Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DA 50.....best prop (needs more vertical)????

I recently maidened my Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate with a DA50/Mejzlik 23x8 combination. I expected the plane to be vertically "challenged" from the many posts I have read, it's heavy at 19 lbs. It has plenty of straight-line speed, but the vertical is severly lacking. I usually run a Xoar 23x8 on my 50s but I thought a Mejzlik 23x8 was THE prop for a DA 50. My other DA 50s turn a Xoar 23x8~6700 rpms, this DA 50/ J' Tec Pitts turns the 23x8 Mejzlik the same (6700).....I expected a little more from a carbon fiber prop.

Is the DA 50/Mejzlik the best I can do???

I can get a Xoar 23x8 to try, but I thought the Mejzlik would be better.

Thanks for any help.................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DA 50.....best prop (needs more vertical)????

put a 22 inch prop on there
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go with the Mej 22x8 it will perform

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try a 23A or 22B Vess. Do your other planes have the same muffler? You'll get better performance with the DA side dump muffler.
    Charles
    Fly Extreme!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i will bet you get the best vertical performnce from a Xoar 22-8 laminate.i still haven't found a better prop for a DA50 or a DLE55 as far as pulling and rite now power.has good speed when you want it.i get 7200 out of it on the DLE55.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

19 lbs! That is 1/2 lb over the AW advertised max and comes out to 26oz/sq ft wing loading. I would try to lose 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. Is that possible?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yep,your rite about that,never saw a 50 yet that could 3d a 19lb. plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all of the replies..........

I have a Xoar 22x8 (actually a cut down 23x8) I can try. As far as the weight goes, I don't know where AW came up with their weight. I know several of these flying....all at 18.5-19.5 lbs.
    I would have used the stock DA muffler (I thought the performance would be better with it), but it really would not work with the Ultimate's cowl. You can see the "limited" pull-out on the AW videos. I've heard the same complaint from numerous AW Ultimate owners. I'm not much of a 3D flyer, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. It sounds like I should have gone with the Mejzlik 22x8...............too bad I can't cut my 23x8 down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Mejzlik 22x8 on my DLE 55, works well in my Yak and SBach but they are no where near 19 lbs.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bushong572, you are at about 2800' altitude. That is part of the problem. You are down about 10% on power compared to sea level. A DA50 on 19 lb plane at 2800' altitude is going to be a dog. I have a DA50 on a 14.25 lb AW 35cc Extra 260 and fly at over 5000' altitude. This combination has good power but I do not consider it overpowered. It would probably be equivalent to a 16 lb plane at your altitude or a 17-18 lb plane at sea level. You might consider a DA60 whenever it is available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hate to suggest this, but what about a DA 85? With the altitude and weight challanges that might be something to consider. I am not sure even what weight the 85 typically pulls.
    Just FYI, I have a DA-50 on my GP Bipe and at 14.5 lbs it has very low wing loading and pulls like crazy. I really, really like the looks of the AW Ultimate and hope you can make it work out.
    Good Luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a 85 on a 22 lbs cap 232 use to be 21.5 with carbon gear that is sweet for power
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think a DA 85 would be too much (power and weight). I had a ZDZ 60 that I thought about using but didn't want to add any more weight to the plane. I've owned several 50cc planes around 17.5-18 lbs. I think the Ultimate's high level of drag definitely doesn't help. A 22x8 may help ,if not, a DA 60 might be the way to go. I really like the plane. I just wish it were 2 lbs lighter.

This is my 3rd Ultimate (.40 glow, 1.20 glow, 50cc). I hate to buy another engine since I already had the DA50 lying around. I think I will just fly it for a while (maybe try another prop) and enjoy. It really does fly well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

19 lb for a 50cc plane is heavy.

Some simple and effective ways to cut down on the weight.

1. use of a smaller fuel tank (18 oz one is more than enough).
    2. use of light weight batteries. For example two A123 1100mah for receiver. One 1100 mah nicad (5 cells) for ign.
    3. Carbon fiber wing/stab tubes and landing gear.

DA85 is heavier and requires at least 26X10 prop. The 50cc plane probably will not have enough prop clearance and the wing loading will be even high. It will not work.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.
    Perfection is God\'\'\'\'s business.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bushong572

I think a DA 85 would be too much (power and weight). I had a ZDZ 60 that I thought about using but didn't want to add any more weight to the plane. I've owned several 50cc planes around 17.5-18 lbs. I think the Ultimate's high level of drag definitely doesn't help. A 22x8 may help ,if not, a DA 60 might be the way to go. I really like the plane. I just wish it were 2 lbs lighter.

This is my 3rd Ultimate (.40 glow, 1.20 glow, 50cc). I hate to buy another engine since I already had the DA50 lying around. I think I will just fly it for a while (maybe try another prop) and enjoy. It really does fly well.
    If your coming over to the big bird in Austin this weekend I'll let you try one of my 23A's.
    Charles
    Fly Extreme!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would find the best prop, probably a 22x8, and enjoy it until you can get a DA-60. The DA-120 is lighter (4.95 lbs) than the DA-100L (5.57 lbs), so I would expect that the DA-60 would be about the same weight as the DA-50.

Personally, I think that Aeroworks has excellent aircraft, but I will think twice before I get another one because of the weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: bushong572

If your coming over to the big bird in Austin this weekend I'll let you try one of my 23A's.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be there. [&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: FrankFuss

I would find the best prop, probably a 22x8, and enjoy it until you can get a DA-60. The DA-120 is lighter (4.95 lbs) than the DA-100L (5.57 lbs), so I would expect that the DA-60 would be about the same weight as the DA-50.

I think this is what I will do....thanks