Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

GTM Fokker D8

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Phantomfan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTM Fokker D8

Hi there 1/4 scalers! This my first 1/4 effort and understandably, I'm excited. (The kit has not even arrived yet !!)

Can someone please tell me whether I will need special (larger) servos for the control surfaces ? I know I can get away with astd servo for the throttle but the others I'm not sure.
Thanks

Paul
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default RE: GTM Fokker D8

The 1/4 scale D-VIII is not a pattern plane or a 3D monster. It will fly just fine on standard 45in.oz. torque servos. The G-23 or G-26 with the Xoar WWI simitar 18X6 prop are great engines for this bird. You should get a lifetime of enjoyment from the Fokker D-VIII. They dont like alot of wind and crosswinds can be very hairy. Good luck with it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Augie11

The Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker D. VIII recommends minimum 60 oz. torque servos on all surfaces (not the throttle).
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Phantomfan

Thanks Augie :-)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Augie11

My pleasure. Good luck with your new bird Paul. I think you'll enjoy the build. They have a unique look on the ground and particularly in the air.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
coljg117
My Feedback: (6)

Does anyone have info (photos) of Glenn Torrence's strut fixtures for the D VIII? I understand he uses aluminum struts and a steel mounting plate.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Vampire

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Paul,

I purchased a custom built BUSA D-VIII a few years back and is powered with G23 and was fitted with std. 50 in/oz. (non-digital) servos. It has several years of scale flying on it without issue. Had I built the model, I would have followed the mfr.'s recomendation for use of 60 in/oz. servos primarly becasue they tested their design in this manner, had no issues and that is what they will then recommend so that the customers can expect the same positive end results. The cost difference today is insignificant....go with the 60 in/oz. Don't need digitals, analog servos will be fine.

Your GTM D-VIII will likely be a bit more scale in nature but the flying qualities should be very similar.

As mentioned earlier, crosswind landings require a bit more attention to approach speed but is quite managable.

Enjoy.

Kerry S.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 AM
capnduane

I have two 1/4 Fokker DVIII, one I scratch built and a Balsa USA rebuild from a crash. They are fabric covered and painted. They both weigh in at 18-19lbs. Had to add 4.5lbs of nose weight on both. One has a old G23, and the other has a new G26I. I recomend the G26 as a good place to start. I beleive the GT has a recessed firewall, so engine choice might include a Quadra 35, which would give nose weight and more power? They both fly great. Landings need to be flown in and gentle, and both mine do a "Fokker loop" at the end of the roll out. Good luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48564.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1796327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94734.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1796328