Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Post crash "what if?.."

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:50 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post crash "what if?.."

Some of a you read my horrible incident awhile back.

What if my throttle servo locked up or stalled (new Hitec 645 MG) would this strain my receiver and the A123 and switch and cause a complete loss of being able to move other servos?? If the receiver overloaded would the smart fly have cut off power?
Still sifting thru the mess.the throttle servo took some trauma,the gears are ok,but it is completely seized and not functional when plugged in.The throttle port is active and working normally.So far all components are working as usual.

post #1862
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...75/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Post crash "what if?.."

Take the Smartfly swicth apart and inspect the wiring. There have been a few with faulty solder joints. It a wire failed in the switch it cut the power to everything.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
nitro wing

If the switch went even for a second, the optikill would have cut the ignition??I did not hear the engine misfire at all,smooth all the way down.Bill sent another Taurus,EF another plane.
Everything is hooked up now all servos are bahaving normally all switches are working.The optikill is fully functional.Throttle servo took a hit in the botom case and is seized,took apart the casing,cant see anything weird.Pulled the gears,they seem ok,the motor seems seized though.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
T Erickson

Post crash investigations never are very satisfying.. always a lot more questions than answers. It sounds to me like you lost tx signal, and the rx went to hold/lockout, if the ignition kill didnt happen. when I lost my Extra, the aileron servo glitched so hard that it bent the titanium rod at 45 degrees....??? Take this opportunity to move on to 2.4 and dont look back. T.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
nitro wing

Many agree that I may have had a loss of range due to excessive arching from water in the sparkplug boot and or lead etc.
Not sure if 2.4 would have made a diff.
At the field yesterday I noted that I was flying on #36 when it went down.It dawned on me that I had covered 24+25 that day as usual and left 36 open [X(]Just checking with the guys now to see if 36 was used that day.
Perhaps I had myself shot down.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good point. You might want to convert to 2.4 Nitro. I just did that on my EF Extra and EF Yak. I bought the Spectrum Futaba tx module for my 9C and Spectrum 7 channel rx for $110. Actually bought two of them and have a spare tx module. Once I realized I could have these awsome planes shot down this summer, I couldn't leave the PCM in there anymore. It's time to upgrade my friend.

Here's some pic's of my Extra with the Spectrum AR7000.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97302.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1173215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70177.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1173216  
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you Joe. I wasn't going to switch but the more I thought about it, I realized that there is alot of time and cash in the air. I'll do anything to help prevent a crash. Hope you find the cause of the crash Nitro.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whups, actually that was my EF Yak. The colors were the same on top so I thought it was my Extra. Oh well they look the same.

PS: Nitro I do understand that you have enough money tied up into the new engine and ARF already. I had the same problem when I was just about done with my Yak....oh no I gotta spend more money? Thanks to Spectrum it wasn't more than $220 to do two planes. Futaba wanted $440 and that didn't include the spare tx module.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM
nitro wing

Ok,nobody on # 36 that day.
Yes,2.4 is an option that maybe exercised.
I think I will take a break for a bit,ripped out the landing gear on my 25% Sukhoi the other day.Fixed it,some wing damage too.Flew it 3X,then busted the gear out in a muddy section on the runway.Took out the stabs and tube.Not even 10 flights.
I'll play with foamies for a bit...[&:]