RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   composite arf yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1712546-composite-arf-yak.html)

flyinrazrback 04-11-2004 01:42 PM

composite arf yak?

anyone seen the new composite arf yak yet? anyone know if they are available yet?

Eruption 04-11-2004 05:49 PM

RE: composite arf yak?

I saw the 2.6 Yak at the JR Challenge and at the IMAC contest at Hodges 2 weeks ago.

The shipment will be in the States by the end of April.

You can order now.

Kevin

PlaneCrazzy 04-23-2004 07:02 PM

Ordered my 2.6 Yak Today !!!

schroedm 04-24-2004 05:41 PM

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago :D :D

Do you know if they have carried the concept of the criss-cross carbon tows throughout the fuselage down from the 3.3m Yak??

Question is, will the first batch be problem free considering what they've learnt from the 2.6m Extras or are we gonna be guinea pigs again? ;)

Rgds,
Mark

FormerMember 04-24-2004 08:30 PM

Does the canopy hatch fit better than it did on the extras? What about the canopy itself?

Any other modes or changes?

Thanks
Craig

mu2driver 04-26-2004 09:25 AM

The Canopy should fit perfict, even the Extra you are talking about should fit perfict.

Woodscra it sounds to me like you might of had a defected one because the one's I have seen and built were just fine. No warps...

I have my 2.6 Yak on order as well cant wait, it will be better than the Extra in many ways...

schroedm 04-26-2004 09:36 AM

Darcy,

My friend flew his 3.3m Yak yesterday and was blown away by it - said it was better than his 3m C-ARF Extra and 3m Cap so here's hoping the 2.6m flies just as well!

We'll probably see lots of Comp-ARF Extras up for sale in a few months!!

Rgds,
Mark

mu2driver 04-26-2004 10:14 AM

Well I do believe it will be a better performer then the Extra, just dont want to start any wars here. I for one will keep my Extra as a back up just incase...you never know ?

Seems everyone with the Big Yak are very pleased with its performance...

Leardriver 04-26-2004 08:39 PM

The word from Larry Tudor is that the carbon webbing that is on the 3.3 YAK and the 3.1 Super-X is NOT going to be carried over to the PRODUCTION 2.6 YAK despite the fact that the pic on the web site does indeed show the webbing.

Leardriver

jongurley 04-26-2004 08:51 PM

What makes the Yak fly better than the Extra, is there a big difference in the airframe design or what, would be great if you guys could give me some information.....

Eruption 04-26-2004 08:54 PM

Guys,

Just returned yesterday from the IMAC Spring Classic in Land O'Lakes, FL. I got to fly the prototype 2.6M YAK.....Same one that was at the JR Challenge. It is equipped with a DA100, K&S tuned pipes, and CA's proprietary prop (not sure what size).

Just for some background.....I own the 3.3M Yak, owned the 2.6M Extra for 1 year and have the "baby" Yak on order, too.

The prototype does have the criss-cross carbon fiber weave in the fuse....however, I heard the production models will not. The canopy fit perfectly. No Carbon spars like the Extra....rather an aluminum tube. Not sure what size, but hopefully someone will make a carbon fiber tube that will fit. Hardware and linkages were the standard CA stuff that you see on the Extra.

EVERYTHING was installed in front of the wing tube. It was running on NICADS and they were even mounted to the sides of the firewall.

Distance from the firewall to the cowl lip was 7". I plan on running a BME Extreme 110, and took the measurement so I could go ahead and order some aluminum mounts from Roger Forgues. The front portion of the cowl lip splits at the bottom just like the big Yak. This lets you remove it to access the engine compartment without reomoving the prop and spinner.

The built in pipe tunnel had been modified....made longer to accomodate the long KS pipe. I don't know if the production model will have a longer tunnel or not. Gear is like the big YAK....Big, beefy carbon tubes that should withstand some firm landings or rough runways.

How does it fly? For a 33%, awesome and, yes, better than the 2.6M Extra. Flies like a pattern ship....very axial, with slower downlines than the slick Extra. Presents very well in the IMAC sequences. Snaps stop on a dime, just like it's big brother.

Didn't try 3d. Now I wish I would have since that's really why I wanted the BME/YAK combo.

Does it fly as good as the Big Yak??? No....The owner flew the "baby" through the Unlimited sequence, then flew my big YAK. He flew the sequence much better with the big one.

I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed.

Kevin

DKjens 04-26-2004 08:57 PM

I believe one of the reasons the Yak flyes so well, particularly with very little, if any coupling in knife edge, is because the engine thrust line, wing incidence line and elevator incidence line are pretty close to each other, and more or less right on the center line of the fuse. Add to that, the great big fuse, generating lots of lift in knife edge, making the rudder work less, again helping to minimize coupling, or tucking. I am sure the wing shape has alot to do with the slow stall characteristics, or maybe the low wing loading does.

Kevin, so do you anticipate a problem getting CG to a decent point on the Yak? Sounds like, even with the 2 lbs heavier DA, everything was mounted foorward of CG/wing tube. Maybe I should hold on to my two JMB cans, in case I need the extra 2 lbs op front when I get mine (mid June) and install my BME110X. I flew my Extra with the 110X and it didn't fly tail heavy, still required a slight push for inverted, and landed itself without need to keep speed up and push the nose down/keep the tail flying.

DKjens

Eruption 04-26-2004 09:01 PM

A couple of thing make it fly better.....

1. Wing, stabs and fuse are on the same longitudinal axis.

2. Big round cowl means more drag for slower downlines....makes for better presentation and more time to "think" your way through manueavers.

3. Fuse is round....especially important above and below turtledeck behind canopy. This means little or no pitch coupling.... Like in knife edge flight Extras tend to pitch toward their belly requiring up elevator....depending on design anywhere from 8-15% radio mixing to compensate. Depending on CG, the Yak requires no mixing or maybe 1-2% MAX.

Kevin

Eruption 04-27-2004 09:37 AM

Posted by DKjens......

Kevin, so do you anticipate a problem getting CG to a decent point on the Yak? Sounds like, even with the 2 lbs heavier DA, everything was mounted foorward of CG/wing tube. Maybe I should hold on to my two JMB cans, in case I need the extra 2 lbs op front when I get mine (mid June) and install my BME110X. I flew my Extra with the 110X and it didn't fly tail heavy, still required a slight push for inverted, and landed itself without need to keep speed up and push the nose down/keep the tail flying.

DKjens

Response......

I don't know. I ordered the engine standoffs from Roger Forgues so that the backplate of the spinner is 1 1/2" forward of the cowl lip. Basically got the engine as far forward as possible.

The prototype Yak had the DA100 mounted such that the prop only had 1/4" clearance from the cowl lip. That means with my planned setup, I'll get the engine an additional 1 1/4" more forward than the prototype bird.

As soon as the airplane gets here, I will get it mounted and check the CG and post my findings.

I did pick up the 2.6 Yak by the wing tube phenolic while the wings were removed. The airplane would pitch forward slowly towards the nose. Also, the plane had 2 K&S full length tuned pipes installed which definitely added some weight behind the wing tube.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Extreme will work.

Kevin

schroedm 04-27-2004 10:04 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for all the info!!

Now I'm really looking forward to that big box turning up!!!

Rgds,
Mark

woodscra 05-03-2004 01:46 PM

Does anyone know the wing area for the 2.6m YAK?
Sounds odd that all that up front weight was required to balance, is the tail section or stabs thicker causing more tail weight?
Surely it was on a pull-pull setup.

Thanks

schroedm 05-05-2004 07:32 AM

Guys,

I see Comp-ARF have updated their site to include the Schulman scheme and the all white scheme for the 2.6m Yak!!

Rgds,
Mark

flyinrazrback 05-05-2004 03:53 PM

when I found out they were sold out, I just ended up getting an aeroworks 36% Katana.

walkerk12 05-07-2004 12:30 PM

The first batch was supposed to ship out this week. Has anyone recieved one yet???

Thanks,
Kevin

Vicster 05-08-2004 06:31 AM

HEY- I just recieved the Composite ARF 2.6 Yak! I am building it for a friend, George Smith,
here in Lake Havasu City, AZ. So far, it looks AWSOME! Finish is excellent. Can't wait to start the build. This is what will go in it ( so far )
DA 100 on cans
Futaba 9ZW and related equipment
Duralite batterys
Super lite wheels
Smoke sysyem
40oz. tanks
For the most part, it comes with alot of hardware. I'll check the parts out and see how they are. I will add some paint to the exsisting finish ( don't like the yellow stripe ) and do some airbrushing to liven it up. Only one draw back: no construction book yet. They where not ready for the first shipment. Most of the work to be done is straight forward and the book will be sent very soon. No problem- just DIG IN !
Anyway, I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.
Vic M. of AZ.

PlaneCrazzy 05-08-2004 08:37 AM

Hey Vcster,

Are you going to use a Power Box ?

mu2driver 05-08-2004 08:51 AM

I can wait to see it Vic, I will be over with my camera :D

Paul Cataldo 05-08-2004 10:51 AM

Hey Darcy,
Make sure to take PLENTY of PICS!!! Of EVERYTHING!!!! PLEASEEE!!!!! CAN'T WAITTTTTT!!!!!

mu2driver 05-08-2004 11:55 AM

I will indeed.....I should have them up tonight

schroedm 05-08-2004 12:28 PM

Hey Darcy, pictures aren't there yet :D :D I'm checking for them every 5 mins! :D :D :D