Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair landing question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Top-Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair landing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
rcpilot6969
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair landing question

Does anybody know the secret of wheel landing the Top-Flite giant Corsair. I've been flying aerobatic planes and scale warbirds for over 20 years and and can't seem to be able to get this Corsair on the ground without it bouncing two or three times. I have an Aeroworks P-51 and a Top-Flite giant P-47 and don't have a problem with either with wheel landings. Just wondering if anybody out there knows the answer.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top-Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair landing question

I can only tell you what I witnessed many years back. A guy had a .60 sized TF P-51 with the same problem. The old instructor told him to take the springs out of the retracts and put in wood dowels. He did it, and the next weekend didnt have any more problems with bounce. I dont know why it worked, just that it did. Take this info with a grain of salt, I'm just passing on what I saw. I know from my own experience that my wire strut retracts dont bounce near as much as my oleo's. I never gave it much thought until your post.
Edwin
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
rcpilot6969

Thanks for the reply Edwin. I'm ready to try anything. I think I'll try shimming the retract springs to make them stiffer and see what happens.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Edwin

What kind of gear is it, Robart? I have a distant future meister corsair project I'm collecting parts and equipment for and have Robart 150's. How much does your plane weigh? I wonder sometimes if the Robarts are strong enough even though many here and on RCSB have said there are.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
rcpilot6969

The retracts are Robart #148. They seem strong enough because after all the bouncing they seem to be holding up well. The plane weighs 25#.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Edwin

A buddy of mine built the TF 1/5 corsair and put a lot of detail in it. Fully animated cockpit. He ran a separate micro receiver and servos to it to move the pilots head with the ailerons and stick with ailerons and elevator. Pretty cool, but it put the plane weight at 33lbs. I saw the results of a hard landing that bent the 148 struts back so far they pulled out of the upper struts.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM
rcpilot6969

I don't think the 148s were meant to support 33# even without the hard landing.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3109744/tm.htm

It's quite old but still active with a bunch of guys who go all the way from newbies to folks who could compete in Scale Masters and do quite well. Friendly bunch and if you cannot find an answer in the thread, just ask.

On another note; there is a new thread asking about the comparison of the TF 1/5 Mustang vs. the Aeroworks. I've been watching it as I'm seriously considering the Aeroworks but so far I've not seen anyone post on that thread about the Aeroworks i.e. how it fly's, assembly, scale deviations etc. Would you care to comment?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10129553/tm.htm
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
rcpilot6969

Let me start this reply by saying the opinions expressed here are mine alone and are not meant to desparage Aeroworks in any way. I've purchased various kits and ARFs from them and have been more than happy with their service and willingness to help solve any situation that might happen. That being said, the Mustang flys great, goes together easily and is scale enough for my tastes. The included retracts leave quite a bit to be desired. On the fourth flight after landing and while rolling out, the locking pin on the right retract twisted out of the trunnion and dropped the right wing onto the ground costing me an expensive carbon prop and scuffing the right wingtip up pretty good. Aeroworks was very on top of things and sent replacement upgraded trunnions. I installed the replacements but bought a set of Sierra Giant Scale retracts and replaced the stock units. I figured the Mustang was to nice a plane to trust to the original units. The Sierras had to have some modifications but it wasn't that complicated. The only other thing I changed was to add a second Jet Legends air tank beside the original. I was only getting about three cycles after pumping up the tank to 110 lbs. If the retracts get to slow, the inner doors will close before the retract gets closed. The extra volume of the second tank solved the problem.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Rcpilot6969

About your original ? bounce. My first bird I had a bit of the same thing (lost do to engine failure) on my current bird I moved the C/G fwd a bit and just fly final at about 1/8 throtle down to about a foot off the ground and pull the power to idle, as a frind of mine said land it like a butter fly with sore feet.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
rigger mike

The secret is to land with the radio set at low rates and some expo. I had a heck of time landing mine also, bouncing it in every time. It got to the point where I dreaded flying it. I decided to try a full flap landing with elevator set at low rates as per the instruction manual and now I can grease them in every time. After touchdown the speed bleeds off the tail will come down and it looks great. The Robart retracts have worked great.