Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

250° F - is that too hot?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

250° F - is that too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 250° F - is that too hot?

Yep, but with all that white I think he needs to sell some advertising space on the front of the baffle
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
Now that's a good lookin baffle setup right there
Thanks!! Hopefully it will make a difference.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Yep, but with all that white I think he needs to sell some advertising space on the front of the baffle
LOL-
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: RTK

Put a couple of good sized lips, louvers, etc., in front of those back cut outs and it should increase draw. More air flow is always better.
Are you talking about the open tunnel holes in the tail in Joe's pic ?
After thinking about this I think it's best to do one or the other but not both. I'm willing to bet doing both might cause air to short circuit entering from the cowling bottom opening into the pipe tunnel. I think you want just one clear path for air flow....like you have it Joe. Air in through the front and out the bottom of the cowling. I'm tempted to do what Joe did and also block my pipe tunnel but have no temp measurment tool to verify if this works.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort
I'm tempted to do what Joe did and also block my pipe tunnel but have no temp measurment tool to verify if this works.
When speaking with TOM about the baffle he actually suggested to open the last bay of the pipe tunnel to help with getting the hot air out. If I remember, he mentioned that a lot of times the hot air gets trapped behind the engine and firewall and will sometimes act like a convection..by having the tunnel open gives the air someplace to go (out the back).

If Im wrong about what he said Im sure he will check in
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In anything that one modifies to obtain a result they should only be done one item at a time with post change tests run to determine the effectiveness of the change.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was doing a re-engine over the weekend on an Extra with a DLE-55. I used a piece of balsa angle stock and some balsa sheet to make a lip on the bottom opening of the cowling. I covered the lip with matching covering on the outside. I'll post pic's. I'm hoping this will help keep it cool. One thing though, the inlet area is too big IMO but I don't want to fugly it all up with blocks. Plus I need to see the needles from the front opening.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Josey Wales

I also made another changeBecause the opening in the oil pan was so big, I added 3 more louvers so the whole bottom is covered.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Josey Wales

Got a chance to fly my 110" EF Yak with the new baffle today. I noticed that the engine was running a lot richer so Im assuming the baffle was doing its job. I leaned it out about 1/8 turn and it cleared right out.