Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

what throttle servo for 100cc plane?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

what throttle servo for 100cc plane?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 AM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what throttle servo for 100cc plane?

troybuiltmodels recommends the hs225mg for throttle on giant scale planes. but it seems there are some who dont recommend them and feel any standard-size servo is better. the one downside i can think of is that metal gears wear more quickly than nylon. any disadvantages in the electronics, compared to a standard size servo? here's the link from troybuilt:
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HS225.html

i also have a standard-size spektrum servo that came with my dx-7 that i've never used for anything. should i use that instead of the 225?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Default RE: what throttle servo for 100cc plane?

Personally, I think that my throttle servo is one of the most important servos on my plane. It doesn't need a lot of torque, but I want it to be reliable and precise.
I certainly don't just throw any ole' standard servo on my throttle.

I have been using the JR 8231 digital servo on my throttles for quite a while now and have never had any problems.

Some guys will say you need a metal gear servo on the throttle, and some will say you need a nylon gear servo on your throttle. I don't really think it matters, as long as it is reliable and precise.

I have heard that the mini servos can't take the vibration, so it's probably best to stay with standard size servos.

Use a good reliable servo with precision.

Jim
Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. I like a very reliable and precise servo. To make it reliable I go for the high torque metal gear. Right now it's the Hitec 5985's. I'd get a titanium next time. I don't get the high torque to move the 5 inch-ounce throttle. I get it to handle the beating of the vibrations. I figure the high torque ones are more heavy duty and will last longer under that kind of punishment. With my very low 3D flying I cannot afford a throttle failure.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:55 PM
House2twist

+1 on 5985. Got one on my 50CC yak, quick, precise and rugged.