Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Full Scale to RC Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Full Scale to RC Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
airplaneclem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Scale to RC Conversion

Hello, everyone. I was interested in a J-3 cub, and being a full- scale pilot, i decided to purchase one. now im looking at replacing it with a 182, but instead i thought there would be a way to convert it into an RCmodel. This means finding MASSIVEservos to drop into the wings, or to find a way to mountservos to control the control stick. i dont need to worry about throttle or rudder because i have all of that, but i do need servos that put out, mmm, about fifteen to twenty pounds of force. I was hoping someone could help.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:51 PM
FLYINMIKE-RCU
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Full Scale to RC Conversion

Might Check These Out. I Believe They Have Ample Torque.

http://www.servosystems.com/thomson_12vdc_actuators.htm
Old 10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Why? Please be careful where you fly it. One mistake by this aircraft and the FAA will have the ammo they need to control the rest of us.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM
airplaneclem

ooh, yeah your right. i guess i'll fly it as a UAV, or just not at all. i could sit in the cock pit and use the transmitter, or i'll put cameras on it and use the handheld radio i used to use in the cub. but your right, one mistake and the FAA will have my butt. thanks for the heads up, i'll do some research. it would be sad to build the thing and then not be able to fly it. and just because it'd be a fun thing to do. i've never heard of a full scale RC plane, have you?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Yes I have heard of full scale R/C planes. The Culver Cadet being the first up to and including F-100 jets by the Air Force for target practice. Just enjoy the J-3 as intended, low and slow and enjoy the benefit of being able to fly your own plane. Most R/Cers would give all their models for one chance to own and fly your plane.

I was contacted by the Los Angeles FSDO about R/C traffic in the Torrance pattern and again about the Madera incident of a man trying to sabotage race planes at an airport. The FAA only needs "Cause" to support a "Notice of Proposed Rule Making" concerning our models. It's already close.

You might try it at the Joe Nall field as it's uncontrolled and sort of remote. You might think it's funny and some of your reply sounded trite but we will all rue the day we have to answer to the FAA to fly our models. I don't intend to continue replying as this needs as little exposure as possible. Yes, is it possible to do and it has already been done so you won't be the first. One thing I have to commend you on is you are talking about a certified aircraft and not trying to "model" a full scale plane with modeling techniques and monokote.

Please again, let it go and enjoy your Cub.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM
airplaneclem

Good point. I'll do so.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was interested in a J-3 cub, and being a full- scale pilot, i decided to purchase one. now im looking at replacing it with a 182, but instead i thought there would be a way to convert it into an RC model.
If you converted it to RC, it would fly exactly the same way as it would if flown by a pilot.

Same takeoff roll, landing set-up and roll out. Are you going to put a camera in the left seat so you can see the horizon?

That would be cool. You could follow the instrument panel right to the crash. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
KP.
My Feedback: (77)

You will get 100 points for the scale outline......[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Have a customer with a decent 73 182P he wants to sell off. Any interest in a swap for the cub?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 AM
airplaneclem

Nah, sorry. I've changed my mind about everything since this forum was posted. BUTi will hopefully be doing a giant scale (60%- 80%) airplane, and i'll run it by my local FAA before buying anything. I've decided to keep my cub because its the very plane i was taught most of my piloting skills in, and im now looking for a Turbo Charged, HighPerformance, or Turbo Prop aircraft. I'm looking into the Extra 330LT, but this isnt the place to talk about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, what is your RC experience? have you flown RC at all? If not, I might suggest something a little smaller than 60 t0 80 %. The AMA as well as the FAA might have to get involved in any large project such as 60%. Contact Mythbusters as they have RC controlled cars, buses, boats, and maybe planes by RC. Just a random thought for your safety.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Five years ago I framed up a 2/3 Cub for a guy locally and it flies fantastic. Can make another one, lots less than a full scale cub and plenty big. Pictures of it here post #41 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99..._2/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM
airplaneclem

Thanks for your concern Richard, and yes, I do have two years worth of INTENSE RC experience. Your thinking two years isn't alot, but I've got lots of 3D and Aerobatics under my belt, most of which were other people's planes, but still. I'll probably just stick to prebuilt Hangar 9's, maybe I'll get the UMX and 100cc Beasts, because this seems like an issue that I would have to talk over with the AMA and FAA, and being the lazy bum that I am, I don't feel like doing that. I might use those actuators for something, though.