Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Peak Model 50 CC Edge 540 T build

I will get more vids soon, i need to get the Cg straightened out. That White rose tail wheel I used weights 2 ounces more than the stock one so it really jacked the CG. I am gonna put the stock tail wheel back on. Also when I get my spinner on that will help to. All in all a pleasure to fly just stuipid power and really docile in the air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"...I think he just shat himself..." lol. that was funny.

Nice vid CnB. Making me want one.
    Joe AP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

Looks good dude. You probably saw my thread on this Edge already as I posted it a few months ago.

My Edge is pretty much complete now! Just need to cut the cowl mount the Zeus, Wolverine, etc.

Mine is coming in at around 15.7lbs it looks like. That's with spinner and about 1/2lb of epoxy/wood reinforcements I've added. And at 15.7lbs on 1485 squares which is nearing 33% territory, this things is gonna FLOAT!!! That was the main reason I bought this bird. 1485 squares on advertised 13-15.5lbs AUW. My DLE-55 should be a perfect match. Been working on this bird for almost 6 months as I'm extremely picky! I even went over every single glue joint in the bird with specialized ARF glue just so I'll never have to worry about it or have an issue.

A couple things to watch for: Note your engine length mounted on the firewall. Mine sticks out 17mm to prop, but I'm gonna leave it as I'd have to completely cut up the firewall to use small engine stand-offs which I can't find anyway...

Good luck with yours dude! Nice to see someone else with this plane finally, lol. I think that's 3 of us that own it now, haha.

I'll post up a video and pictures of her completed in a few days. Should be able to maiden in a week or two! Can't wait, as it's my first giant scale!!!

Egan
    Hi Egan,

I am about to mount my engine now and going over the tread I saw this post of yours. What is this distance of 17mm ?

Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you were to measure from the front of the cowl (Ie. where the spinner would align with), there is a gap of 17mm between that and the backplate of the spinner. After having it finished, I added a 4" aluminum spinner the other day as I needed the nose weight, the gap doesn't look too bad actually. Looks fine. In order to mount the engine back further (I was aware of the issue right when I opened the plane and measured), I'd have to cut a larger hole in the firewall for the carb, find some smaller standoffs (which I couldn't at the time), cut out a 1/2" notch in the corner of the firewall/motor box so the muffler would fit, readjust my throttle lengths/setup, etc. For the pain, it's fine as is IMO. I needed the weight out front anyhow as the DLE-55 is pretty light.

Well, I now have 7 flights on her and i completely redid the needles as I couldn't get the tune proper. She's running amazing now. Just over a gallon through it now. Did another flight today and had a blast. I toned down the elevator throws as 1 click of trim was WAY too much and with the new spinner/1100 a123 IGN pack swapped in and the Zeus gone, it's now not so tail heavy. It's actually perfect. Tested 4 45* inverted uplines and it will go straight forever with just the slightest amount of bend toward the canopy indicating just a hair tail heavy now. So it's much better and I prefer just a tad tail heavy for aerobatics.

Next weekend is IMAC boot camp!!!! I gotta mess with my throws some more, but can't wait for it!
    35% H9 Extra 300 - DLE-111 | 33% Lanier Yak 54 - DL-100 | 30% Peak Edge 540T - DLE-55 | SkyWalker Long Range FPV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx Egan..I can see that you are having fun with your new baby.....thanx for the go ahead with stock mounts....

Did you break in the engine in the model or on a test bench ? I have a suitable test bench with PSP style mount etc. on a wooden saddle. Am wondering whether to break in and set the needle on the bench or on the model directly ?

opinions:

For Bench: Model is not dirtied, model not subject to heavy vibration of a new engine

Against Bench: Too much electronics to handle on the bench i.e. ignition & ignition kill, with just 4% (25:1) oil gassers do not dirty much - so on model is ok, vibrations not absorbed/ dissipated by the bench as much as the model airframe and so not advised for gas engines.

what is your or anyone else's opinion ? C&B ? T3 ?

cheers..

Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I considered the bench run, but I chose plane run-in instead as it's just simpler in the end. Just make sure you run it with the wings on to reduce vibration effects. Really it doesn't matter and is up to you, but you should be careful to have enough vibration dampening in your bench setup as you will greatly fatigue the engine mounts if not.
    35% H9 Extra 300 - DLE-111 | 33% Lanier Yak 54 - DL-100 | 30% Peak Edge 540T - DLE-55 | SkyWalker Long Range FPV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Egan, how many inches behind the leading edge of the wing is your airplane balancing ? After I removed the white rose tail wheel I was using mine balanced at 5.25 inch. I could get it to 4.8 inch if I reposition a bunch of stuff. Also I scrapped my Zeus to, that thing is a POS !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll check for you in a bit. I'm just heading out the door.

Ya don't even get me started on the Zeus. I think I caused quite the war over at the FG forums, lol. Thanks for posting your data logger info though. Big help and confirmed my suspicions. I can now range check the same with the engine running or off (50+ paces, with 30 being Spektrum recommended) so I have really good range without that POS. Oh well, a $50 mistake in this hobby aint huge. Much cheaper than a crashed bird!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Yeah the Zeus airplane eliminator killed my range checks and almost locked my JR 2.4 system out TWO TIMES !!!!!! Dudes on the giants can say what they want, cant argue w/ a data logger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Thanx Egan..I can see that you are having fun with your new baby.....thanx for the go ahead with stock mounts....

Did you break in the engine in the model or on a test bench ? I have a suitable test bench with PSP style mount etc. on a wooden saddle. Am wondering whether to break in and set the needle on the bench or on the model directly ?

opinions:

For Bench: Model is not dirtied, model not subject to heavy vibration of a new engine

Against Bench: Too much electronics to handle on the bench i.e. ignition & ignition kill, with just 4% (25:1) oil gassers do not dirty much - so on model is ok, vibrations not absorbed/ dissipated by the bench as much as the model airframe and so not advised for gas engines.

what is your or anyone else's opinion ? C&B ? T3 ?

cheers..

Sandy
    For the most part I like to break my engines in on the plane... I only run a tank or two to get the engine somewhat tuned in, It also lets me know what I need to tighten are re-loctite from the vibes. Then I break the rest in in the air, you just got to be careful not to overdo things by pushing the plane to hard for the first few gallons.
    Build em Fly em Crash em!!!
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

I'll check for you in a bit. I'm just heading out the door.

Ya don't even get me started on the Zeus. I think I caused quite the war over at the FG forums, lol. Thanks for posting your data logger info though. Big help and confirmed my suspicions. I can now range check the same with the engine running or off (50+ paces, with 30 being Spektrum recommended) so I have really good range without that POS. Oh well, a $50 mistake in this hobby aint huge. Much cheaper than a crashed bird!
    Am I glad, I am miles away from US and getting stuff is difficult and at least few weeks away.... I have been looking at & actively considering getting the ZEUS, since reading your post !! phew.... Its not just the 50 bucks for us but the wait, expectation for someone to get it etc. etc.

cheers
    Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx T3..I am also now inclined to break-in in the model it self...so much simpler. Also I like the idea to "vibrating everything" on the ground and re tightening (if required) before flying.

Any ideas/ updates about the Power HD DS120M's ? I asked you in Nov'09 - as you had experience with the 9150's - and the 120M replaces the 9150.

Cheers..

Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't have any updates on the 120's, but I've been more than impressed with my 9150's all around. I did do my own QA on them however; tore them down and found that every single one had almost 0 grease on the gears. No wonder people were complaining they saw slop early. I loaded them all up with HD wheel bearing grease and put em back together. So far I've been really impressed with them. They are much faster than I thought they would be, especially on a123 6.6v. For my throttle I went with the fastest DS90 @ .08sec I believe. From what I read, people were most happy with having as fast a throttle servo as they could get, rather than trying to match the others. That DS90 is just a faster version of the 120 @ slightly less torque and it seems just fine as well. I think you'll be fine with the 120's. Maybe just buy one extra servo incase you ever need it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx T3..I am also now inclined to break-in in the model it self...so much simpler. Also I like the idea to ''vibrating everything'' on the ground and re tightening (if required) before flying.

Any ideas/ updates about the Power HD DS120M's ? I asked you in Nov'09 - as you had experience with the 9150's - and the 120M replaces the 9150.

Cheers..

Sandy
    Well, I don't know much about the Power HD DS120m's, most people on the power HD thread like the 9150's better but I guess its just a difference of opinion. Since I've bought mine last year there have been updates to the Power HD line. You can purchase them from here... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s.../15.8kg/.17sec (they are re-branded Turnigy on Hobby Kings site)

I did have 1 problem with one of my 9150 at the field, I had put one of my elevator leads in wrong and it threw the center off quite a bit, I messed with the extensions and leads and it fixed my problems. ( I don't know if the problem was my servo are the leads) everything seems fine now.

But these are the new best thing out... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._.118sec_/_78g If you can save up the extra $$ I would go with these, I'm running one on the rudder of my Yak-55 and its a beast!! its fast as hell with tones of torque, and I'm only running mine at 6V. I will be putting these all around on my yak pretty soon once I save the cash.
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Egan, any info on the CG distance form the LE ?? , sorry to ba a PITA but you got what sounds like a good CG it would save me alot of BS if you could post your number. Thanks Man

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey C&B,
    Was just going thru your pics..what is the clear plastic tank you guys are using ? How/ why is it better than the stock? I am planning to use the stock tank - no choice !! - but will be using dubro gas stopper (red).

cheers..

Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx T3 & Egan,

I have DS120M which I will use in my Edge 50cc and also have Toward Pro MG946R's. Have noted the rechristened 9150 from Turnigy and also theHV767. IMHO the HV767 is too much of an overkill for the 50 size @ 31Kg. I am keeping the 946's for a future project - 30cc, maybe !

Egan I will try and grease the remaining 120's I have - the elevator one's are already inside and I don't want to take them out. Thanx for the tip.

Sandy
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx T3 & Egan,

I have DS120M which I will use in my Edge 50cc and also have Toward Pro MG946R's. Have noted the rechristened 9150 from Turnigy and also theHV767. IMHO the HV767 is too much of an overkill for the 50 size @ 31Kg. I am keeping the 946's for a future project - 30cc, maybe !

Egan I will try and grease the remaining 120's I have - the elevator one's are already inside and I don't want to take them out. Thanx for the tip.

Sandy
    Yeah, the HV767 or a bit much, but the specs are about the same as the Hitec 7955TGs that everyone uses in there 50cc planes. But these have just a little more torque. And they are only 31kg @ 7.4v (430.5oz/in), they are 25kg @ 6v (347.2oz/in)which is a tad more than the Hi-end servos that every one uses. These servos are killer fast, the resolution is great and no slop what-so ever. You wont find a better servo at that price anywhere.
    And MKS is a high-end servo company... they are just now catching on in the U.S., (popular in the heli community)

T.J.
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Egan, any chance you got a minute to measure your balance point in inches from behind your LE ? Thanks man it would be a huge help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Crash,

Sorry, everytime I actually have it out at the field with the wings on I forget to measure it for you. I looked yesterday with the wings off at home as I can see where the wings sit on the fuse and it looks like 5.5-5.6" was my maiden COG which was tail heavy. If you can get it down to 5" you'll be pretty close. From there it's just a matter of personal taste. If I actually remember I'll do it exactly for you, but I'd say mine's around the 4.8-5.0" mark I bet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got video!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMj7QTZgxs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6M1kwklOLg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5jxWBNbux0[/youtube]

Just for fun...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrYXjJFtaVI[/youtube]

I don't think the extreme flight extra would have survived that, the extra 4lbs would have brought her down.
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great camera work TJ the power is just crazy: much much better than w/ my extreme flight

DA - 50 on a stock side dump muffler with a Vess 23A

RPM - 7445, Fish scale pull 32 lbs !!!!! thats basically a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio..... NUTZ !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GR8 video T3.....
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awsome bro,thats what mine was like w/the jc super 23/7,good deal man!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice vid's. Why do they always dive for the ground in rolling harriers like that? I have had to recover like that many times. So far no disasters. Can't say that about knife edge loops done too low. Nice recovery Crash. And you're right, the light weight makes it easier to recover. Of course now you'll probably just start doing crazier stuff much lower
    Joe AP

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast