RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Plans for giant scale Corsair? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/84472-plans-giant-scale-corsair.html)

OCTANE75-RCU 03-22-2002 06:43 PM

Plans for giant scale Corsair?

I am looking for a place to purchase plans for a giant scale Corsair (preferrably 120" ws). If anyone knows of such an animal, I would greatly appreciate the help.

VoughtF4U 03-22-2002 09:04 PM

Bigger is better

I had a website a couple of months ago that had plans available for 1/5, 1/4 and 1/3 scale corsairs. For the life of me now I can't seem to find the link any more. I believe it was one of the sites from England, and they had several really big plans. I originally found them while looking for plans for a Halifax bomber.

The only other options I know of are taking Meister-Scale, Ziroli, or some other set of plans and enlarging them. Jeff Quesenberry is building a 13 foot Corsair from a set of blown up Ziroli plans I believe. I am sure he will stop in this thread sometime.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything.
-Scott-

viper16 03-23-2002 04:14 AM

Octane, I too am looking for a set of plans for the corsair @ around 115" with no luck. If you find something please let me know. Thanks

CaptainHook 03-25-2002 03:02 AM

Just sent Jeff email, I'm sure he can help.

mselby 03-25-2002 03:54 AM

The English site is from a fellow named Mark Stephens. I suggest you avoid him. I know of at least three people who ordered kits or built planes from him, and after more than a year received nothing.
Mike

F4u5 03-25-2002 04:03 AM

Biggie Corsair plans

I would take Ziroli's plans to Kinko's and have them enlarge the plans 29 percent, which will give you a 119 inch span. I assure you it will be 120 inch when you are done building it. I have been enlarging plans this way for 4 years now. They copy great, with no thick line....lines stay same thickness. I myself enlarged a set this way to 150 inches, to be built this winter. For a 120 inch Corsair, use the Robart Hell cat gear. The longer strut of the Hellcat gear is a perfect fit for this plane. You can get a canopy and cowl from Dwight Warner of California which will fit this size plane. I have a canopy this size from him. You could always build a wood cowl as I usually do. IT will cost you about 60 bucks to enlarge these plans at Kinko's. If I can help, I will enlarge them for you if you cover cost and shipping.

viper16 03-25-2002 05:20 AM

Re: Biggie Corsair plans

Quote:

Originally posted by F4u5
I would take Ziroli's plans to Kinko's and have them enlarge the plans 29 percent, which will give you a 119 inch span. I assure you it will be 120 inch when you are done building it. I have been enlarging plans this way for 4 years now. They copy great, with no thick line....lines stay same thickness. I myself enlarged a set this way to 150 inches, to be built this winter. For a 120 inch Corsair, use the Robart Hell cat gear. The longer strut of the Hellcat gear is a perfect fit for this plane. You can get a canopy and cowl from Dwight Warner of California which will fit this size plane. I have a canopy this size from him. You could always build a wood cowl as I usually do. IT will cost you about 60 bucks to enlarge these plans at Kinko's. If I can help, I will enlarge them for you if you cover cost and shipping.

Jeff, is it possible for Kinko's to copy @ 23.7 %? That would get the size I am wanting,just over 115". I would gladly pay the actual cost of enlargement and Shipping. Thanks Greg

Dutch Guy 03-25-2002 01:56 PM

Bud Nosen Corsair 108" all wood for those who like that (me!!)

http://aaind.com/catalog/template.asp?ID=108

The Dutch Guy

aka

blkbird 03-25-2002 06:54 PM

Hello gents,

FYI:
The name of the British company making the 1/3 scale birds was "The Aicraft Factory". Their Corsair looked nice, but I don't know much about them. They had a link on Tower Hobbies, but it's no longer there.
AC
Fly man!!!!.....Fly!!!

F4u5 03-25-2002 08:13 PM

Greg...the kinkos' here only goes whole numbers, so you would go 23% or 24%, but not enough of a difference to matter. You ought to see a 10 foot corsair up close....man-o-man

viper16 03-25-2002 11:02 PM

Jeff, could you tell me what the cowl diameter is on the ziroli corsair "actual plan". That way I can get a better idea on what enlargement plan size I need. Thanks Greg

Slowpoke-RCU 03-27-2002 06:12 AM

I have a flying buddy that has a kit of this kind . I think it has 100+ wingspan . I know that the cowling is the size of a 5 gallon bucket . He might sell the kit , if talked to just right . The fuse is fiberglass and the gull part of the wing is already built with flaps and neat stuff in it .

F4u5 03-28-2002 10:54 PM

Greg...mine is 10 3/8 inch on the original Ziroli plans

geardaddy 03-29-2002 12:49 AM

The mold for the Warner 1/4 corsair is still in California. Guy in town has one and still flies well after 6 years or more with a 8.4 twin.

US185Damiani 03-29-2002 12:55 AM

Meister Scale has a really BIG Corsair Hank Likes Had one.
Otherwise the Ziroli Corsair Has a 93" WS

viper16 03-29-2002 01:57 AM

warner corsair

Quote:

Originally posted by jackumac
The mold for the Warner 1/4 corsair is still in California. Guy in town has one and still flies well after 6 years or more with a 8.4 twin.

jackumac,this warner corsair are there any pictures of this corsair,and is there a website for this company. So that I may take a closer look. Thanks

geardaddy 03-29-2002 02:10 AM

the warner website is still up but non responsive.
http://www.geocities.com/dw_air/
all i have now is a number of the guy who bought his molds. Can forward to you. juhl@mn.rr.com

Dutch Guy 03-29-2002 08:44 AM

Or you can just try this

click here: dw_air@yahoo.com.
or
209-586-7524
Mon.-Fri. 9-5

The Dutch Guy

aka

viper16 03-29-2002 12:25 PM

Jeff, What is the landing gear strut length on the original ziroli corsair plan. Thanks

geardaddy 03-29-2002 02:02 PM

Lets not get too excited about the Dwight website. He has some $$ of mine, sent it out in fall of 00 and have learned he skipped town to the big island to be a auto mechanic. Advise all parties to not send any cash to him. The big f4u mold is still in Cal if a guy can convince the owner to make one.

viper16 03-29-2002 11:10 PM

Looking @ the DW website,that corsair is smaller than I want,plus I want it built from plans. Thanks

geardaddy 03-29-2002 11:41 PM

That will be a big one. Enlarged Ziroli would be best plans to work with.

Gee Bee D 07-19-2003 01:18 AM

How would 139.5 " span do???
Enlarged Ziroli plans.

Al