? Most of these planes would be 40-90 size.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Hammbone

-
Old 02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Hammbone

-
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Hammbone

Due to a conflict with another event in CO in Sept, the dates for the Colorado HuckWest have been changed to Aug 7-9.
All posts have been edited to show the new dates for the event.
I hope this does not cause a problem for anyone, and I hope you can all make it in Aug.

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 AM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

The king is dead. So is this now a NO-GO???
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
cagmo
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: codiddley

The king is dead. So is this now a NO-GO???
The CD for the 3d event at our field (Love-Air) decided not to do the event. Soooo...we are still going to do an event just low key. Everyone will be welcome to 3d. We are gonna just get our feet wet this year before we attempt another full blowout. This year it will be more or less a bunch of guys 3ding, cooking burgers and relaxing. We need to recruit more 3ders before we attempt a huge event. Will post details soon.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Hammbone

I was torn as to whether or not to reply here, but I feel that I need to let people know that I am no longer involved with this event in ANY way. Many of you already know, but the rest of you guys deserve to know what's going on too, so you can decide if you want to attend this event or not.

I have resigned as CD of this event due to yet another disagreement with this club. I will not be attending this event, and I am no longer even a member of that club.
All vendors and over $4,000 worth of sponsorship donations for this event have been canceled. I know of many pilots that have decided they won't be attending this event now either.

This was all set to be a great event, but yet another event has now been ruined by that club.

I understand that they are still going to have the event, "low key" is a polite way to put it.

Attend the event if you'd like to, but I wouldn't expect much.

Jim
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
flatspinjim

That's too bad. It sounds like it could have been a great event.
It stinks when club politics get in the way of fliers having fun!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

Hmmm... OK. This is a sad state of affairs. If I am available I will attend to meet and fly with fellow local 3D guys.

I'm going to give it a shot if I can.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
crazyjoseph

ORIGINAL: codiddley

Hmmm... OK. This is a sad state of affairs. If I am available I will attend to meet and fly with fellow local 3D guys.

I'm going to give it a shot if I can.
Thats a good attitude. Maybe it can blossom into something bigger in the future
Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mowhawk!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Can we bring glow and gas powered profiles? Most of these planes would be 40-90 size.
You certainly can now. Some narrow minded individuals would have not had it that way. One of the points of contention.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Hammbone

You know Rich,
It's funny how this same club ran another event that didn't allow small glow planes for 14 to 15 years, but you didn't have a problem with that event. Now all of a sudden you have a problem with not allowing small glow planes at an event. Gee I wonder why??????? You didn't call the people running that other event narrow minded. What's the difference?

Yes, glow planes are allowed now, and guess what......... 38 giant scale pilots have told me they are not going to attend the event now, because small glow planes are going to be allowed. You have made maybe 5 glow plane pilots happy, and you have made at least 38 giant scale pilots uninterested in attending the event. Is this the way to run an event? How about for once, maybe this club could do something in the interest of the MAJORITY instead of always catering to a small minority.

I was actually trying to include small glow planes in the event, in a way that would not alienate the giant scale pilots. I wanted to let small glow planes fly with the small electric planes on a different flight line, but the club officers said no to that. Of course you didn't know that, do you?
You obviously don't know a lot of things if you think this club doesn't have problems. Take your blinders off. People on the east coast know that this club has problems. How could you not know? I was at the Toledo show about 3 years ago, and I was wearing a Love-Air hat. 3 guys from the midwest part of the country stopped me and told me that Love-Air sucked. I asked them why? They proceeded to tell me that they drove 100's of miles to attend our Big Bird event, only to find out that 3D flying was banned from the event. What kind of idiots ban 3D flying from a Big Bird event? People that hate 3D, that's who. What this club does not understand is that 3D flying IS the most popular type of flying in this hobby today. Banning 3D from a Big Bird event and NOT telling anyone in advance, pissed off people all across the country. They did this over a period of several years. There are many, many people unhappy and upset with this club.

So now, some of us wanted to try and turn this club around. We wanted to erase the bad reputation this club has as a 3D hating club. We decided to actually put on a 3D event at this club.

However, what you (and this club) don't seem to understand now, is that a lot of giant scale 3D pilots have no interest in flying at a large 3D event with small glow planes. They are just not going to drive long distances to attend the event and fly with small glow planes. I had guys coming from CA, ND, TX, MT, NE, ID, eastrern CO, WY, UT, etc. Now none of them are coming. So now, you are going to have a handful of glow planes, and maybe a few local giant scale planes. Guess what the spectators come to see............... it isn't small glow planes. Now you're not going to have any spectators either because the giant scale pilots aren't coming. You have ruined the event. You've turned this event into a small, local yawner.

I never should have expected a club that hates 3D to be able to put on a 3D event in the first place.
This club saw that a big, successful 3D event was going to take place, and that was the last thing a lot of these 3D haters wanted, so they've done what they could to keep the event from being successful. Congratulations on ruining the event.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Hammbone

To my fellow Colorado 3D flyers,

If we are going to have a fun, successful 3D event in this area of the country, I suggest that we try and put on a good 3D event at a club that does not hate 3D. I should have known better than to try and have a 3D event at a club that hates 3D.

I've heard that there are some guys that have something else in the works at a different club. Maybe we will have some satisfaction before too long................

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 PM
vertical grimmace

It sounds like the 3d pilots are the ones with the problem if they cannot be all inclusive to all types of 3d models. Who cares what type of fuel they use? As far as spectators go, I don't know anyone that like to watch 1 airplane hover around all day. The most popular events in the nation right now are large scale warbirds. That is what the spectators want to see.
The Joe Nall event did not allow 3d either, until they created a second flight line, a luxury Love-air does not have. The original Big bird event was an IMAA based event and the criteria was big, over 80" span. Not big, hoverbatic, helicopter. That may be what it evolved into but again the club was trying to be all inclusive.
Hate is a mighty strong word and that is not something I have experenced at Love-air. I have never been involved with a club that was as open to so many different events. Jets, helicopters, IMAC, Racing, Combat, Warbirds, And yes even the Huckfest. Funny that alienating pilots that choose to use glow engines is what it takes to make your event large.
Don't forget Jim, we are here to have fun. I put up with enough $!%# at work, I do not need it with my hobby.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Hammbone

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Don't forget Jim, we are here to have fun. I put up with enough $!%# at work, I do not need it with my hobby.
That's exactly why I fly at a different club now.

You still haven't said why it's O.K. to exclude small glow planes from one event, but not another. An IMAA event exludes any aircraft under 80" wingspan, and that's exactly what I was going to do. An exclusion is an exlcusion, and it makes no sense that you would be upset over one, and not the other.
The Joe Nall never excluded 3D flying, They just eventually seperated 3D flying when the event got bigger.
Every event excludes some kind of flying, or some kind of aircraft in one way or another.
You'll never make everyone happy either, so you've got to cater an event toward the MAJORITY and please the MAJORITY. That's what this club just can NOT understand.

Warbirds are not the most popular aspect of this hobby, although they do seem to be becoming more popular.

You probably have never experienced the hate at Love-Air because you don't fly 3D.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM
vertical grimmace

I am not upset about anything Jim. The Big bird never disallowed anything I was flying. There is nothing in the IMAA rules not allowing glow fuel! I really do not see what difference it makes what the powerplant is in front of the plane, or even ho big it is. Honestly the "huck" thing is new to me but why dose it matter about the fuel? Is a Saito 220 still a small airplane? And what about a 40% electric model? Are those allowed? Or do they just not make enough noise?
I have been a CD for around 12 years. I have helped create an event that is now in the AMA rule book. I have also promoted many events throughout the years and you are not doing anyone any favors by alienating a type of plane because of some elitist "my plane is better than yours" attitude because of size and powerplant.
I wish you luck with you persuit for a really big 3D event. If you would have had a little lighter approach, you would not have had any trouble at Love-air. Not sure, but you might want to check the new by-laws for the Longmont club. They specifically stated origuinally "no events". They did lose their field because of noise. Maybe approach Chatfield? That place is great.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Hammbone

It has nothing to do with the type of engine. I was not going to allow planes smaller than 80" to fly with the giant scale planes. This is the exact same restriction that this club put on another event that they did for 14 or 15 years, but for some reason, neither you or the club officers had any problem with the exact same restriction then.

If someone had a glow engine or an electric engine on a plane bigger than 80", that would have been fine. Very few people fly 3D with glow planes above 80" though. The power to weight is no good. I just called them small glow planes because that's what they are.
Small electrics were allowed on their own dedicated flight line, so "small glow planes" defined what was not going to be allowed.

Now if it was up to me, I would have had all planes under 80" fly on one flight line, and all planes above 80" fly on the other flight line. The club officers said no to that though.

You're correct in saying that you don't know anything about 3D flying. Neither does most of the leadership of this club.
You're also talking about the Joe Nall event and the Longmont club, and it seems you don't know what you're talking about with those two subjects either.
May I suggest you stick to what you know.

I don't try to tell you how to run a pylon event or a control line event.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
vertical grimmace

Good luck Jim, I really mean it. It was fun flying combat with you. I wish you the best.