RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   YAK 54 TOC1 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2958296-yak-54-toc1.html)

Easy does it 05-09-2005 12:42 PM

YAK 54 TOC1

OK guy's. I bit the bullet and ordered a 30% YAK from TOC1 seeing as none of you were brave enough to do it. Well I have been on the night shift for a couple of weeks and I got home this morning to find 2 boxes. Well I just had to open them up, I will have to say that I was very sceptical about this plane. I was not dissapointed, It is built very well, the covering is amazing and the paint work is first class. In about 3 hours I have mounted the motor Brison 3.2 wings, tail feathers landing gear and tail wheel. The wings fit the fuse perfectly so do the stab's. The instruction sheet is very vague on some points but if you have built a few planes no one will have any trouble putting it together. The included gas tank is more suited to a glow plane so I trashed that and the spinner is cut very small again more along the lines of a glow prop but i can cut it out easy enough.I am not sure about the horns,(heavy duty surface mount) but I think I will use them I want to see if this bird will fly out of the box I had to trash the tank or I would get about a 5 minute flight.I tried to post pics but I get the old "error saving to disc" message, if any one wants pics send me your E-mail and maybe you could post them for me.I do not know if I can get her in the air this weekend but I will give it my best shot,and let you know how it goes. Going to bed! Later.

bodywerks 05-09-2005 01:25 PM

RE: YAK 54 TOC1

I think you will enjoy this plane. Yes, the TOC is a little heavierthan the EF, but the EF flies like a glider, so I am sure an extra pound won't matter. Did you get the silver or purple? Have you checked the alignment if the wing and stab tubes? I am curious to see if this is a general problem with larger planes, or just specific to the EF Yak.

adrian-RCU 05-24-2005 02:52 AM

:Dwell my toc yak is a great arf - superb quality and hardware - it came together in 2 days and looks pretty good - covering and general quality is better than my double vision and very much better than my friends wh - i use a zdz50ng and so far it works as good as my da50 - slightly better throttle response - 6 flights so far and all is well!!!

took a small video on the weekend. enjoy!! marvelous 50cc plane!!!

http://www.planesandmodels.com/image...s/yak_high.wmv

DKjens 05-24-2005 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: adrian-RCU
:Dwell my toc yak is a great arf - superb quality and hardware - it came together in 2 days and looks pretty good - covering and general quality is better than my double vision and very much better than my friends wh - i use a zdz50ng and so far it works as good as my da50 - slightly better throttle response - 6 flights so far and all is well!!!

took a small video on the weekend. enjoy!! marvelous 50cc plane!!!

http://www.planesandmodels.com/image...s/yak_high.wmv
Adrian, that's a bad ass video. I have one of the 40% Yaks, also in the purple scheme, and the quality of build and materials is very good. I've had some problems with the engine I chose for my Yak, so I've only had two flights on mine so far, but both were very promising. In other forums/site, where people don't jumb to conclusions about a manufacturer/importer before even seeing the first production model, all the TOC1 planes presently available, have been getting very good reviews. The 30, 35 and 40% Yaks, although large, and advertised to come out a bit heavy, seem to be perfect fits for the DA 50, 100 and 150 size engines. This may actually be an importer and website (www.toc1.com) where the advertised finished weight is higher than the real weight.
DKjens

adrian-RCU 05-26-2005 02:24 AM

well this plane does not fly heavy at all!!! its in fact a floater and at 16lbs1oz - with a zdz50 and tbm li ion;s - my double vision is heavier by at least a pound but it also flies absolutely great - bipes just do it different - the toc yak is probably the best 50cc arf out there!!!! and i have flown many of the others!!

rmh 05-26-2005 07:09 AM

Adrian- your YAK video shws the plane responds very well .
Our EF YAK also has the DZNG50 and power is extremely good w/AMTpipe and 23x8 JAS prop -or 22x8 Mejzlic-or anything that spins!
Which prop worked best for you ? Or did you find it really was not too important.

adrian-RCU 05-27-2005 03:58 AM

hi dick

well the engine is really new so i am not yet trying to wring it out - i use a bolly 22x10 but i will try many props this week end - it will be a 23x8bolly wood, 22x10bolly carbon and a biela 22x8 - i will then post some stats - but i am impressed with the throttle response better than my da and it feels like the power is the same as the da so that means its great because the da set the bar for 50cc new generation engines pretty high - i also find that it starts very easy - many guys told me its a nightmare to start, not so!!!! its just different to the da with its reed valves - but i followed your(dick hansen) starting procedure to the tee and it really starts first time most of the time - i am impressed and will soon also buy a zdz160 champion this will also be tested against my da 150,[8D]

bodywerks 05-27-2005 05:15 AM

Columbo 05-27-2005 09:05 AM

That was one of the most intense walls I have ever seen. The rolling harriers were awesome also.
Nice flying plane and great flying skills. I am getting ready to test fly a KMP Yak which is a similar
plane. It also has a ZDZ 50 and is my firs ZDZ engine. Glad to hear it starts easy and has plenty of
power.

Greg

DKjens 05-27-2005 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: bodyworks
Nice vid! I am suprised there isn't more hype about this plane. If I were on the waiting list for the EF yak and tese suddenly became available, I'd just buy one of these! After my little mishap with my composite gear on my EF Yak, I am starting to think that TOC had the right idea sticking with aluminum...simple and forgiving.
Bodyworks,
TOC1 got a bad rep. in this forum before anybody even saw the first production model or dealt with them. There are numerous people on this website, who apparently don't have better things to do, than concoct stories and innuendos about otherwise promising looking new products. I was astounded at how many pages a certain thread in this forum grew to, in which people did nothing but try to mis-credit these planes, their builder and their importer. And all this before even seeing a production model. I think perhaps many people who would be interested in these planes read this thread, and was scared away from buying one. I went ahead and bought a 40% Yak and I am more than satisfied. Matt, at TOC1 up in WA, is a pleasure to deal with, his service is first class, and he has been very professional about the whole !QUOT!storm in a cup!QUOT! in this forum.

On the Cirkus site, where speculations and innuendos are not aired or even thought of, these planes have been described and criticized purely from first hand knowledge, and are receiving nothing but kudos, and many people are buying them. Another note worthy fact is, that just in the first 3 containers of these planes, the Yak54 has been available in 5 different covering schemes, something I've never seen before (diversity).
DKjens

cbk07 05-27-2005 11:08 AM

Adrian, thanks for posting the video. VERY nice flying!! You would be deadly with a 40% as you make the maneuvers look easy with a 30%. Glad to see the Yaks are flying so well. I see a 40% TOC in my near future. Keep having fun with it and again, great stick work. Craig

adrian-RCU 05-31-2005 02:29 AM

:Dthanks dude - this plane really flies well - i have a 40% on order - great value too!!!

best adrian

bodywerks 05-31-2005 07:21 AM

!

R/C Pat 05-31-2005 08:39 PM

Adrian, I had the local 3-D maniac at my field test fly mine (too many nerves) and wow, what a plane after hearing all the negative things about TOC1 I told him to give it all he's got.
He did and It handled everything really well, Obviously I have a lot of trim flights to do to get her set up just right but it flies like a dream I am using a Brison 3.2 with 22/10 Bolly prop, Excellent! Excellent plane.
My skills are nowhere near yours but with this plane I can already tell It will not be too difficult to hone my own.
The only problems were that the fuel tank is way too small and the spinner was cut way under size(easy fixes)
I do not know anyone with (the other one) but it would seem you get a little more in the way of accessorys with it for just a few dollars more. and the manual could use some work, but if you have put together a few planes there really should be no problem.
I am glad that I got this YAK instead of waiting for something else and anyone wanting a great 30% 54 should not be afraid to buy from these guy's (the things that were said in other posts maybe put some people off)
Kudos to TOC1 and Matt (great guy to deal with)

adrian-RCU 06-02-2005 01:50 AM

thanks dude - i realy enjoy this plane - it is good and the quality is great and its fine value and its flies great and its forgiving and its stable and and - i hope you will enjoy yours as much as we are - good luck and it all comes with practice!![8D]

AndresAM 06-02-2005 02:16 PM

What is the covering material on this plane? Hope is not Chinacote.....
Thanks,
Andres

TooLy 06-02-2005 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: AndresAM

What is the covering material on this plane? Hope is not Chinacote.....
Thanks,
Andres
oracover

h82crash 06-17-2005 12:31 AM

I've been flying my DA50 on a 16 oz tank since I've owned it and it is plenty for 12-14 minute flights.

aerowiz 07-24-2005 08:07 AM

hi

i bought a toc yak 30%. i am putting it together and i am thoroughly impressed.

test flight should be thursday and will post some pics.

dont believe what you read all the time, the quality is quite good.

aerowiz

Josey Wales 07-24-2005 01:41 PM

Nice video! They look like real nice airplanes..from watching the video it seems to fly very light..Im definitely impressed..Ive been waiting for the EF Yaks to come in but if they dont get here soon Im going to look hard at the TOC Yak or the QQ Yak..Does anyone know if you can get the TOC in all white?

FJ-Air 07-25-2005 10:07 AM

All white is not a cover scheme they have however you can order it in all white and they will make it for you. You can call TOC and find out how long it will take...

Bob Pastorello 08-21-2005 07:58 AM

I'm getting one of these and was wondering what CG and control travels you all are using? I'd like to setup high rates for 3D, low for precision.

Regards covering - does it need the typical "re-iron; seal edges" treatment?

FJ-Air 08-21-2005 09:43 AM

The covering did not need any touching up with an iron out of the box, but after a few flights it needed the basic touch ups with an iron and a soft rag. The control throws I started with is what I do for all my planes of this type, low rate as little as I can get by with, mid rate half way between high and low rate, high rate the maximum throw I can get which is alot on this plane. I have a 10x so I have the 3 rates on each control surface. I could not tell you exactly unless I measured them, I adjust them at the field after the first few flights to what I like then I match them at home and go back to the field and try em again.

rmh 08-21-2005 12:18 PM

Bob -stick all the throw you can git for flailing away -45-50 degrees everywhere -each way . then add about 70% expo - then switch back to about 25% throw for patterny type flying .
If you can- use servos such as 8411 for wings and elevators and 8611A -for rudder
One really good high output NIMH for the radio (look into the new cells from electric flyer sites or get latest JR NIMH cells )
900 ma on engine is plenty -if you get the new stuff.
Get a prop/engine setup that will crank 7000 plus on a Mejzlic 23x8 - or more
then -you will start to get into the power /weight of the old Petrel -
The Yaks are good flyers -you will like it.
stay under 16 lbs
I am doing another light /super high power setup --for my own amazement--

Bob Pastorello 08-21-2005 12:41 PM

FJair - sounds like pretty good covering. Have to just wait and see.

Thanks, Dick. Roj on the batts and servos; that's what I have planned. If it is nearly as powerful as the Petrel, it will be enough to scare me into common sense.:D

Any CG suggesions, anyone?