RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Pilot 1/4 Bellanca decathlon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1354437-pilot-1-4-bellanca-decathlon.html)

ketil 12-15-2003 04:23 PM

Pilot 1/4 Bellanca decathlon

Hi...!

I am ready to install engine,I want gas and scale performance.
On the box it says from 10-35ccm but this has to be glow,at least the 10ccm part.
Can you tell me about your opinion.
Thought about a zenoah g38 ,am i in the right direction?

Ketil

AJF--2 12-15-2003 05:38 PM

RE: Pilot 1/4 Bellanca decathlon

G38 is a great choice. I had a 3W 24 on mine underpowered and needed noseweight. If it were me, a G38 or else Brison 3.2 depending on the budget.

Walter D 12-15-2003 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
G-38 would be perfect choice power wise, mine was powered with a Quadra 35 and it was just right, balanced right on the nose. The only drawback you'll have with the Zenoah is that the spark plug wire will be visible, not so on the Quadra. This is probably one of the best kits ever built by anyone, fantastic flyer, will do any manuever on the book in the most scale like fashion, and because of this, you "must" replace the aluminum strut holding fittings that come out of the fuselage with brass stock material of same thickness, I would also change all the metal fittings that are used by the struts for brass. I liked to do snaps, lomcevacks and spins with mine and although I always performed a thorough pre flight check up (including the strut attachments), lost mine soon after take off while flying straight and level. It was rebuilt and finished up the same way and flew it for over 7 years when a **** turned his transmiter on without checking the impound box while I was doing a fly by, it went straight in and was totalled.
Only vise on this airplane is that if when coming in for landing and it nears a stall, the elevator looses effectiveness abruptly, and this is before it stalls, so carry some air speed until touch down, other than that, it is a sweet flyer. By the way, at least I was able to get a new kit for my loss and I have it ageing in my hangar.

ketil 12-16-2003 08:58 AM

thanks.

I go fore the zenoah.
not so expensive,this will be fun,
Walter D very nice looking bellanca.

Ketil

Kellermann 12-17-2003 03:48 PM

Ketil,
you choose one of the sweetest airplanes to model, with one of the most scale kits - the Pilot kit. I have been looking for one for years now and can't find one.

Walt - nice looking model.

Why don't you guys don't come by to check the Hostettler 33% Decathlon thread? Lotsa information there....

Marcus

TheEdge 12-17-2003 04:21 PM

If this helps any, I have the ARF that Giant Scale Planes puts out and from what I understand, it is a copy of the Pilot.
I placed a Brison 3.2 in mine and it is a wonderful match. But, you still see the Plug Lead.

I have a glass cowl if anyone needs one,

LuvBipes 12-17-2003 06:00 PM

Hi Edge, I'm interested in your cowl. Pls reply to [email protected]

I'm building one of these which I found on Ebay last year. Got the tail feathers done and the fuse about half-way framed-up. It's like a tough 3D puzzle, what with the minimalist instructions. Nice to know there's folks around that can give advice on it. Being a strictly glow guy, I was thinking of either a Miki 1.8 or OS 1.6 for it. If it needs nose weight, I think I might go with the Moki.

Flybipe 12-19-2003 12:51 AM

Has anyone here flown this model with either of the OS 4 stroke twins? I am concerned that the 1.6 might be too little, but the 3.0 might be way too much. The sound would be terriffic though!

Kellermann 12-19-2003 03:54 AM

I have read a feature in a German magazine of a SD scratchbuilt from Pilot Kit plans, and powered by the 3.0, worked well.
Marcus

acrego 01-02-2004 04:27 AM

I am very interested about Pilot's Bellanca Decatlhon construction drawings in order to lighgtly reduce the scale to adecuate to Os 120 surpass . If someone
would want send me a photo copy of the drawings i pay for the costs of the operation . In my country is imposible for me to get this or another comercial
kit or drawings to build this plane .

Thanks

jaycam 01-06-2004 08:09 PM

I do agree that Pilot created the most scale Super Decathlons ever. I have the 1/4 scale, two of the 40 size Decathlons(which is an exact scaled down version of the 1/4 scale), and also have the smaller 25-30 size Citabria, which too is very scale. I have only been able to finish one of the 40 size Decathlons and what a pleasure it was to build and never have I build something that when complete was so exact. I will have some photos to post shortly. My question is has anyone built this smaller Pilot Decathlon and if so are its flight characteristics anything like its 1/4 scale brother.

Thanks Very Much,
Mike M

jaycam 01-08-2004 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just thought I would send out some photos of my 40 size Pilot Decathlon. It has a 64 inch wing, door and window opens, it's covered with Solartex fabric, painted with Top Flite Lustrecoat clear over Krylon spray and it's powered by an O.S. 52 four stroke. It was a pleasure to build and is very realistic.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Mike

Walter D 01-09-2004 05:35 PM

Hey Mike, great looking bird, love the shade of green, which one is it, would like to have it on one of my airplanes.

jaycam 01-10-2004 03:38 PM

Thanks for the compliment. The green is Krylon's Emerald Gloss Green which is then covered with Top Flite's Lustrecoat in order to fuel proof it.

Mike

quietflyer 01-11-2004 01:10 AM

Great looking planes! Who sells the 1/4 scale Decathlon in the U.S./Canada ? Thanks.

jaycam 01-11-2004 05:25 PM

If you're looking for the most scale realism, my suggestion would be to keep an eye on ebay and search for PILOT kits. There is a very scale 40 size Decathlon on ebay right, it's the green one I built. Giant Scale Planes has an ARF and an ARC which is based on the PILOT kit but will need some work to make it scale. Hostetler has a 1/4 scale and a 1/3 scale which are nice but not true to scale in my opinion. You might also want to look at the Modellbau company in Germany, they have some nice Decathlons too.

kadettim 02-07-2004 09:32 PM

Hi,

Today I acquired (I think) a 1/4 scale Pilot Bellanca Super Decathlon at our local flying club's annual auction. After close review of Walter D's great photos I think that I have the Pilot version. The plane is in pretty good shape except that it is missing the pilot and seat and a few minor patches on the coat. I can tell where the seat was located originally. The color scheme is green and yellow.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this plane how I may find documentation, a pilot, seat, and parts for it? The tank is also missing so I need to find the right size tank. Any information about this plane would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tim

Cubguy 02-14-2004 10:21 AM

What is the wingspan on the 1/4 scale Pilot Super Decathlon.

kadettim 02-17-2004 08:58 PM

Cubguy,

Thanks for the reply. The wingspan is 96 inches.

I noticed that you live up the road a bit in Highlands Ranch. I am member of the Jefcoaeromodlers and I bought the plane at the annual auction this month.

Thanks,

Tim

Kellermann 04-08-2005 06:06 AM

Hola Amigo,
I have not received alerts to post replies on this thread, so I only saw your question today when I decided to check the site. I am still on the Hostettler 33% scale SD thread.

I dont think you should make the Pilot Super Decathlon scale smaller for the OS 120 - this Kit was originally designed for 60-2C or 120-4C engines.
Those who built it for gas engines had to beef the structure up to cope with the greater forces and vibration. SO if you build it exactly per plans you'll have a strong, lightweight 1/4 scale airplane.

I don't have the drawings of the Pilot kit, but I have a similar design of the Citabria, which could easily be modified to a Super Decathlon by making the ribs semi-symmetrical.

If you're still interested, please let me know and I'll send you a copy.
Dame tu direccion y te lo mando.

Marcus from Brazil

crashmaster5000 04-16-2005 10:35 PM

[sm=confused.gif]does anyone know if Pilot has a website or how I can get one of these kits? I can't resist the urge to check into this kit, I have a .50 size decathlon from global and I love the lines of this plane and if the 1/4 scale flies anything like that one, I gotta get one. I have a U.S. Engines 42cc that's just begging for a good plane.

Walter D 04-17-2005 08:34 AM

Check the classified section, there was one for sale NIB just a few days ago, or enter your name into the Wanted adds, you will very likely find one there.

Kellermann 04-17-2005 12:03 PM

Pilot is out of business. If you get a 1/4 kit, grab it as it is becoming a collectors item...

Marcus

lynchr 03-02-2008 05:54 PM

I am currently building the Pilot kit and will post some pictures soon. If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to help any way I can. Please do not ask for a copy ov my plans as I live out in the country and do not have a way to get them copied (the fuselage blueprint is 3' by 8')

Kellermann 03-02-2008 09:52 PM

Hey Lynchr
great news!!
Please post some pix as you progress building and finishing the plane. A pity you can't copy the plan, would you even think of sending it to me so I get it copied and then send it back to you?

Or is there anyone out there who owns a plan for this plane?

Marcus

IMAC781 03-04-2008 08:07 PM

Here's a 1/4 scale ARF Decathelon getting positve feedback on RCU [link]http://www.rcguys.com/decathlon.html[/link]
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7175457/tm.htm[/link]

lynchr 03-06-2008 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are several pictures of progress. The two taken on the driveway are where I am as of yesterday. I have about 350 hours in at at this point.

Marcus - Nice to see you pop up here. I have read the other Decathlon forums and know you are quite active. Based on what you had to pay for your ARF, I could sell you a set of plans for ... say $400. Just kidding. Next time I am in town (it could be a while) I will see if Kinko’s could scan the plans into a raster file so they could be scaled to whatever size is desired.

For anyone that would like to build this plane from the Pilot plans please consider the following. I am a retired mechanical engineer and will tell you that not every die cut lite ply part could be duplicated. For example, some cross section views of the bulkheads only shows the top, or bottom, of it. There is just not enough information to make a pattern from. There are other parts that would be a problem as well. If I could obtain a NIB kit, I would make patterns for the die cut parts.

If anyone out there has, or gets, a kit and wants to build it, I can give you some tips that will save a lot of grief and surprises. Each part of the plane has some “challenges”.

I just bought a ¼ scale Pilot Tiger Moth kit that has not been molested (my Decathlon kit was) and I am not going to be in too big a hurry to build it. I might take the time to trace all the parts for patterns first.

Kellermann 03-07-2008 08:55 AM

Hey Ron
I am in many different Decathlon forums...
as for the plans, I guess what you mentioned won't be a problem for an old balsa worm like myself...if you could get those plans scanned in that would be great...let me know...

As for you plane, looks absolutely nice. Keep up that good work. I would like to build mine in that size for e-power...

See ya

Marcus

Hardy1000 02-02-2010 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am currently buildinga 1/4 scale Pilot Decathalon kit that was given to me. I tried to buy the kit from my friend over a span of 25 years and finely he just gave it to me. The kit has never been openedto my suprise. I am in my 3rd week of framing and the only flaw that I have run into is the instructions and construction photos are bad but the die cutting and parts are perfect this kit is truly a gem. You did a very nice job on your Decathalon it looks great. I just joined this forum tonight after googling the Pilot Decathalon. Ordered a DLE 30 for it.

ORIGINAL: jaycam

I just thought I would send out some photos of my 40 size Pilot Decathlon. It has a 64 inch wing, door and window opens, it's covered with Solartex fabric, painted with Top Flite Lustrecoat clear over Krylon spray and it's powered by an O.S. 52 four stroke. It was a pleasure to build and is very realistic.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Mike

Hardy1000 02-02-2010 08:32 AM

After seeing your framed Decathalon I noticed that you have a Waco on the floor, that is my next project after I finish my Decathalon. I have a 1/5 scale Pica Waco.</p>

Revy 02-02-2010 11:15 AM

More and more vintage kits are comin' outta the wood werk. Almost like we need a vintage kit thread or somethin', lol. :D Good job![8D]

Hardy1000 02-02-2010 10:55 PM

I agree, the wood kits are not only fun to build but are gratifying to fly knowing that you built it yourself. Wood airplanes forever!!! Always looking for vintage kits to build. Anyone have a 1/4 scale Bridi Rearwin Speedster for sale out there.

pcsol 02-03-2010 12:30 PM

Wow,
I have been keeping my eyes open for one of a Pilot Deca for ten plus years ! Lucky you !
In my 30 plus years in this hobby building and flying one of these back in the early nineties stands out as one of my favorite experiences.
The DLE should be sweet :-)

lynchr 02-04-2010 07:37 PM

Hi Hardy 1000
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pilot kits. I now have over 2000 hours in my Decathlon (over 2 + years) and am getting close. As soon as I get the trim on the top of the wings, I will post more pictures here.

If you are interested in any advice, I am more than willing to help you. I would really like to build another one now that I know the pitfalls. If you want to send me a PM with your phone number, I'll call you.

Ron

Hardy1000 02-05-2010 09:20 AM

Thanks Ron,

Ijust put on the tail feathers last night. I carved and sanded the blocks prior to mounting which saved alot of time and will have the new DLE 30 Monday so I can build the motor box. Its a good thing that I have been building models along time because the instructions are, well, leave alot to be desired but the kit is awsome quality. I am waiting on a price for a Pilot Bucker Jungmann 29.5% from a guy out here. There is one in the classified on this forum but it is to pricy for me.

Love to see some pics.

P.S. I worked with Kirby Custom Graphics to get the graphics correct for the Decathalon so if you ever have to recover yours give Dennis a call and he will build you a set.

Del

McPhantom 06-18-2010 03:19 PM

<span class="long_text" id="result_box"><span title="" style="">Hello everyone. </span><span title="">I am new to the forum, in fact I found it looking for the plans of this beauty. </span><span title="">I'm from Argentina and I was wondering if anyone has a chance to send me the plans either digital or paper as it had one of these to buy used and ended up crashing after an engine failure at a low altitude pass .... </span><span title="">I would pay for all costs means send that copy. </span><span title="">Thank you so much and those who are building one .... </span><span title="">not going to regret ever because it's a really beautiful airplane flight of this kit in particular is highly scalable. </span><span title="">I had it decorated like the box (yellow, black and white) with a Super Tigre 3250 engine and it took him very well. </span><span title="" style="">As you find them I'll upload some pictures.

Ignacio
</span></span>

Kellermann 06-18-2010 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ignacio
soy Marcus de Brasil y tengo una pagina web marcusmodelfactory.com en donde podremos mantener contacto. Yo construo kits y modelos de Decathlon en escala 30% que es un poco mas grande que el de Pilot pero aunmás escala - para motores de 50-80cc

Echale un vistazo y enviame mail a la direccion indicada en la pagina web.

Slds
Marcus

Kellermann 06-18-2010 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ignacio
soy Marcus de Brasil y tengo una pagina web marcusmodelfactory.com en donde podremos mantener contacto. Yo construo kits y modelos de Decathlon en escala 30% que es un poco mas grande que el de Pilot pero aunmás escala - para motores de 50-80cc

Echale un vistazo y enviame mail a la direccion indicada en la pagina web.

Slds
Marcus

amladinic 06-22-2010 03:19 PM

I am finishish the plane. I was planning to use a OS120 four strokes. It is enought for a Bellanca?

Thanks for your help

Note: McPhantom, yo soy de Chile y tengo los planos. Pongamonos de acuerdo y te envio una copia

Kellermann 06-22-2010 04:27 PM

Amladinic
I think the 1.20 will be a good power if you built the plane exactly as per the kit. After all, when it was designed the main powerplants were .60s and that´s why the structure is so light.
If you decided to cover with fabric and paint, you might consider using a little bigger engine, but then again you must consider beefing up the structure a little, specially when using gasoline engines, which vibrate much more.

Rgds
Marcus
P.S. Si no es pedir demasiado, podriamos hacer arreglo para enviarme tambien una cópia de los planos...