Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
mdgtmstng
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

What would be a good set of control throws to start out with on the Weeks, say to get used to the airplane, before getting seriously aerobatic with it?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi mdgtmstng. You can use as much throw as you want, if you set up the expos. The throws I'm using now, 3/4-1" on the ailerons, 30% expo. 2" on the elevator, 60% expo, all I can get on the rudder, 30% expo. After you have flown it for awhile if anything you'll want to increase the throws, because it isn't a touchy or squirrely plane. It goes where you point it, it will be sensitive but not ugly like smaller planes. With a Sachs 3.2, it is fast, something you'll have to keep your attention on when it's flying.

3232, I covered my first one with SuperShrink Coverite, and painted it. But after an accident, I stripped it all off and covered it with Monokote, it lost 2 lbs. Just thought you might like to know.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 AM
mdgtmstng
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks a million! Mine has a G-62 up-front... lots of giddy-up! I've flown it twice, and found the airplane needing alot more rudder in flight (it was fine on the takeoff's), and a bit more elevator. I've got it set now to 1.5" up/down on the elevators, .75" on the ailerons, and about 2" or so on the rudder. In flight, it was yank n' bank to get the airplane turned around, as the rudder seemed ineffective. I also set my CG a tad fwd of the aft cabane strut, and it flew slightly nose-heavy, most notably on the landings.

Ed
Old 12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Guys

My old bird had the C/G 1/4 ahead of the aft cabane and it did land a bit nose heavy but did not tuck when flying inverted so I figured it was to close to change. never tried the expo just used duel rates for the first few flights.

One thing I did find was mix in about 10% rudder with your aileron and you will get good clean turns but you have to hold a bit of up.

This bird if rigged like the real one flies all most the same as the real ones, and from what I learned from my old one you have to stay well ahead of it as GreaTOne65 said it goes ware it is pointed.

As I am checking this new bird out I am finding things I will have to correct. Now questions how much of the control horns are sticking out of your ailerons. hears what I have and I don't think it is enough

Well system will not upload so will try later

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
GreaTOne_65

Because I'm not where the bird is, I can't show you how the horns were set up on my plane or how they were set up on the original Miles Reed plans. What I think I can tell you will make so sense though.
32, when I read about you believeing you needed to mix in some rudder with the ailerons, a bell went off. The Weeks had the hinges on the ailerons mounted within an 1/8 inch of the top of the aileron, the horn was mounted inside of the aileron with about 2 holes of a large nylon horn poking through. The ailerons have a bevel from top to bottom, what that does is create a differential. Neither of my Weeks were naughty in the turns, not unlike the GP Christian Eagle was. What the differential does is make the airplane groovy in the turns, no rudder needed.
One of the things I've done was mix the rudder to the throttle. Makes the take off's easier, and the landings much better because with the throttle down the rudder is at neutral.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM
rt3232

GreaTone65

my plans are from when Jim and his wife (can't remember there last name) were kitting this bird in there basement, as I remember about 2 years befor ACE bought them out. (about 22years back)
Any way on my plan it showes as you discribed the horn mounted inside the aileron and on a 1/8 doubler which put 3 holes out side, and what I have is just barely 2 so I have some reservations.

Spent most of today trimming the wing sadle when checking the lower wing to the data line it had 2 1/2 deg's positive and my old plans call for 0, and I did not get any plans with this purchase at Toledo, So will make it like the old plans. With the little things I have found so far to change this will be an all winter project.

Speeking of winter we are having a major snow storm and under blizard condtions per the weather guys we have a foot of new snow, but I have a driift in front of my house that is chest hi abour 30" wide and about 90 feet long shoveled 12inches off the deck so the dog could cget ot side she steped off the steps and disapeared little bugger just about came un glued

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
GreaTOne_65

Hey, Bob. I wouldn't worry to much about the horn, as all it will take is a little longer servo arm to get the throw you need. Be sure and use 4 servos, as the reason I lost my first one was I used a push rod for the top wing, and the left side fluttered and blew the wings on the left side. The Weeks I have now has 4 servos, and I have done some very high speed dives with no problems.

The incedence on the wing is quite another subject, and you are addressing that, it definately needs attention.

I have been watching the weather, looks ugly! Good time to stay indoors and tinker airplanes. Here in AZ. we were at 76 today, with calm winds! Unbelieveable weather. Going to see about going to the field tomorrow, put another couple flights on a 42" Sparky, as that is all I have room for.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
rt3232

GreaTone 65

my old bird had push rods and never had a problem they were just 4/40 wire, this one is set up for push rods but I would stiffen them up and I don't realy want to dig into the upper wing. I think the orig builder must have built the ailerons first and then changed his mind about 4 servos, any way I will work it out one way or the outher.
Did get the lower wing at the "0" to the thrust/data line and the horzintal is at +1 deg, engine is at 1 deg down, and 1 right, so I think I am making progress. Got stuck on med leave from work till the 27th, so will have alot of time

cheers Bob t
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
GreaTOne_65

Sounds, good Bob, except for the push rods. Right here I should interject, in '86 when I built the first one, S148 servos were the norm. Since then there has been great strides in the servo department. I flew the first one for 10 years before it left me. After thinking about it some more, I didn't have problems with flutter until I changed to monokote. What I attribute that to, is the weight with the SuperShrink, was heavier, come to think of it up until that time I was running a Q 42. The problem started with the Sachs, and Monokote. When it did it the first time, was at a fly-in, downleg of a big loop. I took it home and balanced the ailerons, with some brake line and lead spades on them. I had already sealed the hinge line, so balancing was the only other recourse. It did work, but when it crashed, the one on the top wing was gone, so I figured that was what killed her.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 AM
heavydriver
My Feedback: (1)

Tell us more about the "brake line and lead" for spades. Is this "spades" as in like the real ones?[sm=idea.gif]
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
GreaTOne_65

I wish I could take a picture of one of them, but I fear they have been long since lost. Maybe I can explain it to you. I used brake tubing because it is steel, and the field we were flying was grass, and I didn't want them falling off because they wouldn't be strong enough. I think it was 3/16" diameter. I went to a tire shop, brought home a bunch of old tire weighs and melted them down. Here's the tricky part, At TSC or it used to be Quality Farm and Fleet they had vulcanizing tire patches. You scuffed up the tube at the hole, peeled of the protective plastic, and with a special clamp, clamped the patch which was shaped in a double triangle, with a burning agent inside. You applied the patch to the tire, put the clamp on and light the agent with a match, best tire patch ever devised, always worked, and when it was burned out the trangle was my mold for the weighs. Being that the mold was double, I poured the hot lead in, and after it cooled, I cut them in too, flatten one end of the brake line, drilled holes in them and bolted them together. Then it was a simple job to drill a hole in the aileron, pointing forward, so the weigh was forward of the hinge line, adjust them back and forth until the surface would hang level. I marked them, and then glued them in. I know after reading this it sounds complicated, but after you get started it's really quite simple and it works. The question, about whether they looked like the real ones is yes, I didn't want them to be ugly, they really did look like real.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM
rt3232

Works for me,
But in looking at old pic's of the bird kermit did his aerobatics in I don't see any counter balance on the exterior. Will keep looking as I am a long way from dealing with the ailorns at this time
may next step is to get the upper wing on and alined up right.

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
GreaTOne_65

I met and talked to Kermit Weeks at an aerobatic competition, many years ago. They weren't used/needed on the full scale version. I don't rightly know how the interconnection on the ailerons were on the full scale. On the Byron Pitts I had, they had a rod inserted into the front of the ailerons, pointed forward of the two surfaces, and a hole in both wings for the push rod to work. On the Byron Pitts that push rod was the balance for the ailerons. The instructions indicated the rod was built of a 440 rod with an air foil shaped aluminum tube, that was to be filled with lead shot to weigh 2oz. That was part of the reason I balanced the ailerons on the Weeks, after they fluttered the first time.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
rt3232

GreaTone_65

Been busy with another project called snow removal.
Anyway will get back to the weeks sone
Cheers Bob T
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
GreaTOne_65

Not to worry, that snow/work has to come first! Up where you live, it's a priority if you want to do anything. How much have you got?
Take care, my friend, stay warm.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 AM
rt3232

GreaT ome_65
Hears some pic' I took for out familt out in cal ware I am originaly from. In the city of Hastings offical tally was 17.4 but around town alot got more and a fwe got lesswind was just right to give us drifts in front and back yards that are chest hi

Cheers Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18862.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1534796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57770.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1534797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47733.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1534798  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM
GreaTOne_65

Hey, Bob! I hope sombody drained the water hose!! LOL!! Looks like more work than I want to do! Geez!! Looks like you could use some skis though? Where's your snow Hot Rods??
Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 AM
rt3232

Hi GreaT one_65

Thr hose was not drained, but not a loss it was 17 years old and vary thin due to draging it arounf had several duct tspe spot wrap's on it.
Did manage to get front walk cleared snd the porch, so now I am ready for the next blast comming out of the rockins.

Back to the weeks got it particaly assembled snd trying to check fit snd incedance of the top wing, turns out the orig builder did not get the 2 center mounts aligned up as well as they should be but at first look should not be a big deal

Hear is a side view with the bird sitting on foam stand whit wing at "0"

Cheers Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47442.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1535967  
Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 AM
GreaTOne_65

17 years old? Hell I can't get on to last 17 days, seems like sometimes!!LOL!!
The Weeks looks good! Have the ailerons been built? When I built the one in the picture, I had built the fuselage, glued the tail on, and it sat in the corner for nearly 10 years while I played with ARF's. About 5 years ago I built the bottom wing, 3 years ago, I got to feeling guilty and built the top wing, but then it took me a 2 years to get ambition enough to build the ailerons! The ailerons seemed to be very tedious, but after I got them built and the servos figured out it only took a week to cover it. So as you can see, my Weeks athough a labor of love, was seemingly a very long time coming together.
Now don't take this the wrong way, but boy, I can't wait for my wife to see your work room. She can't understand how I find anything. As I look around yours, it sure looks familiar to me! Everything is right where I want it, and yours looks like you have yours set up the same way! For the life of me I don't think I would know how to act in some of these pristine work shops, I just wasn't built that way!!LOL!!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
rt3232

Well back to the Weeks got the lower strut hones in and nice tight 6/32 bolt holes thru, and the struts are nice and tight to the lower wing. now working on the top side.

about my shop/work room when we built this place I built a 3 1/2 car garageso it is 26' wide 2 cars and 34' deep and i put in a false wall at 23 feet, last shop got broke into and they got about 10k worth of stuff so this one has no windows it's heated and ac'd and when I close the door no one mess with it and I know ware everything is. Oh and I do clean it up 3 time a year but the wife tells me she can't tell hehe So my comment under my breth is so stay out.

And those watching this thread MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A SAFE HAPPY NEW YEAR

cheers Bob T

PS we got another 6 full inches of snow to day
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM
GreaTOne_65

Good luck with the shovel, I don't envy you on that subject!

Thanks for the Christmas Wish, I would like to issue the same to you and yours, and to all our flying friends here on RC Universe! I hope everyone has a new bird under the tree this year.

My dear wife, every summer, goes up to my work room,(it's up stairs) and proceeds to tell me it needs to be cleaned, I tell her she is to stay out, until I get what ever bird is on the bench. Problem is, there's always a bird on the bench!!LOL!!

Keep up the good work, and keep posting, as I enjoy seeing your progress!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
rt3232

some small progress on the weeks got the top wing install finished and starting to check out aileron fit and right side seams to be good.

in years passed I have all waysed replaced the servo leads with a length needed, soldering skills are ok but, the nerve are not what they used to be. So for this bird I am thinking to just make my extensions with out the extrs outer plactic sleve and finish with addhesive lined heat shrink

Need an opinon hear

Snow[>:][>:] got the latest cleaned up in front, but if we get much more in the back yard we are in trouble becouse of the lay out and the winds we have had with the snow my back yard is covered with about 4 to 5 feet of snow and 1 drift is all most up to the top of the 6 ft fence BA-Hum-bug

cheers Bob T
Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
GreaTOne_65

Hello, Bob. Sounds like you are making progress, alot better than I did! Like I said, building the ailerons, seemed like a very tedious task.

I have done as you have suggested, but, with some questionable results. Unlike you, I left the plastic cover on, and ran the heat shrink sleeves over the whole think. I must also interject here, I did not use addhesive style heat shrink. I needed an extention on the receiver battery on a 540 Edge, so did as you did, with out removing the plastic cover, and after about a year of flying, I suddenly started having glitches. I went through all the usual checks, and discovered the extention on the battery, when moved/giggled would loose connection, well because the airplane flew so well, I wasnt' about to mess with that, so I changed it to Dean's Ultra, and also the rest of my planes, got the same treatment. I do like your idea, about taking the plastic cover off, and will do so from here out. Thanks! We are always looking for good ideas that will make our Big Birds last longer.

Well, I'd like to help you out with your snow, problem........................................... ......................NOT!! LOL!! It's just one of those things I refuse to do, although, someday, when I'm to old to get to AZ. I may have to change my mind.

Dale
Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM
rt3232

Dale

On those connections I crimp my own and I only use gold plated pins and sockets and heavy duty wire I have an 8 pwr 10 inch dia mag/glass that I bought when one of the electronic Co's went out and they had an equipment sale and that make things a lot easeyer, any way will do 1 and see how it works will do a little yank and pull, twist and shake. buy the way the addhesive lined heat shrink also seals the inside from any moisture or what ever.

I also can't get 2 regular connectors with heat shrink through the tube to orig builder put in the fuse, with out stagering them and don't want to mess with the new dig/servos any way.

cheers Bob t
Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM
rt3232

Well got some progress done on the weeks, switch's located place for the on board tech, then started looking for a place to mount the ign mogule just not enogh room in front of the fire wall so looking at in side mounted to the side wall right side , also looking for a place for the reciver (2.4) most likly on left side wall and tank over/on the C/G and batterys will have to be strapped to top fwd section of fuse for ballance may have to go with sub-c packs to get enough weight up front

Cheers Bob T

System will not let me load pic's don't know if it is RCU or my server last pic I did load was huge and have never had problems like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.