RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Goose's 50cc Aeroworks Edge 540 (orange) assembly thread... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/10920933-gooses-50cc-aeroworks-edge-540-orange-assembly-thread.html)

v6goose 01-22-2012 04:55 AM

Goose's 50cc Aeroworks Edge 540 (orange) assembly thread...

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys...

Well, it's winter here in Canada, so here we go again!

I've opted for another Aeroworks ARF for the coming season and have waited quite a while for this day to arrive. Huge thanks to my buddy Scott Clarke who picked up the huge boxes from Ogdensburg and delivered them to my door, thanks mate!

I love Edge's and had umm'd & ahh'd about the AW Edge 540 for some time. I love the orange 100cc Edge but after running the numbers just couldn't afford to go that large. A few weeks ago I was on AW's website dreaming and clicking and discovered that they now do the 50cc Edge in the orange scheme!

I immediately ordered it and spent my aeroplane budget in one afternoon :D and now have the orange beast in my possession.

My intention is to build this as light as possible while still adding necessary (read cool) stuff and flying lots of IMAC this summer.

The plan is:
[ul][*] Powered by my DL-50[*] Stock build[*] KS canister muffler[*] Mejzlik 3 blade CF prop & spinner[*] Redaerorc.com Mega Pilot[*] Water bottle fuel tank[*] Not installing my smoke system at this time
[/ul]

So nothing special, but I thought you might want to watch one of these go together. Many thanks to those who have posted build threads here and on other sites for the inspiration and flow of interesting ideas.

Pic 1: A large box arrives.
Pic 2: The boxes are full of very high quality AW parts and everything is in perfect condition and accounted for.
Pic 3: The fuselage will be 6' 10" (2082mm) long and it will be a long time before that silly grin is gone.
Pic 4: Biggest plane to date.

Chime in and let me know what you think or offer your idea's... much appreciated.

Cheers

Goose

mrbigg 01-22-2012 09:45 AM

RE: Goose's 50cc Aeroworks Edge 540 (orange) assembly thread...

Nice scheme. Shouldn't take long, but you do have a while before Spring.[:@]

v6goose 01-22-2012 11:54 AM

Thanks MrBigg, yep great scheme... and yes we do have a while before spring... which is good because a) I don't have all the bits in yet and b) a muffler bolt is stuck in the DL and aint coming out.

Cheers!

Goose

DLEVETT 01-29-2012 06:03 PM

Subscribed! and watching.

Dave

v6goose 01-29-2012 07:34 PM

Cool... Thanks Dave.

Busy week so really slack on the updates... I will post progress tomorrow (Mon 30th).

Still waiting for some stuff to come in...

Cheers

Goose

Hill202 01-30-2012 03:50 AM

Check your glue joints. I just completed a 50cc AW Extra and there was an amazing lack of glue.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10921474/tm.htm

v6goose 01-30-2012 04:41 AM

Thanks Hill... will do.

bemeson 01-30-2012 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: v6goose

Thanks Hill... will do.
Goose,
Which site are you going to build this bird on. I am getting dizzy following it. The plane goes together perfectly...you will will be amazed. I found no problems when I build mine. No sure what the guy meant by no glue. I checked every joint and could not find any place to add more. Did you get your fiji water bottle built yet.

Brian

v6goose 01-30-2012 08:30 AM

Hi Brian...

*lol* right here buddy...

It has been a joy to assemble thus far, going together perfectly as you mentioned.

I'm going to check all the joints like I normally do and will let you know.

Yep, bought a 6 pack of Fiji bottles and converted 2 for testing. I cut the supplied rubber bung in half and only drilled 3 small holes in cap rather than one large hole.

The first one held 40psi of air pressure for a long time with no issue and the other was sealed using gasket maker, filled with gas and has been sitting in the garage for a week with no issues.

Pix here soon.

Cheers

Goose

v6goose 01-30-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is a few update pic's as promised:

Pic 1: Wings get the heat treatment to get rid of any/all wrinkles.
Pic 2: As does the fuselage.
Pic 3: Install the tail wheel assembly.
Pic 4: Install the main landing gear and wheel pants.
Pic 5: Pull out the old DL50 with intentions of an easy install.

Cont...

v6goose 01-30-2012 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cont...

Pic 6: Wasn't to be. Stuck muffler bolt consumes a good few hours.
Pic 7: Redaerorc.com supply my awesome pilot.
Pic 8: Muffler bolt removed, easy engine install.
Pic 9: Fiji fuel bottle test. Standard rubber insert cut in half fits well and doesn't interfere with the cap. Pressure and fuel tested successfully.

More to come once I get them out of the camera.

Cheers

Goose

Hill202 02-01-2012 01:53 PM

I bought the CF landing gear, it is a good bit lighter than the stock one.

v6goose 02-01-2012 05:47 PM

I'll bet it is Hill... I did the same for the Ultimate.

I'm going to see what the weight comes out like for now and upgrade the landing gear, wing and tail tubes if need be, but that's another $200.

Cheers

Goose

v6goose 02-01-2012 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought home a small (and expensive!) bag of goodies today so I can get some decent progress this weekend :D

In the meantime, here's a couple more pics:

Pic 1: Glory in the form of a 3-blade Mejzlik prop & 3.5" CF spinner (Desert Aircraft)
Pic 2: Throttle arm is a modified H9 alloy.
Pic 3: Working on pilot buddy getting him into the office.

Cheers

Goose

grosbeak 02-02-2012 12:47 PM

Subscribed and watching with interest!

v6goose 02-02-2012 12:49 PM

Good on ya John...

bemeson 02-02-2012 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: v6goose

I'll bet it is Hill... I did the same for the Ultimate.

I'm going to see what the weight comes out like for now and upgrade the landing gear, wing and tail tubes if need be, but that's another $200.

Cheers

Goose
Goose,
I built the plane with all the standard parts, but was very careful to build very light. The plane will come out over 18 pounds almost 19. When I added the carbon parts it dropped the weight considerably. I took out all the removeable hatches, took at all extra wood to include the aw in the cock pit and the plane came out around 17.5 pounds. The weight is a big issue at altitude 5700 asl. The wing tube is the biggest weight savings in going to carbon. Hope that helps their are pics of my a build on the aw tech section under aw 50cc edge. I hope that helps
Brian

v6goose 02-02-2012 07:18 PM

Hi Brian...

Thanks a lot for your info, I'll take it under advisement and check out your thread.

Cheers

Goose

v6goose 02-02-2012 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got to installing servos tonight in the elevators and wings.

I love the AW pushrod assemblies, solid, easy to mechanically adjust and quality stuff.

Cheers

Goose

daveopam 02-03-2012 05:08 PM

Goose, the instruction for mine show the ball link on the bottom of the servo horn. Mine is an Extra, but I did have the first one like yours until I looked closer. You might double check :-)

David

Justt realized that close up pick was of the elev. My bad!

v6goose 02-03-2012 07:51 PM

Hi David...

Thanks for keeping an eye on me... the Edge says to use the middle hole of the three on both the elevators and ailerons as a starting point.

Cheers!

Goose

v6goose 02-03-2012 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Friday night update...

Everything went well tonight:

Pic 1: Rudder horns and pull-pull cabling installed. The only thing I replace on all planes is Philips head screws...
Pic 2: Rudder servo (HS7985) installed with a H9 3" offset aluminium arm. Ball ends supplied by AW.
Pic 3: Tailwheel and steering installed.

I love the quality of the hardware and this kit, it goes together so well it's a joy to assemble.

This Edge is the Elle MacPherson of aircraft, long, sexy and beautiful :D

Goose

Tumalik 02-04-2012 03:21 AM

hey goose..<div>
</div><div>just started with my edge 540 build (yellow/blue). QUick question on the motor install&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; what bolt length are you using for the mount (stand to firewall)??? i have 5x30mm and 5x40mm available?? and are you using the spacers? also wanted to share just incase you may have missed out on the engine mounting distance CORRECTION.</div><div>thanks</div><div>
</div>

v6goose 02-04-2012 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Tumalik...

As you can see from the picture, my standoffs weren't quite long enough at 57.5mm each so I used a couple of supplied spacers and a washer between the end of the standoff and the engine mounting lug to achieve 173mm (6" 13/16) as per the revised manual (page 37).

Thanks for the heads up.

Goose

[Edit: My bolt size is 30x5]

daveopam 02-04-2012 09:09 AM

Looking good Goose. I was refering to the ball link on the aile servo arm connection. I thought the close up pic was showing that and not the elev servo arm.
You are faster than me. I got the 50CC AW Extra 300 two weeks ago. I just got one wing panel set up last night. What is a good source for stand offs? I am using a DA-60 and it needs a shorter stand off than the 50. I saw some 1-1/2" stand off's on PSPMFG with bolts for $20. The bolts at the lumber yard here are junk.

David