RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/7372055-omp-hybrid-edge-540-build.html)

craigteffe 04-14-2008 12:36 PM

OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted to start a thread for my new Hybrid Edge 540 build. I have had one already and crashed it 2 months after i got it built due to a battery, regulator, or switch problem culprit is still unknown.

I liked the plane so well i wanted another, I will be using the following equipment
A123 batteries-eliminates a regulator and charge time is very low, one for ignition and 2 for reciever.
5955 on ailerons 5985 on elevators and 5955 on rudder, oh and on the throttle i will use a 5245
24 oz dubro tank
heavy duty dubro hardware, with a little modification here
I have an XPS reciever and a Futaba 9C radio

The plans say to build the fuse sides out of 3/32 and you have to edge and end glue 6 pieces together to form the sides. That is where I am at now.

craigteffe 04-14-2008 12:39 PM

RE: OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my last plane before i crashed it.

Tired Old Man 04-14-2008 05:32 PM

Isn''t that called the Fusion now? Nice looking plane!!

craigteffe 04-14-2008 05:42 PM

No its called the Hybrid. It has a 92 inch span.

marzo91 04-15-2008 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built one a couple years ago. I have a MVVS Prosport 58 in it. It flies like a giant foamy. Mine turned out to be 16 pounds, 7 ounces.

It's my favorite fun-fly plane.

For a light plane and huge wing, I was surprised that it has wing rock in the high alfa stuff. The only thing I would do differently is move the horizontal stab and elevator ahead a couple inches. The elevator shape should be changed a bit to fit the modification.That should be a simple fix.

SitNFly 04-15-2008 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Wanted to start a thread for my new Hybrid Edge 540 build. I have had one already and crashed it 2 months after i got it built due to a battery, regulator, or switch problem culprit is still unknown.

I liked the plane so well i wanted another, I will be using the following equipment
A123 batteries-eliminates a regulator and charge time is very low, one for ignition and 2 for reciever.
5955 on ailerons 5985 on elevators and 5955 on rudder, oh and on the throttle i will use a 5245
24 oz dubro tank

The plans say to build the fuse sides out of 3/32 and you have to edge and end glue 6 pieces together to form the sides. That is where I am at now.

What engine will you be using? Good thread; I''m interested in one of these.

ALT 04-15-2008 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more photos of Craig''s first, and now defunct, OMP Hybrid Edge 540. A fine flying plane! ''Can''t wait for the new one.

alpapilot 04-15-2008 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is mine. I absolutely love it. By far the best plane I have ever owned and I am not new to giants.

craigteffe 04-15-2008 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: marzo91

I built one a couple years ago. I have a MVVS Prosport 58 in it. It flies like a giant foamy. Mine turned out to be 16 pounds, 7 ounces.

It''s my favorite fun-fly plane.

For a light plane and huge wing, I was surprised that it has wing rock in the high alfa stuff. The only thing I would do differently is move the horizontal stab and elevator ahead a couple inches. The elevator shape should be changed a bit to fit the modification.That should be a simple fix.
Which way would you move the stab if you were building another?

craigteffe 04-15-2008 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

24 oz dubro tank

What engine will you be using? Good thread; I''''m interested in one of these.
I will be using the DL 50 in it with a Jtec wrap around pits muffler

marzo91 04-15-2008 04:45 PM

If I were to build another Hybrid, I''d move the stab and elevator toward the wing a couple inches. Also a slight mod should be made to trailing edge of the elevators to fit next to the fuse. (More like a Cap Tail group) Moving the stab/elevators forward exposes more of the rudder. High alpha wing rock should be less with more of the rudder exposed behind the elevators.

outssider 04-16-2008 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Craig

I think the move to the a123 is a good idea and i did the same thing but i would take a second look at using the xps. The latest news has been that it does not hop as advertised. This system could have been the cause of your first crash. I had a friend using this system and it worked great for a while, but then it didn''t. It only takes 5 seconds of no contact to ruin your day. I was going to use this system for my multiplex evo but decided not to in light of all the recent developments. Going out to fly mine today ;)

craigteffe 04-16-2008 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next the plans said to
Glue on the top and bottom 1/4" sq. balsa stringers making sure they are flush to the edge of the sheeting. You will need to splice the balsa together toward the rear of the fuselage to get the extra length. Note that the top stringer fits flush into the notch formed by the ply doubler and that you will need to leave 1/8" gap at the end of each stringer for the rear fuselage former.
Then
Cut and glue in place the 1/4" sq. balsa stabilizer bracing exactly 3 3/16" down from the top of the fuselage (measured from the top of the fuselage to the top of the stab opening). Again, be sure to leave 1/8" gap at the end. Glue the bottom stab brace on leaving exactly 1/2" gap for the stabilizer

Here are some pictures of my progress. I made a modification to the servo mounting on the elevators one in front of the other for one reason if i choose to use longer servo arms i can.

craigteffe 04-16-2008 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures.

craigteffe 04-16-2008 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: outssider

Craig

I think the move to the a123 is a good idea and i did the same thing but i would take a second look at using the xps. The latest news has been that it does not hop as advertised. This system could have been the cause of your first crash. I had a friend using this system and it worked great for a while, but then it didn't. It only takes 5 seconds of no contact to ruin your day. I was going to use this system for my multiplex evo but decided not to in light of all the recent developments. Going out to fly mine today ;)
This has crossed my mind a few times and i am looking into all my options as i type. I have 2 other planes that have the Xps since September and no problems as of yet, but since the crash i have doubts, and since it was a bad crash i really cannot determine the cause.

MetallicaJunkie 04-16-2008 09:38 PM

looking good!

do all the pieces come pre cut, or do you have to do all the cutting yourself?

Torqued-Up 04-17-2008 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Isn't that called the Fusion now? Nice looking plane!!
Nope...

I'm running A123's on Rx & Ign on my OMP Hybrid... Actually, I've switched to A123's on everything from my profiles to my 40% airplanes... It's all good...

craigteffe 04-17-2008 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

looking good!

All the ply is laser cut and the wing ribs are laser cut, you have to true up the balsa sheets to edge and end glue these together. I true up the first pieces, which ever edge is my refrence straight edge and then i begin to pin these to my building board. Then i end glue my sheets together and slide the next row of balsa sheets under the first by about a 1/16 and i use the edge from the first row to cut the second and they match up great then glue them together and repeat.

alpapilot 04-18-2008 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

looking good!

All the ply is laser cut and the wing ribs are laser cut, you have to true up the balsa sheets to edge and end glue these together. I true up the first pieces, which ever edge is my refrence straight edge and then i begin to pin these to my building board. Then i end glue my sheets together and slide the next row of balsa sheets under the first by about a 1/16 and i use the edge from the first row to cut the second and they match up great then glue them together and repeat.

That was probably the hardest part of the build. I'm glad that it was the first step so it was out of the way.

craigteffe 04-22-2008 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok one side done and now ready to start the cross bracing on the other side.

The manual said to glue the ply donuts to the inside of the fuse now, I will wait untill i finish building the wings so i can adjust the incidence then glue the donuts to the inside of the fuse for the bolts.

ben beyer 04-22-2008 03:22 PM

I second XPS being the culprit of your crash. I lost an airplane on the 7th flight because of it. I know it wasn't the batteries, switches, or regulator because they're still good and I'm still using parts of them. The parts that I didn't keep, I sold to friends and they haven't had any problems. I was just doing a go-around because I wasn't going to make the runway and it stopped responding.

Anyways, nice build! I've thought about getting one of these myself.

craigteffe 04-22-2008 03:35 PM

Well I have ordered the new futaba module and reciever and will be putting that in this plane and then will purchase more recievers for the rest of my planes when i feel that the futaba system is good.

craigteffe 04-28-2008 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i have finished up on the other side and now its on to installing all the bulkheads in the fuse and assembling the sides.

craigteffe 04-28-2008 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the landing gear blocks and all the bulkheads are in place next is to sheet the bottom with 1/16 balsa and install 1/8 ply tail wheel plate.

Here are a couple more pictures of my progress.

craigteffe 04-30-2008 07:26 PM

Update

Drilled the Fire wall and marked the centerlines and glued it in tonight, no pictures my battery died in my camera.