Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Waco Decision made! More help needed please.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Waco Decision made! More help needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM
A20havoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waco Decision made! More help needed please.

Hello,

I have been convinced after my last post and 12 hours researching on the web that the Waco is the way to go for my Winter Project.

It's either going to be the AMR/Genesis 40% Waco or the Peter Barth 40% Waco but I dont know which?

So, if I may, I have some more questions before I part with my hard earned cash.

1. If I was to go with the AMR 40% Waco, I would go with the DLE 222 Quad Cyl engine, is this a good engine in general as AMR seem to be doing it at a very good price with their Waco kit?

2. Is there a better engine to go for with this kit other than a radial which I cannot afford yet?

3. Would this engine go with the Barth Waco? Or is there another engine that is better for this model?

4. Both the Waco's are of 40% Scale yet have two totally different wingspan/fuselage sizes, why?

5. Do both the kits show how to install the forward cockpit in the construction process?

6. I havent decided yet as to which radio im going to use, Futaba or HiTech, but on the servo side of things, which size and model of servos would you use in both these models?

7. Is the Century Jet undercarraige for the AMR Kit worth the extra money? or is the supplied gear any good for scale?

8. Whats the tail wheel assembly like in the basic kits? Or, again, should I go with the Century Jet unit?

9. As I said before, I am really into going the 'whole hog' with my true scale detailing, so which kit is best for this and why?

10. Why such a price difference between the two kits of reasonably the same size?

11. Are there any construction differences between the two kits, as the AMR kit seems to be all jig built and very nicely cut parts, full hardware package, etc, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, but I dont fancy parting with my money and getting a kit and thinking that I wished I had got the other instead, so your help is invaluable!

Any other information you can add to the above would be most gratefully appreciated, as I want to get either kit ordered on Monday.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Waco Decision made! More help needed please.

Hi, I have built the Barth Waco 1/3 scale. In my opine the Barth is much more a builders kit then the Genesis. The Genesis kit is a very very good kit by all means. It is much easier to construct than the Barth. The Barth kit is more scale in it's design than the Genesis. So now I will focus on what I know, the Barth kit. First of all it is a very good kit as far as the materials go. The ailerons are all pre-made for you with the corrugated surfaces built in. The fiberglass cowl is a work of art in it self. Much detail on it that would be super time consuming to try to replicate. All fiberglass parts are of the highest quality as is the rest of the parts. It comes with all the turnbuckles and high quality rigging wire need to finish the kit. The tailwheel bracket is just a great piece of work and a real time saver for the builder. My only sore point of the kit is the landing gear...it is a bit of a job to get right and takes a lot of time to finish up correctly. All the hardware ( screws, bolts nuts are furnished in the kit .) and again are top rate parts.

I first flew mine with a RCS 215 radial engine. Not much to say other than it is a very very costly engine to get. But power is off the charts for this plane. Easy to start and runs real good. It is a heavy engine but that does not affect the model at all. And nothing sounds as good as this engine. I am now going to re-place the engine with a 120cc 3W that I have. this should lighten up the plane by about 6 pounds and that just means a better flying model. I sold the RCS due to money needs and I wish I had not but it is what it is. The kit is designed for a 120cc and up engine. Anything in that size and up will fly her with no concerns as to power...2 strokes in this size produce as much and more power than the RCS 215 and are a very good choice if you don't want to dump $3500 for the big radials. Overall the size of the two molds is about the same. I see in your post that you think they are different, well Genesis has a 40% and a 33% and Barth has a 33% and a 25% so make sure you are looking at the correct sizes when comparing
If you are going to scale out either of the kits I think the Barth would be a little better choice but both can be done up really good if you take the time. The cost is about the same the last time I looked so it is just a matter of what you like.

Peter Barth the designer is a Rc pilot as well as a engineer working on the Eurofighter project. He will answer most any question for you via e-mail. The only thing to remember is he is always traveling between Germany and Spain so he is sometimes a bit late in answering e-mails but he does do it. His english is pretty good much better than my German I'll tell you.
Anyhow if you get this kit and have any questions let me know.
Now if there is somebody out there that can help you out with a more detailed observation of the Genesis kit you will be on your way.

Have fun in your build!!! and remember...nothing looks better than a Waco and either of these kits fly just great.