Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Using a Water Bottle for a Fuel Tank

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Using a Water Bottle for a Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Using a Water Bottle for a Fuel Tank

I am just wondering how a real bad landing or a crash of some sort. Is that pop bottle going to turn into a fire bomb? I think with gas...I may stay with a more heavy material. I am not really trying to scare others...just cautious Capt,n
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how to hold it, considering it is so flexible (when not pressurized) ?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Gasoline tanks are not under muffler pressure, so I'm not sure about the need of using aluminum caps to seal it extra tight. I could see metal caps use in those tanks that get high pressure from YS pumped engines. I have seen this plastic cap/tank application in nitro ducted fan jets that have lots of tank pressure too. Anyway, you guys have pointed out that the key is being able to use a clear bottle so you can see better gas level and tygon lines condition. We all have had dead sticks because sometimes the tygon line will stiffen up and not move freely. This allows monitoring of that. I think the advantage here is worth the hassle of making tanks yourself. Thanks for the illustration.
Regarding crash testing, it might be good idea for us to throw our test bottle filled with water into the ground to see if they burst
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I noticed that the Fuji square water bottle is fairly thin plastic, compared to the Pepsi/Sierra Mist round bottles.
I think the tougher round bottles are better for gasoline application.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went the water bottle method just recently...i went with 20 oz'ers for my 50ccs planes, and one liter for my 80cc. I went this route because it is a P I T A changing stoppers yearly, especially when you use solder on fuel barbs theres a HUGE thread on Flying G i ants its like 55 pages long. I got some great ideas from there. Here is one of the tanks i did i purchased all the fuel fittings at http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fittings.htm and sealed them with seal-all http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm the local auto parts store carries it
Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
prelude92

Hey Jake,
Thank you for posting that DYS fuel tank a couple of years ago. Question: where did you get those metal compression plates you used on the stoppers?

Thanks in advance for your response

JC Reyes
Sherman Oaks, CA