RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Assistance with the i4c isolator (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/11559595-assistance-i4c-isolator.html)

YOADRIAN 07-02-2013 03:14 PM

Assistance with the i4c isolator

The aircraft I purchased is a Carden 330s which came with a futaba 8 channel PCM receiver, a i4c isolator, an msa10, an sr10, and 2 duralite regulators. I would first like to upgrade this to a 2.4 and run it of my futaba t12 with a r6014hs receiver but I can not seem to find the manual online for the i4c but only bits and pieces of info on it. Can it be used with this type receiver? Can anyone provide me with a copy or link to a manual of the i4c, or if anyone who does use a 2.4 and this unit, can you kindly explain how to hook one up using a 2.4 setup. This is my first fully aerobatic aircraft and set up, so I am rechecking, learning, and seeing how everything is wired up. I know some of you already are saying O-boy, but do not worry I will be having a top aerobatic pilot setup the throws and maiden and ease me into to it until I am sure I will handle it. The one thing I hate doing is taking up the time of people who help others with things which we can handle ourselves and learn in the process. I will posts some pictures of it soon because this thing is to gorgeous to not share. If you need me to explain the current hook up on the isolator like ( msa-10 on slot one on the i4c) I would gladly provide it. Thanks for any info guys.

Zeeb 07-03-2013 04:54 AM

RE: Assistance with the i4c isolator

Well IIRC that company is out of business???

Just looking at the listed equipment, this thing is kind of old and you should at least explore changing the batteries if nothing else and if it were me, I'd change the chemistry all together and get rid of the regulators. I'd ditch the MSA-10, have no idea what an "sr10" is, a PE maybe? and run the thing using just the radio/rx or possibly a PE since you didn't mention how big the thing is a PE is usually needed for 40% size models.

While it may not seem like too much of a deal, from your comments I suggest you find someone like your "top aerobatic pilot" to assist you 'cause you're not going to learn everything you need to on forums.

Good luck.

YOADRIAN 07-03-2013 05:49 AM

Thanks for the imput I have updated all the servos and batterys already. The unit sr-10 is just a dual servo reverser that's all. Most of this stuff can be done with the radios now a days, the main thing I was curious about was the isolator. I had never dealt with one of these units before. I am aware most guys use power box units but why spend the money if this unit works. Believe me it might have old equipment but it must have been a show piece and never flown because its factory fresh. I will be seeking the advice of the gentleman I mention he only does iMac large scale but never dealing with aerobatic aircraft myself I figured I get my feet wet here. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight. O by the way it's a Carden extra 300s 35%.

pattnut 07-03-2013 03:31 PM

The i4c isolator is a fine device. All it does is allow you to seperate your receiver POWER from the servo power. I have owned/used several. I used a small, 700mah, 4.8 nicad (or NiMH) pack for rx power, and some honkin' big packs for the servos. Receivers use very little power. With it isolated, it see's no voltage "spikes" or fades...

Old Dawg

YOADRIAN 07-03-2013 03:51 PM

Thank you Pattnut, thats what im looking for information and opinions if to use it or not, any chance u might have any paper work on it. I'm trying to check the wiring job that had been done on this and make sure it was correct even if it just to learn, Secondly if I do not use it in this aircraft there might be a place for it inside another aircraft. Of what I have read so far it was considered a good unit in its time isolating a batt for the receiver and the one for the servos and it would solve some interference issues at times as well. Thanks again.

gravlrd44 07-05-2013 05:20 PM

These posts reminded me that I have one NIB.  Have no idea why I never used it.  So I do have the paper that came with it showing how to hook it up.  What I'd be interested in is whether the unit can handle a 2 cell LiPo/LiO.  Does anyone know?