Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

What new plane for my DL50?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What new plane for my DL50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What new plane for my DL50?

I have a Hangar 9 27% 260 that I bought with a DL50 in it.Flies good but I think it's a little heavy.Just picked up a new in box Hangar 9 Cap232g that looks great but I'm told that it too is a little on the heavy side.Thought about selling both and getting an Edge540 V2 from Wildhare.I'm told these are lighter and great flying planes.What do you guys think?Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What new plane for my DL50?

Yep go with a bigger frame. That engine can pull an 88" aerobat no problem. Putting it on anything under 84" is a waste of its power. I have the 50 on an 88" Extreme Flight Yak and a 55 on an 88" Extreme Flight Extra. At around 17.5 pounds they fly awesome. The Wildhare 88" Edge would be great.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 AM
flyerdave

I have been looking at the extreme flight 50 size planes,but there is a pretty big price difference between the wildhare and the extreem flight.Is there that much difference between the quality/flight characteristics of the two?Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I have 2 Wildhares. The quality is top notch and the service you get from Tom is second to none!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

I have 2 Wildhares. The quality is top notch and the service you get from Tom is second to none!

I still fly the older Extra Special and I love it. The Edge you mention was a staple at my field for years, awesome flier with no real bad habits so if you choose that route you will be very happy

WH planes are great fliers and they are priced well too.. In the 50cc market there is a plethora of choices now

WildHare, AeroWorks, EF to name a few. Good luck with whatever you choose

Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I am considering one of these for my next 50 cc plane.
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=374

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM
flyerdave

What about Airwild Hobbies 29% 260?Looks like a pretty good plane,lightweight,and good looks.Does anyone out there have one.Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Stu26

How about the new Dietrich Edge?

[link]http://www.dietrichaircraft.com/files/50CCEdge540featuresFinal.pdf[/link]
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 AM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Dave,
Any of those aircraft mentioned will work fine with that 50cc engine. If you are not in a rush and want to see some of those flying then come on over to Piedment Aeromodelers Fall Fly-in Sept 25-27. See them up close and personal.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

What about Airwild Hobbies 29% 260?Looks like a pretty good plane,lightweight,and good looks.Does anyone out there have one.Thanks for the feedback.
I had the AirWild Extra. Great customer service from the AirWild guys. Good company to deal with. This plane is by far the lightest 50CC plane out there. The specs and weights are very accurate. Mine weighed 14lbs 12ozs. That's right...less than 15lbs ready to fly less fuel.

It flew very precise and would 3D pretty well also. I would have like to have had a little more elevator throw. If I was building it again I'd allow for that. KE was very good, Harriers were nice and solid, Rolling circles a piece of cake, Hovers were easy. I liked the way it flew. Water falls and flips etc. I felt like I needed a little bit more elevator throw.

I built it just exactly like the manual stated and the weight and balance were exactly on. Very nice. Manual was very detailed and very complete/informative.

I really like the plane. A friend of mine who I gave an Ultra Stick 60 to...mid aired me with the plane I gave him. Gave the Extra to a friend who repaired it and still flys it today.

I can fully recommend this airplane. Only thing you should be aware of it doesn't allow for a canister style muffler. Only pitts style. So.....if noise is an issue.....this plane is harder to get quiet.

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

I have been looking at the extreme flight 50 size planes,but there is a pretty big price difference between the wildhare and the extreem flight.Is there that much difference between the quality/flight characteristics of the two?Thanks
I would have to really put together one of the Wildhare Edges and fly it to answer this. You can't go wrong with either brand.