Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ace R/C 4-120 Bipe/Ultimate 10-300 Kit Bash

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ace R/C 4-120 Bipe/Ultimate 10-300 Kit Bash

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace R/C 4-120 Bipe/Ultimate 10-300 Kit Bash

Does anybody have any info on this ... Some time ago there was a kit bash article on revamping an Ace R/C 4-120 biplane into a "sorta" Ultimate 10-300. Any recollection on the magazine (RC Modeler?) and the issue? TIA for any help.

Mike
Old 07-01-2003, 05:06 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

The article was in the Fall of 1993. I remeber cause I picked it up so I could bash one during a 4 month hitch at work... Never got around to building it.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:24 AM
1Eye

akflyer wrote ...
The article was in the Fall of 1993.
>>>>

That's my recollection too. I went to the RCM website and drilled through all their plans/articles listings but didn't find any revealing titles. Maybe I'll call 'em up and see if they have better memory than we do. If anybody else lurking out there has more specific info I'd sure appreciate it.

Mike
Old 07-04-2003, 10:26 AM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Default 4-120/Ultimate kit bash

Happy Fourth of July!
There have been two bashes of the 4-120 Bipe:
The one mentioned above is from the 11/93 issue of RCM - plan #1155.
Prior to this, Dick Sarpolus did the same thing in Flying Models, 5/91 - plan CF-854. I have the FM plan (I think it's better looking than the RCM plan) and was hoping to scratch build it, but the drawing is a bit vague. With a kit you would be fine, although the Ace aluminum gear isn't available any longer. If you do build it from the kit, be aware that the fuse (especially) and the tail will be heavy. I am a huge fan of Doc Mathews and his designs, but my 4-120 mono was a heavy dog! I would lighten the fuse wherever you can.
Take care,
Craig
Old 07-04-2003, 01:03 PM
1Eye

DRCRAIG wrote ...
The one mentioned above is from the 11/93 issue of RCM - plan #1155.
>>>>

Yup. I had an email exchange yesterday with Jim Pearson (Tech. Ed.) at RCM and he shot back with the same info. Jim told me they pulled the plans from the RCM website plans listing because the kit is no longer in production. Thanks for the other info too.

Mike
Old 07-10-2003, 08:10 PM
1Eye

Default Scratch Build Alternative

DRCRAIG wrote ...
Prior to this, Dick Sarpolus did the same thing in Flying Models, 5/91 - plan CF-854. I have the FM plan (I think it's better looking than the RCM plan) and was hoping to scratch build it, but the drawing is a bit vague.
>>>>

I'm familiar with Dick's approach too but, as you suggest, his plans are typically not that detailed. I found an Ace 4-120 on eBay but the bidding got too steep ... [;{
Looking at the RCM kit bash plans, it'll be easy to scratch one (with foam-cored wings) and that's just what I'm gonna do; plus follow your advise on ensuring the fuselage (esp. the tail) comes out as light as possible. The other parts - e.g., canopy, L/G, wheelpants - are all doable since there's a variety of aftermarket sources. For example, a slightly modified UltraSport 1000 canopy (still available from Great Planes) looks like a good choice and then there's TnT for landing gear.

I ordered the plans (#1155) from RCM today ($12 + 6 s/h) and I'm eager to get started. The only thing I'm not decided on is whether to use my ST3000 or Saito180GK - thoughts?

Mike
Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TCBenson
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Scratch Build Alternative

Hi Mike,
I recently purchased an Ace 4-120 biplane. It has ailerons on the lower wing only.
Would you happen to remember where the CG location is? Also, mine came without a cowl. What shape is the cowl if you might recall?
Thanks for any help.
Terry