Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 250° F - is that too hot?

Yep, but with all that white I think he needs to sell some advertising space on the front of the baffle
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
    Now that's a good lookin baffle setup right there
    Thanks!! Hopefully it will make a difference.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Yep, but with all that white I think he needs to sell some advertising space on the front of the baffle
    LOL-
    Welcome to NJ...Where fun comes to die.
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: RTK

Put a couple of good sized lips, louvers, etc., in front of those back cut outs and it should increase draw. More air flow is always better.
    Are you talking about the open tunnel holes in the tail in Joe's pic ?
    After thinking about this I think it's best to do one or the other but not both. I'm willing to bet doing both might cause air to short circuit entering from the cowling bottom opening into the pipe tunnel. I think you want just one clear path for air flow....like you have it Joe. Air in through the front and out the bottom of the cowling. I'm tempted to do what Joe did and also block my pipe tunnel but have no temp measurment tool to verify if this works.
    Joe AP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort
    I'm tempted to do what Joe did and also block my pipe tunnel but have no temp measurment tool to verify if this works.
    When speaking with TOM about the baffle he actually suggested to open the last bay of the pipe tunnel to help with getting the hot air out. If I remember, he mentioned that a lot of times the hot air gets trapped behind the engine and firewall and will sometimes act like a convection..by having the tunnel open gives the air someplace to go (out the back).

If Im wrong about what he said Im sure he will check in
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In anything that one modifies to obtain a result they should only be done one item at a time with post change tests run to determine the effectiveness of the change.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was doing a re-engine over the weekend on an Extra with a DLE-55. I used a piece of balsa angle stock and some balsa sheet to make a lip on the bottom opening of the cowling. I covered the lip with matching covering on the outside. I'll post pic's. I'm hoping this will help keep it cool. One thing though, the inlet area is too big IMO but I don't want to fugly it all up with blocks. Plus I need to see the needles from the front opening.
    Joe AP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also made another changeBecause the opening in the oil pan was so big, I added 3 more louvers so the whole bottom is covered.
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a chance to fly my 110" EF Yak with the new baffle today. I noticed that the engine was running a lot richer so Im assuming the baffle was doing its job. I leaned it out about 1/8 turn and it cleared right out.
    Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123