Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

NEW!! GW 50cc YAK-55sp quick build!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NEW!! GW 50cc YAK-55sp quick build!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW!! GW 50cc YAK-55sp quick build!!

Thanks eganwp,

I should have some sort of flight report by next week, the weather here looks like its gonna be bad for a few days. As soon as the weather breaks I'll put her up in the air.

I've ran about 2/3 of a tank through the engine now, I still want to run at least 1 more tank to get her tuned up some more.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 AM
T3beatz

Well while I'm sitting around waiting for the weather to break I figured I'll do a few decals to dress the plane up a little. I have a 24" Cricut Expression cutting machine so I can now put it to use.

I designed a couple decals to cut already, and some I just traced from the internet (like the Power HD one). I'm still going to make a couple more but here are a few pics of what I've done so far.

These are layered vinyl cuts, this is my first time doing this so I'm learning more on the go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47107.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1424607   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj27293.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	1424608   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb75978.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1424609   Click image for larger version

Name:	fz73415.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1424610   Click image for larger version

Name:	lw19837.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1424611   Click image for larger version

Name:	ul79491.jpg
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	1424612   Click image for larger version

Name:	pr26903.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1424613  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Crash-n-Burn
My Feedback: (2)

Nice TJ watch out for the power HD copyright lawyers, LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

Hey guys I'm back again with yet another short build, this time with the Goldwing 50cc Yak-55SP. It can be purchased from many different vendors from the U.S. to over the water. www.topdawgaviation.com being one U.S. distributor, http://globalrc.co.uk/yak%2055sp.html, http://www.gonav.de/, and www.Axarmodel.com being some over seas ones. The plane can be bought in 4 different trim schemes as shown from the Mfg. website http://www.goldwingrc.com/en/ProductView.asp?ID=159 I went with the 311C color scheme. The gold wing planes are very similar to the EG aircraft line up if you are familiar with them. (the same people who make the OMP giant scale planes). The quality of these planes rival that of some of the higher costing popular ones. And certain sellers list the price to reflect this! these are pretty much quick build ARF's with ailerons and elevators pre-hinged, fuel tank installed and plumbing done, pre-mounted cowl ring with hidden mounting screws, and pull pull cables pretty much setup.

These are the specs,
WING SPAN:88''(2235mm)
LENGTH:81''(2060mm)
WING AREA:1465sq in(94.5sq dm)
FLYING WEIGHT:16-17.5lbs(7200-7700g)
ENGINE:50-60cc gas
RADIO:4CH/6S

Mine will be paired with the infamous DL-55 and maybe a Can, if not I'll run it with the stock DL muffler!![sm=shades_smile.gif] I bought the plane and engine as a combo so a saved $150.00 from the retail price!
T3 you may also add www.cyclonetoy.com or http://www.sdshobby.com to the list of Chinese suppliers of these ARF's and stuff. Contact person Ms Anna - she speaks good English and is helpful - [email protected]

cheers..

Sandy
Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 AM
T3beatz

Yes, Cyclone is a great place to go, I deal with Amanda when I chat with them. only reason I didn't list them is because I don't know if they carry this version of the Yak-55SP.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
sandyjain

Hi T3..what is that clear fuel tank you are using - you mentioned FiJI - what is the advantage over the stock tank and where is it available ?

cheers..
Sandy
Old 04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
T3beatz

The tank is a FIJI water bottle http://www.fijiwater.com/ ... You can get it from most stores here in the U.S. or most gas stations. With the FIJI bottle you can save a couple oz of weight and its clear so you can always see whats going on in the tank.

You can pretty much do the same with most water bottles, but the FIJI is squared and it makes it easy to mount. Also its about the same size as the stock tank that comes with the plane, only 50cc's less.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
sandyjain

The tank is a FIJI water bottle http://www.fijiwater.com/ ... You can get it from most stores here in the U.S. or most gas stations. With the FIJI bottle you can save a couple oz of weight and its clear so you can always see whats going on in the tank.

You can pretty much do the same with most water bottles, but the FIJI is squared and it makes it easy to mount. Also its about the same size as the stock tank that comes with the plane, only 50cc's less.
Many you guys are amazing.....you cut your own decals using some great equipment and use water bottles for tanks....!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Crash-n-Burn

Here is mine !!!!

I cant get it to load now but I have the fiji tank its dope i liket being able to see the clunk / ect gives me a warm fuzzy.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Many you guys are amazing.....you cut your own decals using some great equipment and use water bottles for tanks....!!!

got to save a buck where you can,so you can buy more toys.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:48 AM
T3beatz

The FIJI tank is cool, I still don't know why others like Dubro have not caught on and started making clear tanks like this.

Well, back to working on some more decals, I'll post some more pics later. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can get out to the field tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
sandyjain

The FIJI tank is cool, I still don't know why others like Dubro have not caught on and started making clear tanks like this.

Well, back to working on some more decals, I'll post some more pics later. Hopefully the rain will stop so I can get out to the field tomorrow.
T3 what all would I need to make decals like yours using the Cricut machine ? I checked the website but am confused regarding the dies/ cartridges... I have someone coming to India in June and can ask them to get me the cricut machine but am wondering about the consumables ? if any ?? Can I just cut the sticky covering material for decals ?
Sorry for asking so many questions but you guys post such goodies and tempt us !!

cheers..

Sandy
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
T3beatz

T3 what all would I need to make decals like yours using the Cricut machine ? I checked the website but am confused regarding the dies/ cartridges... I have someone coming to India in June and can ask them to get me the cricut machine but am wondering about the consumables ? if any ?? Can I just cut the sticky covering material for decals ?
Sorry for asking so many questions but you guys post such goodies and tempt us !!

cheers..

Sandy
There are 2 Cricut machines... The Cricut Expression and the Cricut Create (12") or the Cricut Expression (24"), I won my Expression off Ebay for like $180.00 It retails for about 300.00

Oh, all you need is the regular Cricut machine and any cartridge, I don't use the Fonts are shapes on the cartridge, you just need the cartridge for the Cricut to load up.

I use a program you can get for your computer its called Sure Cuts A lot, If you find something that you want to make you can just download the image to your computer and The program can "Trace it" then you can cut the decal.

I get the sticky back vinyl from ebay, but you can find it in many places. You can also just use the aircraft trim sheets that the hobby shops carry if you like.

If you need links to the Decal Vinyl just let me know.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
sandyjain

There are 2 Cricut machines... The Cricut Expression and the Cricut Create (12'') or the Cricut Expression (24''), I won my Expression off Ebay for like $180.00 It retails for about 300.00

Oh, all you need is the regular Cricut machine and any cartridge, I don't use the Fonts are shapes on the cartridge, you just need the cartridge for the Cricut to load up.

I use a program you can get for your computer its called Sure Cuts A lot, If you find something that you want to make you can just download the image to your computer and The program can ''Trace it'' then you can cut the decal.

I get the sticky back vinyl from ebay, but you can find it in many places. You can also just use the aircraft trim sheets that the hobby shops carry if you like.

If you need links to the Decal Vinyl just let me know.
Thanx Pal I am already on Ebay to get a deal like you !!!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
T3beatz

If you need any info on how to use it you can find tons of videos on youtube.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
sandyjain

Hey T3...you've really got me going on this die cutting decal making thingy.

An option available is the silhouette SD by Quickkutz - landed (US address) price USD 250 on ebay. This comes with its own software. Against this the Cricut Expression (+ 1 cartridge) is approx. USD 240 landed + the SCAL software for another 75 bucks. Now I'am confused !! Another option is the Xyron wishblade. However at this moment Iam more inclined towards the Silhouette.

Being a user of this tech. can you please check and advise which one I should go for ? I will be getting this to India and hence availability of spares/ consumables will always be an issue....I will mostly use it to cut sticky Vinyl with backing paper or inkjet sticker paper. Also can you check and tell me if your expression can run on 230V AC - i.e is the daptor universal or only fr 110V.

Thanx in advance...

Sandy
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
sandyjain

If you need any info on how to use it you can find tons of videos on youtube.
just found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

seems like a good deal but only for next 17 hrs. - waiting for your approval.

Sandy
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
T3beatz

Hey T3...you've really got me going on this die cutting decal making thingy.

An option available is the silhouette SD by Quickkutz - landed (US address) price USD 250 on ebay. This comes with its own software. Against this the Cricut Expression (+ 1 cartridge) is approx. USD 240 landed + the SCAL software for another 75 bucks. Now I'am confused !! Another option is the Xyron wishblade. However at this moment Iam more inclined towards the Silhouette.

Being a user of this tech. can you please check and advise which one I should go for ? I will be getting this to India and hence availability of spares/ consumables will always be an issue....I will mostly use it to cut sticky Vinyl with backing paper or inkjet sticker paper. Also can you check and tell me if your expression can run on 230V AC - i.e is the daptor universal or only fr 110V.

Thanx in advance...

Sandy
If you can find a Cricut for low go with it. It seems to be the better of the two, there are many other programs you can use with the Cricut also, I did not buy my copy of SCAL, I'm using a copy downloaded from a torrent site so no extra money spent there.

here ya go... You can get this one and your friend can bring it over to you. If you need SCAL PM me and I can give it to you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cricut-Expressio...ht_2168wt_1063

Ohh, and the input of the adapter is 100-240V @ 50/60hz 1.2A, output is 18V @ 2A... It has a DC type U.S. plug, but you should be able to find an adapter thats suitable if the one that comes with it does not work.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 AM
sandyjain

Thanx T3... I checked the link but the machine is used. I do not want to take that chance bringing it all over to India - will prefer to pay the extra $.

Could you check the link I sent you for the Silhouette ? They are giving a extra blade holder and blades. This holder allows the blade depth to be adjustable. This may be useful since I will be using the the vinyls etc available in India and the depth may not be the same as stock/ standard available in the US. Also this machine is not dependent on cartridges etc. i.e. no proprietary hangups.

Your idea of the SCAL download is welcome...did you get version 1.06 or version 2 software ?

I will wait for your views and then take the final decision. BUT Iam getting one o' these for sure !!

Sandy
Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
T3beatz

Thanx T3... I checked the link but the machine is used. I do not want to take that chance bringing it all over to India - will prefer to pay the extra $.

Could you check the link I sent you for the Silhouette ? They are giving a extra blade holder and blades. This holder allows the blade depth to be adjustable. This may be useful since I will be using the the vinyls etc available in India and the depth may not be the same as stock/ standard available in the US. Also this machine is not dependent on cartridges etc. i.e. no proprietary hangups.

Your idea of the SCAL download is welcome...did you get version 1.06 or version 2 software ?

I will wait for your views and then take the final decision. BUT Iam getting one o' these for sure !!

Sandy
I checked out the Silhouette and it is nice also... the cutting mat is not as wide but longer, the Cricut cuts a 12x24 decal while the Silhouette can cut a 8.5 x 40" ( If your using this just for hobby purposes you should be fine I don't thing you'll be cutting decals taller or longer than that)

Other than that it looks like a great machine. The Cricut can also adjust the blade depth and pressure for cutting different materials, they both have there positives but honestly I think the Cricut is a more bang for the buck Cutter (better LCD, more cutting options, etc...).

here is a new one. it does not come with a Cartridge though, but you can just buy the cheap one for like $35.00 and be done.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRICUT-EXPRESSIO...#ht_900wt_1165
Old 04-27-2010, 03:56 AM
sandyjain

Hey T3....it must be middle of the night for you ? are you awake or working ? Can I call you - phone or skype ? If yes please PM with your contact details... Thanx..Sandy
Old 04-27-2010, 04:13 AM
T3beatz

its like 4:00AM here, I'm a night owl, I get off at 12:00AM so I don't really go to sleep until about 6:00am (I also have a baby, about 4 months now so I have night duties), right now I'm putting some decals on my plane. I do have Skype, but I have to set it up on my office computer, I'll let you know when I have it done. If not tonight definitely tomorrow.

Here are a few more pics of what I'm working on... The best thing about making your own decals is if you mess up you can just take them off and make new ones! you don't have to order a new set, and you save a few $$ in the long run.

Name:	zx70258.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	1426111   Click image for larger version

Name:	ie97949.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1426112   Click image for larger version

Name:	in26959.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1426113  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:16 AM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: Crash-n-Burn

Here is mine !!!!

I cant get it to load now but I have the fiji tank its dope i liket being able to see the clunk / ect gives me a warm fuzzy.
Where is your pic Dan?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Crash-n-Burn

here u go, your decals look great. I may try to fly today after work the Wx is supposed to be much better today.

Name:	Fd91157.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1426124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83758.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1426125  
Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 AM
sandyjain

Hey T3....haven't had that night duty !! for a while.... :-) But teenagers are no better.. I have 2 and they keep us busy thru the day !!

The decals look good and excite me even more !!

Please check these links - I know Iam hounding you ! - but blame your self for showing me the goodies ;-)

http://www.squidoo.com/SilhouetteSD?...ll_Murals_Girl

http://www.ehow.com/about_5423122_qu...vs-cricut.html

Cricut being heavier may tend to be a problem for my friend to get in his baggage !! At this point in time the Silhouette wins BUT you are the judge !! and Iam still looking online...

Thanx once again for helping me with this...

Sandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.