Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AeroWorks 35% Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:04 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroWorks 35% Extra 300

Has anybody put any of these together?

We just got three of them and beginning our build process.

Would like to know if there is anything to look for, any necessary mods, etc.

Plane looks to be of great quality (and great weight). Lots of options and things well thought and laid out.

Most hardware looks quite usable. Gas tank and wheels are not going to do the trick. Will have to replace them with quality items...
Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AeroWorks 35% Extra 300

Do you have photos and did you get three of the same color? And may I ask why you don't like the tank and wheels?? Are you goig to a bigger size tank or what? Okay thanks Eric
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

There are a few threads on f lying g iants. One or two is a build thread. One of those build threads was in the AW support forum, if I remember correctly.

One of the best looking planes in the ARF market right now!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 AM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

We are building the Yellow scheme with 3W-110 for power on std mufflers. I have seen many Aeroworks over the years and they just keep getting better. Mods???? The only thing I do outside the box is different wheels and I go over every visible joint with Mercury Thin CA but not a requirement. Word of caution when using a heat gun or iron be absolutely careful with the Silver covering in fact stay away... Good Luck on your build!

This plane or any Aeroworks does not require you to reinvent the wheel...

Perry
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
yarom

We already figured out that if no tuned pipes are used, a good portion of the tunnel can be safely removed (behind the rudder servos)...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
yarom

OK. Here are the summaries and some reflections on the build process of 3 of these airplanes in our club. We actually had 4 of them built in the last couple of months.

Quality - Great. No other word to describe build and finish, covering, accessories, etc.

Accessories - Great. We have our own preferences in some areas and replaced a few parts:

The fuel tank was replaced with a B&B Specialties 32oz. which we like better.
Replaced the wheels in some of our planes with nicer, aluminum hub wheels.
Replaced the horn screws with socket head servo screws. the ones provided tend to strip.
Pull/pull setup - we did use in some cases the Don's Hobbies HD pull/pull cable and fittings.

Optional accessories - We have chosen some specific parts which went really well with this plane:

Pull/pull - The instructions show the standard (provided) Hitec arms. We picked the Secraft arms instead and they work extremely well.
Canisters - Both the MTW 75 and the 75K worked very well. They were a simple drop in and bolt. A pleasure to install.
Tailwheel - The one provided is nice. For balancing purposes, one was replaced with a CF tailwheel setup.
Tubes - I replaced mine with the CF setup (front and back). We discovered an issue with the aluminum tube which has grounded all other three. I will elaborate on this further down.
Power expander - We all used the Power Expander Pro, which works very well and takes care on a variety of functions.
Servos - We all used 7955s and 5955s - can't beat these servos for flexibility, power and reliability.
Engines - We used 3 DA-100Ls and One DL-111. The DAs' are so reliable and powerful out of the box, with a 27x10. Great engine and great experience.
Turnbuckles - I replaced mine with H9 titanium. Just had them around and I like them.
Fuel dot - We used for the first time the new Secraft unit that combines a safety switch with a fuel dot. Wroks great and looks great.
Servo arms - We used the new Secraft servo arms. Strong and smooth. Seem to be as good or better than SWB.

Mods - We did make some minor modifications. The most significant one is the cutting of the pipe tunnel (when using canisters), either to the last ply pipe support former (end of the hatch opening) or further forward, with a diagonal piece of balsa directing the flow out through the bottom aft hatch. Saves a few oz. and the engine seems to be still running cool.

Issues - We lost one of our Extras last weekend during an IMAC competition. The wing aluminum tube snapped and broke clean during a maneuver, in what can only be described as a manufcturing defect. I can comprehend a wing breaking during a violent snap (like we have recently seen with the PAU 36% Edge), but not the tube itself. Crash analysis shows the aluminum tube cleanly breaking at the sidewall mark, with the remaining portion still in the wing tube socket. Looking at the cross-cut section shows the tube wall being of uneven material all around.
As a result we have grounded our other 2 Extras (mine being already converted to CF tubes) and are awaiting a clarification from AeroWorks on this issue. From past dealings with them, we anticipate they will do the right thing and take care of this issue and the crash.

Balance - while we had some minor variances (some of the planes had choke servos and some had the rudder servos in the back), overall the plane ends up being tail heavy with our standard configuration (DA-100L and canisters). As a result, the radio batteries (typically LiIon 2600mah or A123 2300mah) ended up ahead of the fuel tank and in some cases, the ignition battery as well. Overall, not hard to balance, just wait with your batteries to the last moment and install them after a thourough CG check.

Overall impressions -
This is a great kit and a great flying plane. Putting it together was really fast, as so much is already done for you (that why it's a QB).
While the plane is slightly heavy (2 lbs more than my H9 Extra with the exact same gear), it actually flies light and precise.
Quality overall is extremely high - on par with the likes of Extreme Flight. Fit and finish are to the highest tolerances.
The issue still remains with the wing tube structural rigidity. It is however, a serious one, as it seems the plane cannot be flown safely with the current provided tubes.

cheers.