Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Cermark Extra 260 Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cermark Extra 260 Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
wjcalhoun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cermark Extra 260 Landing Gear

Guys
I need some advice on landing gear for my Cermark Extra 260 (.90-1.20). It has an OS AX 1.20 two-stroke, 3600 mAH battery, and hitec digital ht mg servos througout. Flies great, excellent vertical.

The problem is the LG. I fly from a Texas grass field, which has tough grass, surface irregularities, etc. The main LG on the airframe are attached to a very light ply interior deck which has broken once when the wheels tripped on a surface irregularity. I beefed up the deck, and added a little bit of structural wood to transfer those rotational loads forward to the firewall, changed out the steel bolts for 1/4-20 nylon bolts secured into washers and nuts above the mounting deck, but had another deformation (gear rotated backward about 10 degrees) yesterday during the roll-out from a perfect touchdown. Landing was fine - no bounce - so I don't think it was dumb thumbs this time

Obviously for my field, the LG mounting is not strong enough.

I am planning to install light aluminum L-stock (3/4 x 3/4) on the mounting deck with the stock extending from the gear mounting bolts longitudinally forward across the mounting deck, to tie into the back of the firewall. Should only add a couple of ounces, so I'm not that concerned about the weight.

Has anyone had a similar issue with this airframe, and if so, how did you solve it? Are there better general approachs for strengthening LG mounts?

Thanks in advance