Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great planes yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Fs one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great planes yak 54

Would like to know if any of you are flying great planes yak 54.f you are how do like quality of kit.What engine are you using.How does it handle.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
rcpilot_971
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Great planes yak 54

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
rebranger

I have a question..I have several Carl Goldberg Great Planes 67" Yaks, bought 6, 3 yrs ago, when Tower discontinued them. Have 2 flying with Super Tigre 90's in them and they fly very well. Not enough power for extreme 3D, but the I'm not in to that. I changed the landing gear out to Carbon fiber, which  reduces landing bounce (makes 'em stick) & attached with break away nylon # 6 screws which saves the plane on dead sticks. 

My question is: Has anybody ever taken the wings from the next model size up, GP made a 77" 81" wing span model, and put on the 67" fuse?

The reason I ask is that I recently bought what I thought was a 67" CG GP Yak at the Perry swap meet. Got it home & started building it & the wings have two servo holes each; unlike the wings I have. After measuring, I figured out the guy had the wings off the bigger Yak on the smaller Yak!! He repositioned the mounting holes, etc & it looks good!! BUT, where's the Center of Gravity ???? The smaller Yak calls for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2", The larger calls for 6" 1/4. 

Looks like the guy had a 2 cycle on it (it had stand outs attached) so I put a SV 26 gasser on it. With the two 4.8 v bats up front & a 12 oz empty tank (rudder servo is in standard place in fuse, throttle servo on left (Not moved) forward, it balances about on the wing tube or about 5 3/4" to 6" back from the LE at the fuse.  Does this sound right? Would like ya'll input before I maiden it. 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i have this plane, been flying it for past 8 months. she has about 25 flights on her. i am using 2 rudder servos as per instructions. i am using two elevator servos in tail.
i am using an OS BGX 3500 (35 cc nitro) with a 32 ounce fuel tank.
prop is 20 x 8 and it turns about 7500 today.
The single fromeco Life battery is as far forward next to fuel tank.
have had some problems with this plane with regards to her flying style. when i KE, she tucks in to gear. i added mix for up elevator with rudder input. then today, with KE, better, still not straight, but i did have to give aileron input to try to keep her straight, OTW, with KE, she wants to try to roll back to upright.
also, when i apply rudder, she wants to roll more than yaw. and the rudder makes her violently yaw then roll.
looks funny, not really, i do not like it. still trying to tune her out.
then, other problem (two really) is the landing gear (they suck) and the canopy has 4 screws, but the blind nuts pull out from ply and they are recessed in, hard to remove at times.
OTW, she is a real fun plane to fly.