RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

awesome 01-03-2011 04:53 AM

RE: Extreme Flight 88

1 Attachment(s)
Last pics
Leon:D

JoeAirPort 01-03-2011 06:27 AM

Looks great. Your weight is right where it should be with the pipe and extra fuel. Mine is 17# 13.5 ounces with no fuel. It has the DL-50 with stock 3.4 ounce muffler and Kavan air tires, no wheel skirts. Yours will probably be right where mine is when you ditch the DPSI BIC. The CG is not as critical on this as other planes out there. It will fly very neutral at almost any CG in its range. Mine is about 7.25 inches and flies great.

lokiyawl 01-03-2011 06:54 AM

"What do the experienced EF users think? I've not had one of these before , but have had 4 other 50cc Yak 54's from other manufacturers , so will be interesting to compare.
Thanks , Leon. "

Leon,

I think that it will probably be love at first flight! I don't know of anyone that has not said positive things about this plane. I concur with what Jo said about the CG. I have flown mine a bit tail heavy and nose heavy and the plane flew fine in both trims though certainly slightly nose heavy is preferred. Just do everything you can to insure that the engine is reliable before your first flight and that your controls are setup correctly. Let us know how it goes for you.

James

awesome 01-03-2011 07:12 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys , i have been looking forward to this particular plane for a while after reading all the posts and seeing most of the video you guys have posted.
Don't know what happened when i uploaded the pics though? Last Yak 54 i had was an SD 30%, was my favourite plane till it went in from having the RX whip antenna being shadowed by the aluminium tuned pipe i installed (was on JR 9X with 36mhz at the time) , was doing a knife edge circle and when the belly of the plane was in front of me , went into PCM lockout , low throttle and did the prettiest knife edge into the deck! Was fine for over 70 flights before i wen to the pipe. Oh well , live and learn i guess.
Went to the A9 about 7 months ago and am still coming to grips with the expo vs the JR , which was a lot nicer IMHO.
This one is to replace it , if it flys better than the SD i reckon i should be in Yak heaven!
Still waiting for a Secraft double lock rudder arm for the servo , the current one uses an ally hub with an SD ally arm bolted to it which is probably o.k. , but i still like the double lock arms. Won't stop me from a maiden , provided the gale winds we've been having here abate.
I'll report back after the maiden flights for sure and give you my opinion if you like , not that i can 3D as well as some of the pro's on here...
I know this has probably been asked a zillion times , but how far back are you guys running the C.G. from the wingtube centreline? I'm right dead nuts centre with a 1/2 tank of flying juice?
Thanks again , Leon.

lokiyawl 01-03-2011 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: awesome

Thanks for the encouragement guys , i have been looking forward to this particular plane for a while after reading all the posts and seeing most of the video you guys have posted.
Don't know what happened when i uploaded the pics though? Last Yak 54 i had was an SD 30%, was my favourite plane till it went in from having the RX whip antenna being shadowed by the aluminium tuned pipe i installed (was on JR 9X with 36mhz at the time) , was doing a knife edge circle and when the belly of the plane was in front of me , went into PCM lockout , low throttle and did the prettiest knife edge into the deck! Was fine for over 70 flights before i wen to the pipe. Oh well , live and learn i guess.
Went to the A9 about 7 months ago and am still coming to grips with the expo vs the JR , which was a lot nicer IMHO.
This one is to replace it , if it flys better than the SD i reckon i should be in Yak heaven!
Still waiting for a Secraft double lock rudder arm for the servo , the current one uses an ally hub with an SD ally arm bolted to it which is probably o.k. , but i still like the double lock arms. Won't stop me from a maiden , provided the gale winds we've been having here abate.
I'll report back after the maiden flights for sure and give you my opinion if you like , not that i can 3D as well as some of the pro's on here...
I know this has probably been asked a zillion times , but how far back are you guys running the C.G. from the wingtube centreline? I'm right dead nuts centre with a 1/2 tank of flying juice?
Thanks again , Leon.
Leon,

Sorry about the radio problem on your SD.. My Yak is electric powered. For my final CG it is setup so that with batteries installed and holding the plane from the wing tube, the nose tilts down slightly so it is just forward of the wing tube.

James

JoeAirPort 01-03-2011 08:04 AM

I believe the CG starts at the center of the wing tube and ends at the rear of the wing tube. I think that distance spans 3/4" but that's all from memory (6.75"-7.50" from leading edge at fuse).

diamondave 01-03-2011 01:02 PM

leon i think you will like this one a bit better, i had an sdyak, the 80cc size, it was a close second to this 88yak as far as being my favorite, they both were excellent flyers and enjoyable, it was close like i said, but the sd was second none the less, and that was slightly bigger and more powerful, so comparing this to the sd50cc you may notice even more of a difference, keep us posted...

AirWizard 01-06-2011 08:37 PM

The EF Yak seems to fly lighter than the SD yak

AirWizard 01-06-2011 08:41 PM

Welcome to the WOW Club Leon!!!!!

capt1597 01-10-2011 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

This may be a dumb question, but are there any bad tendancies when landing the EF Yak, like tip stall? I had about 25 flights before having my Yak destroyed in a collision with a tree. Am now building a new one, and had no trouble with first, except nervousness about landing. I am not new to this hobby, but I have found, if I am going to get bit, it is usually on landing and usually during the first 10 to 20 flights. Don't ask me to describe the tree incident, it is to painfull to relive.
i believe that in fact trees can move, run if you will. about four years ago a tree ran 350 yards across my flying field swiped my 4 star 60 out of the sky and then returned to its original spot and acted as nothing happened. the plane was held hostage at about 145 feet in the trees branches for over three weeks before the plane was relesed. i am telling you do not trust trees. they are evil, capt

Slow and Steady 01-11-2011 08:22 PM

It appears that alot of flyers have collisions with trees.

xtraflyr 01-11-2011 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

It appears that alot of flyers have collisions with trees.
We're lucky,our trees are about 1/4mile away. It's the25 acres of corn thats the problem!![:@]

Frank

aaworksla 01-12-2011 09:44 PM

FOR SALE JR 8711 SERVO BRAND NEW $80 AT STORES $139.99 MESSAGE ME.

aaworksla 01-12-2011 09:54 PM

FOR SALE JR DS8711 DIGITAL ULTRA TORQUE METAL GEAR SERVO WITH HEAT SINK OVER 400 OZ/IN OF TORQUE AT STORES THERE PRICED AT 139.99 IM SELLLING THIS FOR 80 BUCKS  BRAND NEW NEVER USE SERVO  GOOD FOR GIANT SCALE ND HEILS EMAIL ME AT [email protected]  THANKS                     <br type="_moz"/>

diamondave 01-13-2011 03:32 AM

awesome 01-28-2011 10:44 PM

O.K. , officially , WOW!:D Maiden flight of the 88 today. 0 _ 5mph crosswind. What can i say , er , WOW! Still too nose heavy for my liking , had about 1/8" up trim on elevator , no trim required on any other surface. Does a definate arc to canopy on inverted 45deg upline. Nose down attitude on spins. Probably o.k. for IMAC flying . C.G. is rear 1/2 of the wingtube. Feels like it may like to be behind the wingtube some. I went over the plane with an Aeroperfect meter to set up throws and check incidence , which are all spot on.
Tuned pipe length needs probably an inch or so trimmed , got 7050rpm static on a TZB 24 X 10 prop. Throttle response is crisp , but feels like top end is missing out slightly.
Was surprised at how much aileron throw is needed for fast rollers , was really tame on low / med rates. High rates are insane.
Floated on forever on landing , had to go around twice before i nailed it , probably has to do with being nose heavy at the current C.G. Landing gear seems fine , was concerned with the flex , but once the first landing was complete , i now really like this landing gear.
Conclusion , this is the BEST 50cc airframe i have ever had!:D

lokiyawl 01-29-2011 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: awesome

O.K. , officially , WOW!:D Maiden flight of the 88 today. 0 _ 5mph crosswind. What can i say , er , WOW! Still too nose heavy for my liking , had about 1/8'' up trim on elevator , no trim required on any other surface. Does a definate arc to canopy on inverted 45deg upline. Nose down attitude on spins. Probably o.k. for IMAC flying . C.G. is rear 1/2 of the wingtube. Feels like it may like to be behind the wingtube some. I went over the plane with an Aeroperfect meter to set up throws and check incidence , which are all spot on.
Tuned pipe length needs probably an inch or so trimmed , got 7050rpm static on a TZB 24 X 10 prop. Throttle response is crisp , but feels like top end is missing out slightly.
Was surprised at how much aileron throw is needed for fast rollers , was really tame on low / med rates. High rates are insane.
Floated on forever on landing , had to go around twice before i nailed it , probably has to do with being nose heavy at the current C.G. Landing gear seems fine , was concerned with the flex , but once the first landing was complete , i now really like this landing gear.
Conclusion , this is the BEST 50cc airframe i have ever had!:D

Awesome, Awesome!!(grin) I cannot remember anyone that maidened this plane that did not like it. I am pretty sure that mine will be a permanent part of my hanger and it's my favorite. I have flown my Yak slight nose heavy through slightly tail heavy and I didn't find any bad tendencies. That is really interesting that you feel that yours floats on landing because I feel that mine lands much shorter than my 74" Yak but maybe my 74" is trimmed too nose heavy.. I will have to revisit that. Have fun with it and good luck!

James

EXTREME FLIGHT 01-31-2011 09:19 AM

Congrats on the maiden flight awesome! I wish you much enjoyment and longevity with you Yak.

James, are you and your wife going to join us at the FX3D event in Jacksonville this year? Would be great to get to hang with you two! Hope you are doing well.

lokiyawl 01-31-2011 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: EXTREME FLIGHT

Congrats on the maiden flight awesome! I wish you much enjoyment and longevity with you Yak.

James, are you and your wife going to join us at the FX3D event in Jacksonville this year? Would be great to get to hang with you two! Hope you are doing well.
Hello,

I am sad to say that we won't be able to make it to FX3D this year but that we really really wanted to. Rest assurred that we will be there with bells on as soon as we are able. I have taken the excellent advice you gave me last year at FX3D to heart and hopefully the next time we get to hang out together my flying skills will have improved. Thanks again to you and all at Extreme Flight for all that you do to make this such an enjoyable hobby. The 50CC Yak is simply a work of art and it flies even better than it looks but then you know all of this. I cannot ever imagine not owning this aircraft, it will always have a permanent spot in the hanger.

James

xtraflyr 01-31-2011 06:15 PM

But now you need the 110" one !;) It doesn't look like they offer it in the red,blk,slvr version anymore though !![:o] Guess I'll get the Russian Thunder then! I already had the 74" and the 88" in the red,blk,slvr,time for a change anyways!

Frank..

lokiyawl 01-31-2011 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

But now you need the 110'' one !;) It doesn't look like they offer it in the red,blk,slvr version anymore though !![:o] Guess I'll get the Russian Thunder then! I already had the 74'' and the 88'' in the red,blk,slvr,time for a change anyways!

Frank..
Frank,

Nice to hear from you, how have you been? Are you planing to get a 110" Yak then? If so, really happy for you, it looks awesome. Yes, I struggled long and hard with whether to get the 110" Yak first as you may recall but I ended up with the 88" and when I discovered how well the 88 flies and the fact that it will fit in my car the desire for the 110" was diminished quite a bit. And then when Chris told me how important it was to find a good plane to to focus on getting that plane set up perfectly I decided to listen. I have been doing a lot of experimenting lately with smaller planes to figure out what works and not so that I can apply some of that to my 88 Yak, there is a lot to learn. Getting the vertical CG spot on for instance can make a big difference in how the plane handles, especially in edge. I can enviosion a couple years or more of tinkering with my 88 to get it the way I want it..and I am really looking forward to it!

The Red, White and Silver is my second most favorite scheme. One of my 74" planes is that color and I really like it. The Russian Thunder is sure nice too though! The Yak colour schemes are my favorites.

James

weezle 02-28-2011 09:05 PM

hey everybody,

its been a while, I have already begun the build on my replacement yak and was wondering how close are you guys getting the drive washer on your engines to the recommended 6.7 inches? Or are you just using the supplied standoff's? Last time I just used the supplies standoff's on my DLE 55 and I was about .7 inches short. The setup will be exactly the same except for the motor, this time I am using the BME 58

take care

josh

JoeAirPort 03-01-2011 01:23 PM

Really? My DL-50 with stock stand off's fit perfectly in my Yak. Hmmm. That makes no sense. It was 6.7 inches.

Slow and Steady 03-01-2011 06:56 PM

I built mine with a DLE 55 with the supplied standoffs, which I believe do not give the full recommended 6.7 inches. With the thrust washer extending 1 inch from the outer most part of the cowl, I have a 5/8 overlap of the cowl at the fuse. A little less than the 3/4 suggested in the manual.

JoeAirPort 03-02-2011 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The stock engine does most definitely give you 6.7". Mine actually stuck out the front a little more to give you the added prop/cowling clearance for better prop efficiency.

Look at this attached engine view. Shows 170 mm which is 6.69". I wonder what changed that you guys are coming up short. That 3/4" is only suggested. On my Extra I probably have a mm or two of overlap. Not a problem after 3 years of flying.