RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   To smoke or not to smoke? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/10263770-smoke-not-smoke.html)

SharpProp 01-14-2011 03:23 PM

To smoke or not to smoke?

Would you bother with the excess weight of a smoke system on a 30cc sbach? I love the idea but I don't want to take too much away from it's 3d capabilities.

dryverman 01-14-2011 04:04 PM

RE: To smoke or not to smoke?

Aircraft International's 3W pump plugs into your receiver...no extra battery
needed. I don't think you would notice the added weight of the tank and plumbing.
What's the engine?

SharpProp 01-14-2011 07:43 PM

DLE 30cc

dryverman 01-15-2011 08:27 AM

Why not give it a try? BTW, I've had good luck with my 3W pump.

Zeeb 01-15-2011 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SharpProp

Would you bother with the excess weight of a smoke system on a 30cc sbach? I love the idea but I don't want to take too much away from it's 3d capabilities.
Well I'm going to disagree with dryverman.... :eek:

In GENERAL, putting smoke system in a model will add about 1lb. to the weight and that's a BUNCH more weight for a 30cc size model to add to the wing loading. I would NOT share smoke pump power directly from the rx buss either for some of the same reasons I wouldn't run ignition power from that source. If you want to not run an additional battery, the solution is to pick up a power switch with multiple power out leads or a battery with multiple power output leads and use a separate switch for the smoke pump.

That said; smoke is kind of neat on models but chasing down the smoke fluid, getting the pump and your radio setup for a decent smoke output can be a challenge, if the smoke fluid gets loose insided the model you've got a real mess to deal with (anyone who say's they've NEVER had a leak probably hasn't played with it much), it's not exactly an inexpensive proposition and to top it off, the extra weight will change the model's flight characteristics.

JMHO.... ;)

ScottMcM 01-15-2011 09:41 AM

I put a smoke system on a Giant Super Sportster/Zenoah G38, and it flies very differently than it did before the smoke system......I do like the smoke though. It looks great when I point it straight up, and it stalls, and then tail slides back down into the smoke:D

Flyfalcons 01-15-2011 10:23 AM

I wouldn't put smoke on anything under 100cc. The weight penalty is proportionally greater on the smaller planes.

SharpProp 01-15-2011 11:02 AM

Does the weight come from the fluid itself or does the pump, etc. Add significant weight also? Also would it be possible to rig a system to be easily removable? Maybe put it on for a funfly and do some sport flying with smoke, then remove it for 3d.... Any thoughts on that?

Flyfalcons 01-15-2011 12:08 PM

The entire system adds considerable weight. Yes it is possible to rig a removable system with the pump, tank, and battery on a removable tray.

Steve 01-19-2011 06:07 AM

I agree with FlyFalcons, 100cc and larger are good for smoke systems.