Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

my 1st giant, set up questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

my 1st giant, set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my 1st giant, set up questions

ORIGINAL: f5air

sounds good. Well right now is time to search for the best combo/price at different shops. Im selling a few things to complete this project. Also i have some questions, i like the extra 260/300 and the Edge 540T. Can you guys please tell me whats the main difference in flying, landings and 3D for the 3 airplanes. As i said before my .60 Edge can land really good at slow speeds and i like that. Also one more question, some people says that the 7955 is a overkill servo for 50cc, i dont think i will get 100cc on the future(at least i need to buy a bigger, car, house and rooms lol so is not soon). What should be a servo that work fast and fine on this size. Of course is important to see the difference in price cause if is not much, well we can get the 7955.

7985's will work fine but it's only 8 dollars more to get a 7955 through troybuilt. The 7955 has a much better gear set and quite a bit more torque so it's smart to go ahead and get them to start with. If you have to change the gears in one 7985 it will cost more than buying all 7955's to start with. If you already have some 7985's use them without hesitation, but its better to spend a little extra when buying them and get the better servo.

As far as the difference between all the planes. A Extra 260 from one manufacture will not fly the same as another. All of our planes are "Tweaked" to some extent. I've owned or flown all the models of planes you asked about, and here is my opinion. There are several different versions of the Extra 300. I prefer the standard mid wing Extra 300 over them all. The edges are very docile and tend to be great harrier, hover, torque roll planes, but don't feel to get in a groove as good as an Extra. The planes (300's & 540T's) with larger canopy's tend to couple a little less in knife edge due to a little more equal surface area above and below the wing. The scale elevators without counterbalances seem to make a 260 not have as good of elevator authority. To me the Mid Wing Extra 300 seems to be a great platform. It tends to track very well and 3D great. But like I said earlier, Two of the same model planes from two different manufacturers will fly different depending on how they were designed.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

cjc, thanks a lot for your opinion, i think i will keep in my list the 7955 then, so at least i have already done my shopping list on engine, servos, electronic power supply and ext. Here is what im getting:

5 x HS-7955 servos
1 x HS-7985
A123 batteries and charger
HD switches w/charge jacks
Aluminum spinner
22 X 8 propeller
4.8V 2500mAh Battery
DLE55 cc

And now...my mind is trying to see which airplanes is the best to go, i like all the brands, but to be honest never have a giant scale before so dont know whats the way to go. To be clear is different for me a manufacturer that makes smalls planes and giants, and some other that just make giants....dont know. Personally i just saw the finish of aeroworks and looks awesome, some people says that wild hare is great to so right now i just want to get something that will make my 3D learning more easy and of course, the approach and landing not so hard...so i can save my $1700 usd investment.

The airplanes that are on my list are:
Wildhare 540T V2
Aeroworks 260
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
diviatix

Get the 7955s f5air, you will never regret it.

Here's my story: Started with giantscale using 5645s based on a sinergy review. Developed "slop" in the gear train very quickly, as such i lost confidence in their ability to deliver what my instructions to my plane were - they didn't survive my first giant scale crash.

Then I went with 5955's and 7955's. These servos are strong, fast, center well and do not develop "slop". Get titanium gear servos - mine are like new and have gone through trees, pancakes, dead sticks and all the other nasty stuff that you hope won't but always does happen.

Yes, they are great if you decide to move larger - that's a plus. Yes, they are fast and strong - that's a plus. The gear train is precise in a way few others are and it stays precise - that is invaluable.

You will not lose your confidence that the servo is doing what you tell it to do. Helps move your skills forward.

*** Oh btw, DEFINITELY get the kill switch as recommended above. I run the smartfly too, aside from the stated "emergency cutoff", its just darned handy to be able to kill your plane elegantly as it taxis off the field.

On the airframe thing. You can't go wrong with your two finalists. I have not owned a WH plane yet - but I know enough about their service and build to say they are a good option.

On aeroworks, I currently fly an AW 260. Man, let me tell ya - I have beat this plane worse than anything I've ever owned. 20 foot hover deadsticks - high alpha crunch landings - hangar rash and countless other flubs. It is unquestionably the toughest plane I've owned - and I have owned a lot of reputable planes. For me the nod goes to Aeroworks - not because of a hugely greater quality - but because of the robustness their planes have personally shown me during my 3d learning curve.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I think your list is perfectly suitable. While there's 1-2 things on there I, personally, might do differently in one of my own airplanes, there's nothing on there that i think will give you problems, or create an unsafe situation.

And I agree with Andrew....I think either of your two finalists will be a fine choice for an airframe. Like Andrew (admittedly, on the other end of the scale) I can't say I've ever heard a bad thing about the AW birds, and can vouch for the excellent quality and support of WH birds. I'd wager you'll have great success with either.

I WILL offer this insight...and it absolutely falls in the 'for what it's worth' category. This is an awfully subjective viewpoint here, but here it is:

Your choice of airframe might just come down to some specifics of what you like in airplanes...specifics that have nothing to do with brand name, but instead are related to the airplane being modeled. By their very design (owing largely to the sweep...or lack of it...in the leading edge of the wings) the Extra and Edge have certain characteristics that differ from each other.

Extras tend to be "snappers"...and I don't mean this in a bad way. They tumble with ease, start and stop snaps very crisply, cleanly, and precisely, and are widely regarded as the superior "precision aerobatics/IMAC style" airplane of the two. They do not, however, tend to be quite as stable in high alpha situations (harriers, for example), and tend to want to rock the wings a bit and fall off to one side or the other when stalled.

On the flip side, Edges tend to excel at high alpha stuff. Harriers can be flown at ridiculously slow speeds, with no evident wing rock. Stalls are frequently very gentle nose-down and we're flying again events, and the airplane is very forgiving of "mistakes" in these attitudes. They also tend to be very crisp and precise in rolls. Unlike the Extra, however, snaps can be pretty sloppy, if not downright impossible to start and stop cleanly. The edcge is not an airplane that likes to tumble, and it'll whine about it if you ask it to. For this reason, it is frequently seen as a poor choice for precision routines requiring clean and precise breaks.

While my own personal experience (a .40 sized Extra, .60 sized Edge, 50cc Extra, and 100cc Edge) has roughly followed the descriptions above, those are VERY general "traits" of the two airframes, and any particular airplane, pilot, manufacturer, or airframe may minimize, enhance, or eliminate some of those traits. I present them here merely as starting points for discussion and research on your part.

As they say, YMMV.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

You're right about the general characteristics. I have found though that there is a wide range of slow speed characteristics in the Extra's.

I've flown a bunch of different Extra's ranging from little electrics up to 40% Cardens and some composites. Pretty much all of them tend be good at drawing lines and snapping. The biggest difference I have seen is in the slow speed characteristics. Depending on the particular brand/design they can range from a snappy wing rocking plane or be as stable high alpha as any Edge. My 88" Extreme Flight Extra is one of the most stable 50cc planes I have ever flown. I also had a Creek Hobbies 120 size Extra a couple years ago that was the exact opposite. It would snap out if you just breathed on the elevator wrong. The Aeroworks Extra's are cool planes. They are a smaller plane than a lot of the newer 50cc planes, but fly well. The last Wildhare plane I bought was the Edge 540T V2. I was very dissatisfied with the transaction and don't plan to buy another Wildhare plane. So I'm a little biased when it comes to Wildhare planes. I sold the 540T V2 to a friend and he likes it. Another one of my friends has the 88" 540. I've flown them and they fly fine. I wouldn't say they do anything better than my EF Extra, But the Extra has a much more locked in feel at all speeds.

When comparing prices, don’t forget the Wild Hare doesn't come with hardware and it has to be purchased separately. When you add that to the fact we have to pay tax living in Texas it changes the price equation.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Here is something for your info, lots of links of acft stuff
http://www.blaineaustin.com/links.htm

good luck

Bill
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM
JOHNS3D

hi there everyone...thanks a lot for the comments, right now its much more clear about all this. Im just need to save some money for the 50cc, i have for the 35cc, which is also tenting me to be honest... its like $400-$500 usd of difference from 35cc to 50cc.

BTW one question.....we are talked on servos for rudder, elevator, aileron, whats the best match for the throttle, i saw some comments about avoid using digis on th. due vibration.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
JOHNS3D

well here is my setup...i hope all of you can tell me what do you think about it.

-Aeroworks Extra 260
-DLE-55 >
-HS-7955 servos (aileron, rudder, elevator)
-HS-7985 Servo (throttle)
-A123 batteries (see note at the end).
-Battery Backer for A-123 set up
-3 x HD switches w/charge jacks & Ext.
-Aluminum 3-1/2" drilled spinner
-Fuel dot and gas Tygon gas line
-4.8V 2500mAh Battery for ignition.

So now... should go with the Sahara Futaba in JR out + Turn Sahara into Switch & Regulator + Relion 2600 battery?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:59 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

f you wanted to go Nimh they have packs out now that can handle high current loads. Here is a link to hangtimes.com scroll down to the Sanyo HR-4/5FAUP packs. Those packs can handle 40 amps. I ordered them for my EF Extra 50cc. http://www.hangtimes.com/giantrxpacks.html
Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 PM
JOHNS3D

thanks..!!! my proyect is done...went with 2600 mah fromeco liion with smart fly regulator for the ignition and 5200 mah fromeco for the rx with sahara regulator.