RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   What brand is this Yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/11246786-what-brand-yak.html)

Captain Terrific 10-01-2012 03:28 AM

What brand is this Yak?

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what brand this model is? Ipicked it up locally, it is good shape with a YS1.20. I'd just like to get some more information on it. Thanks,

Dave

TimBle 10-01-2012 03:43 AM

RE: What brand is this Yak?

lookslike an old Phoenix Sukhoi SU26

zacharyR 10-01-2012 05:30 AM

highly dout its pheonix

looks more Gold burg

K-Bob 10-01-2012 05:33 AM

It's definitely a Sukhoi SU26. It looks like someone who didn't know any better slapped a Yak sticker on it. That's kind of like sticking a Yugo sticker on a Porsche.

daveopam 10-01-2012 06:47 AM

Looks like the V2 Goldberg to me. V1 Goldberg had the gear mounted to the wing. Both versions had the belly pan that slid into the lower portion of the cowl. The GB were 72" WS if memory servs me. I have a V1 in my shop if you need a measurement.

david

BarracudaHockey 10-01-2012 07:51 AM

Could be a Global kit as well

Captain Terrific 10-01-2012 08:15 AM

I checked out the instructions for the GB.  I don't think it is put together like a GB but, I'll take a closer look tonight.  Also the WS on this one is 74" again I'll double check tonight.  Thanks,

Dave

speedracerntrixie 10-01-2012 07:00 PM

100% sure it is a Goldberg Sukohi. I have built a couple of them, the cowl and belly pan are dead givaways. The final verification is the turtle deck, I'm betting it's 1/32 ply with no formers.

Captain Terrific 10-02-2012 10:27 AM

The turtle deck is as you described. However Idon't think it's Goldberg because the wingspan is approx 74" and the wing is not notched in the center to accomodate 2 wing dowels. The wing has 1 dowel joining it to fwd portion of the fuse with 2 nylon bolts holding it down in the back.

Dave

Starfighter 10-02-2012 11:46 AM

It is a Byrons.

speedracerntrixie 10-02-2012 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Captain Terrific

The turtle deck is as you described. However Idon't think it's Goldberg because the wingspan is approx 74" and the wing is not notched in the center to accomodate 2 wing dowels. The wing has 1 dowel joining it to fwd portion of the fuse with 2 nylon bolts holding it down in the back.

Dave
Byron was a fiberglass fuse. This is a kit built Goldberg. The leading edge notch is not there because that and the original gear mount was a weak point. These mods were fairly common on this airplane.

Captain Terrific 10-03-2012 03:51 AM

Assuming it is a GB what is the CG range?

Dave

NM_Mark 10-03-2012 09:48 AM

To me, it looks like a Sig Sukhoi that's been recovered - although that is not the Sig landing gear, for sure. Probably the Goldberg one.

K-Bob 10-03-2012 10:01 AM

I believe the SIG was a 76" wingspan.

Captain Terrific 10-03-2012 10:32 AM

Was the SIG an ARF or kit? This one the cowling and belly pan don't appear to have been painted by a factory.

speedracerntrixie 10-03-2012 03:35 PM

The CG on a Goldberg Sukhoi is on the spar. This would be a good safe start.

Captain Terrific 10-04-2012 04:28 AM

Thanks, I'm a little concerned that the YS1.20 will be enough for this plane.  I'll find out Saturday if it's not enough I have an OS 1.60 laying around I'll stick in it.

Dave

daveopam 10-04-2012 06:16 AM

The YS should be a good choice. When this plane was designed there was no 3D so it may not hover it at 1/2 throttle, but it should fly it fine. The one in my shop has not flown in several years. But it is powered by a 1.20 Webra 2 stroke. You should be in the same power range. BYW, it's not a Sig. I had one of those and there are several differences. The Sig has a flying tail for one.

David

Captain Terrific 10-04-2012 07:03 AM

Thanks Dave,

Dave

daveopam 10-04-2012 02:36 PM

I just realized I have the Sig in my avitar. I'm 6' and 240lbs. Look how big the Sig is compared to me. lol

david

speedracerntrixie 10-04-2012 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

The YS should be a good choice. When this plane was designed there was no 3D so it may not hover it at 1/2 throttle, but it should fly it fine. The one in my shop has not flown in several years. But it is powered by a 1.20 Webra 2 stroke. You should be in the same power range. BYW, it's not a Sig. I had one of those and there are several differences. The Sig has a flying tail for one.

David
Mine was also powered by a Webra 1.20 and came out at 11 lbs. Power was not an issue, the YS 1.20 sould be a little more then the Webra.

Bass1 10-05-2012 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Goldberg SU26M V2 for sure with the "new and improved Spectra Glass cowl and pan". Sold mine recently. A Saito 150 flew it quite well. Plans /instructions depicted a YS120 and cautioned against using anything larger. I would think a well running and tuned YS 120 would be awesome (perfect) especially if built under 11 lbs Just gotta make sure ya get the ole YS runnin nicely and reliably which can be a bit of a project in itself[:-]... I splurged and bought a composite gear for mine. Was one of my favorite original IMAC practice planes. "On rails I tell ya!:)" and it does a mean Lomcevak, just do them at altitude![X(] Hey Dave, Is that your hanger with the Staudacher and the Eagle in the background? I also see a bit of a larger full scale rudder (vintage "rounded" style) in the pic. Pretty cool set up!

Captain Terrific 10-06-2012 03:16 AM

Bass,
Thanks, the planes in the background are not mine. The picture was taken at a hangar
in Suffolk. Frank Sr or Frank Jr could tell you more about it. I think that is where some
of the guys that were flying at Fentress mmigrated to. The rumor I've heard
is the Navy is going to open Fentress back up RC once the runway is complete.

Dave<br type="_moz" />

Bass1 10-06-2012 10:29 AM

Shoot!!, I was hoping that full scale antique airplane was yours and already planned on being your new friend:D... Forget it now!;)