RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

Slow and Steady 03-02-2011 07:27 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 88

Hey Joe, I just described my results, which are effectively the suggested amount, but did not give the 3/4. I believe the manual says "about 3/4 inches". I agree that it is a non issue. My main concern was that I had some overlap and the 1" clearance with the cowl was accomplished. Yesterday, a fellow at our field was flying the 110" Yak and he had no overlap. I don't know how consistent that is with that manual, but didn't seem to effect the plane or his talent and ability. Love this plane and have to admit I was nervous about getting the build right to make sure I did it justice.

JoeAirPort 03-03-2011 05:44 AM

S and S, no problem dotting your i's and crossing your t's. This plane is worth all the extra effort. I'm the same way.

If you're trying to get cowling right up near the spinner back plate that might make the overlap shorter. I have my cowling pretty far behind the spinner. I don't mind it. Everybody's taste is a little differernt.

Slow and Steady 03-03-2011 12:59 PM

I have the one inch gap between the thrust washer and cowl. Prop is alittle further out due to the thickness of the spinner hub. This all seams like a non issue, with a final result similar to the manual recommendations.

weezle 03-03-2011 10:53 PM

I went home and re-checked the length of my standoff's+ engine and you are right joe, I have no idea what I was looking at, but everything was right on the money:D

JoeAirPort 03-04-2011 06:00 AM

Cool. The DL-50 and DLE-55 are perfect bolt-on engines for this air frame. DA-50 is too with the right stand off's. DA has several sizes.

Glad you guys are both all set.

weezle 03-09-2011 10:20 AM

here some photos of my progress motor is mounted. A friend of our club has a laser cutter and a CAD program so he cut the mount for me and I put it together.

weezle 03-09-2011 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pics!

JoeAirPort 03-09-2011 10:47 AM

Nice engine install !!! Looks solid.

3DAP 03-13-2011 07:36 PM

Mines for sale guys..... 875.00 RTF..!!! perfect plane no damage no bs what a steal.... any one near washington state interested?

JoeAirPort 03-14-2011 05:52 AM

Put it up in the Market place. It'll be gone in not time at all. Why are you selling it? New project?

3DAP 03-15-2011 04:01 PM

yea i got it up there joe.

Trying to get motocross habit out of my veins before im too Old..... lol

JoeAirPort 03-16-2011 04:06 AM

I thought it was the Yak. It's the Extra right? That's a good price. Should be gone in no time.

House2twist 03-23-2011 11:26 AM

So, for those of you running a pipe, which pipe are you running? I'm thinking it's about time I pipe my yak. I'm currently running a DA50 on stock muffs and I'm looking for a little more oomph.

exeter_acres 03-23-2011 11:43 AM

RE2
KS1060
ES Composite...

all are good

25mm drop for the headers.

The ES composite are nice, light, have good power...but they are a bit pricey

xtraflyr 03-23-2011 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: House2twist

So, for those of you running a pipe, which pipe are you running? I'm thinking it's about time I pipe my yak. I'm currently running a DA50 on stock muffs and I'm looking for a little more oomph.

On my old Yak I used a KS 1060 and on my EF Edge I'm using a ES Composites . To me they seemed about the same,with the ES being lighter like Curtis has stated. I think the ES is easier to mount,because it doesn't heat up like an aluminum pipe,so you can just put a bit of silicone where the tie wrap would wrap around it .

Frank..

frieshoo 03-28-2011 10:42 AM

Got Yak #2 ready for the maiden. Hopefully, this will be the last snow of the year. I went with Futuba servos for this one. I'm a little concerned about the rudder wag with only 200 oz-in of the torque. It has S9153's all around, except throttle (9252).

JoeAirPort 03-31-2011 05:50 PM

Cool, glad to hear you got a #2. What happened to #1? I would not tension the rudder cables too much. Just take out the slack. I think that can cause rudder wag. 200 ounces is not too bad for rudder. See how it works and if you need more, easy to change it out. I'm almost done with my 110 Yak and can't wait to fly it. Like you I hope no more snow. I should be ready for a maiden in a week or so. And I stress the so. :D

Slow and Steady 03-31-2011 06:02 PM

Any thoughts on prop size for the EF Yak with DLE 55 and stock muffler. I am currently using a Vess 22 B, but I'm thinking about the 23 B. The 22 B turns at 7,200 RPM restrained on the ground. DLE's manual rates the engine at 5.5 HP at 7,500 RPM, if that has any bearing. Vertical appears unlimited but slow.

ArcherIIDriver 03-31-2011 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Any thoughts on prop size for the EF Yak with DLE 55 and stock muffler. I am currently using a Vess 22 B, but I'm thinking about the 23 B. The 22 B turns at 7,200 RPM restrained on the ground. DLE's manual rates the engine at 5.5 HP at 7,500 RPM, if that has any bearing. Vertical appears unlimited but slow.
I go back & forth between the 23B and 23A. Depends on my mood. Most of the time, I like the 23B best...it seems to have a little better "bite" & vertical pull. Both the 23A & 23B are good choices and both are WAY better than the 22A & B, IMHO.

JoeAirPort 04-01-2011 04:40 AM

Yeah I hear all the time how well the Vess 23A and 23B run on that engine. Is your prop really close to the cowling? It should be spaced further away than other Extra or Edge type planes. The prop has better efficiency further away. A larger diameter prop might help that.

Slow and Steady 04-01-2011 07:14 PM

My prop is alittle over an inch from the leading edge of the cowling. I went from 22b to 23b today and didn't notice much difference. Today, A friend who has had 3 ef yaks also suggested the 23a. I will order and try. I noticed the DLE manual recommeds high octane gas; I believe 92. I am running on 87 and wonder if that is effecting performance also. This link shows a DLE 55 stock muffler and 23a with some pretty strong pull out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdIOX3rkwY

JoeAirPort 04-02-2011 06:36 AM

Increased octane won't increase power if the engine was designed for low octane gas (it was). It's for much higher compression engines to control combustion timing. Just low octane is all you need. Mid to high won't hurt it though. In really hot weather the high octane can keep the engine from detonating (that crackly sound at high RPM's). Also good for tuned pipes. You have the high needle tuned for peak RPM's? The 55 is a strong engine. Maybe the 23A will have better pull out. I think the huge cowling can hinder prop efficiency but I'm no expert on that. Just a theory that some of us share. Sounds like you have a good enough gap. I think my spacing is the same as yours. MY pull out is pretty good. It's a DL-50 with stock exhaust. Xoar 22x8 beech wood. I pasted a couple of videos of mine below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynkFiYZOS7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1SD21qAJoA

Slow and Steady 04-02-2011 05:06 PM

Hi Joe, I saw that first video months ago, when it was first posted. At the time, I suggested EF add a link from its site. It is a great video. Your a great flyer and I enjoy watching it; it is really well made -the videographer deserves some strong cudos also. I pulled out the Chinese manual for the DLE 55 and it recommends "clean petrol 93#, which I presume means 93 octane - their manual leaves alot to be desired. A later manual that I downloaded from the Tower site reccommends 87 to 93. What you noted about octane results sounds reasonable. I will post my max rpm and pull out after I run the 23a, while remaining with the 87 octane, 40 to 1 Red Line mix. I should note that my plane has not been weighed and I should check that before assuming it is a prop issue. I did some mods that likely put it on the upper end of the weight range. I did notice after changing from the 22b to the 23b that I had better braking and increased snap response, likely due to the diameter increase and increased prop wash beyond the cowl. Thanks for the help and advise, and the great videos.

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 04-03-2011 01:36 AM

Somewhere I read that the 93 octane in the book refers to what they get overseas where the engine is built. If I remember correct it is similar to the 89 octane that we have at the pump using the RM/2 method over here. 93 there like 89 here.

It has been a while.....but I tried 100 octane race gas in my DA-50 on stock muffler....no rpm gain...back to regular pump gas same top end rpm.

Weight of airplane will reflect in how quick it goes up on a vertical line with a similar engine/prop/thrust combo. If you plane for example weighs 16 pounds and you have 32 pounds of thrust you have 2-1 power to weight ratio....this will yield scalding up lines... in another example, if the plane weighs 18 pounds and you only have 28 pounds of thrust (pure examples) then you might only have 1.55 power to weight....much slower pull out. Most 3D pilots can fly 3D at 1.5 to one...most would rather have 2 to one.

What oil are you using?

JoeAirPort 04-03-2011 09:46 AM

Hi Joe, I saw that first video months ago, when it was first posted. At the time, I suggested EF add a link from its site. It is a great video. Your a great flyer and I enjoy watching it; it is really well made -the videographer deserves some strong cudos also. I pulled out the Chinese manual for the DLE 55 and it recommends ''clean petrol 93#, which I presume means 93 octane - their manual leaves alot to be desired. A later manual that I downloaded from the Tower site reccommends 87 to 93. What you noted about octane results sounds reasonable. I will post my max rpm and pull out after I run the 23a, while remaining with the 87 octane, 40 to 1 Red Line mix. I should note that my plane has not been weighed and I should check that before assuming it is a prop issue. I did some mods that likely put it on the upper end of the weight range. I did notice after changing from the 22b to the 23b that I had better braking and increased snap response, likely due to the diameter increase and increased prop wash beyond the cowl. Thanks for the help and advise, and the great videos.
Thanks for the compliments on the videos. The guy that does them is very good at it (he did only the 1st one). He also did one of us flying foamies indoors. Very cool to have a guy like that in our club.

Mine is 17# 13 oz dry and with the DL-50 sock exhaust...the pull out is not rocket but plenty for my needs. My Extreme Flight 100" Yak with DA-120 will very likely have a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio. The engine is supposed to grunt out 60# of thrust and my plane is going to weigh about 28 lbs.