Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 SU-26 SE 85 CC

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New Hangar 9 SU-26 SE 85 CC

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Hangar 9 SU-26 SE 85 CC

I am considering purchasing a new H9 SU 85cc model. I am concerned about a lot of vibrating that is being talked about on the DA85 and possibly the Evolution 80GX, although the 80GX seems to be a little less than the DA 85 from what I have read on forums.

Anyway, to avoid the vibration I wanted to know thoughts on installing a DA 100 or DA 120 (twin) on this bird instead. Here is the weight stats I have gotten from the websites (engine only):

DA 85 4.3 lbs.
Evoluton 80GX 4.9 lbs.
DA 100 5.6 lbs.
DA 120 4.95 lbs.

I am only on my third gas plane and none this big yet. Take money out of the mix, just based on pure weight, if I want a smoother running engine why wouldnt I install a DA120. I know its overkill, probably the DA85 is overkill too but I could put a smooth running 120 in there for the same weight of the Evolution 80 the recommended engine. I wouldnt have glue joints coming undone and srews backing out all the time. I would rather invest in a 120 vs. an 85 because I think down the road I will be happier and get more long term use out of the 120. There could be a cowl fit problem or a prop clearance problem though I understand.

Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
hanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 SU-26 SE 85 CC

I would think it would be safe to assume that it will lay an egg like the majority of H9 stuff
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Based on my own personal experience with Hanger 9 planes (35% Extra) i would expect to be very pleased with this plane. While I'd rather buy it without servos it is a beautiful plane and Mike M says it's his best design yet- if it's better than the 260 that is saying something.

With regard to your question- I have heard that there are folks putting 100cc+ engines in this plane and are happy with them. You could probably get a great deal on a second hand DA 100 now that the 120 is out.

I personally wouldn't have an issue putting one of the recommended engines in- I have seen the 85 run and it didn't seem to shake too bad- but I don't own one so maybe long term you feel the affects. While it's also a single and has no real track record yet, tou might also take a look at the new ZDZ Super 90- supposed to have an introductory price of under $600 and should be awesome.

Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 AM
gade600sdi

Hanko, I disagree also with you and your non useful comment. I own ten hangar 9 planes and havent seen one egg laid yet. But this is not the subject of this forum, the question is about which engine would be the best for this new plane.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM
hanko

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Hanko, I disagree also with you and your non useful comment. I own ten hangar 9 planes and havent seen one egg laid yet. But this is not the subject of this forum, the question is about which engine would be the best for this new plane.

Yep your right. I guess I didnt read the post close enough. D&B by ridge machine has a 83cc (5.1 cu i) that will fit perfectly with out cutting the sides of the cowl out. i have one in a 33%TOC yak. smooth, but expensve. check out the website. D&B engines.com.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 AM
hanko

Or look for a 3w 80 twin. How that for being usefull?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:10 PM
gade600sdi

Yes, there is a 3W twin? Thanks, didnt know that will look that up.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmm....

Kind of a question of what you want here?

While 3W builds some great engines and have been around for quite awhile, they do have a couple of issues to think about and then there's the argument of a twin cylinder 80cc engine vs. a single cylinder; the twin will not put out the same amount of power as the single and that's just physics but it will be smoother. A twin will also weigh more than a single and in the case of the 3W a bunch more as if there is one commonly mentioned issue with 3W it's weight especially with the older design engines. Then there's the whole ignition issue which seems to be pretty much worked out with the new stuff but they require either unregulated Li-Po/Li-Ion or 6 cell NiMH batteries for the required voltage. Oh, you gotta be careful how they are mounted as well since they are susceptable to heat build up and consequent failure.

So if you're going twin I'd make sure it's in the 100cc class at least. The DA-120 would be WAY overkill here and it won't fit as well as a 100 since it is wider from sparkplug to sparkplug than the 100's even though it is lighter than the 100's. I have one of those mounted in a 28lb. 2.6 Comp-Arf Extra and it hauls that model around like a foamie. Lots of guys around here use DA-100's in stuff designed for 80cc engines like all the H9 33% size models with good results but we have to over power 'em up here where it's 4500' ASL. One engine you might consider and I've not seen it mentioned is the DLE-111. Still overkill but not like the DA-120, same physical size as the DA-100 and they may even fit the cowl without cutouts for the sparkplugs. I really think the DA-100 would be a good choice but it is more money than the DLE. I've got one of the H9 33% size Edges with a ZDZ-100 in it and that's a great combination up here as well with that engine being a pound lighter than either the DA or DLE 100's. The new ZDZ-90 single may be a real horse but it's not out yet and I'll wait 'till I see user reports to decide on that engine. The DA-85 does shake a bit more than a ZDZ-80RV-J (Super) but not a lot, the 3W 80cc single (sorry but I can't remember the suffix letters) may be a good choice and from what I've seen of the Evolution engines around here I would not choose to buy one of those and they also share the ignition voltage requirements of the 3W engines.

Sorry 'bout the rambling post but maybe it'll give you a couple of things to check out and consider.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
gade600sdi

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Hmm....

Kind of a question of what you want here?

While 3W builds some great engines and have been around for quite awhile, they do have a couple of issues to think about and then there's the argument of a twin cylinder 80cc engine vs. a single cylinder; the twin will not put out the same amount of power as the single and that's just physics but it will be smoother. A twin will also weigh more than a single and in the case of the 3W a bunch more as if there is one commonly mentioned issue with 3W it's weight especially with the older design engines. Then there's the whole ignition issue which seems to be pretty much worked out with the new stuff but they require either unregulated Li-Po/Li-Ion or 6 cell NiMH batteries for the required voltage. Oh, you gotta be careful how they are mounted as well since they are susceptable to heat build up and consequent failure.

So if you're going twin I'd make sure it's in the 100cc class at least. The DA-120 would be WAY overkill here and it won't fit as well as a 100 since it is wider from sparkplug to sparkplug than the 100's even though it is lighter than the 100's. I have one of those mounted in a 28lb. 2.6 Comp-Arf Extra and it hauls that model around like a foamie. Lots of guys around here use DA-100's in stuff designed for 80cc engines like all the H9 33% size models with good results but we have to over power 'em up here where it's 4500' ASL. One engine you might consider and I've not seen it mentioned is the DLE-111. Still overkill but not like the DA-120, same physical size as the DA-100 and they may even fit the cowl without cutouts for the sparkplugs. I really think the DA-100 would be a good choice but it is more money than the DLE. I've got one of the H9 33% size Edges with a ZDZ-100 in it and that's a great combination up here as well with that engine being a pound lighter than either the DA or DLE 100's. The new ZDZ-90 single may be a real horse but it's not out yet and I'll wait 'till I see user reports to decide on that engine. The DA-85 does shake a bit more than a ZDZ-80RV-J (Super) but not a lot, the 3W 80cc single (sorry but I can't remember the suffix letters) may be a good choice and from what I've seen of the Evolution engines around here I would not choose to buy one of those and they also share the ignition voltage requirements of the 3W engines.

Sorry 'bout the rambling post but maybe it'll give you a couple of things to check out and consider.
Zeeb, all good choices, but can you elaborate in more detail about the comment on the Evolution 80 engine. Are you not fond of it because it uses a lot of volts, or is it because it takes too much capacity, or both? Also, how do those engines perform (the 80GX vs. the DA85) as far as the vibrating and shaking. Which one vibrates more?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Zeeb, all good choices, but can you elaborate in more detail about the comment on the Evolution 80 engine. Are you not fond of it because it uses a lot of volts, or is it because it takes too much capacity, or both? Also, how do those engines perform (the 80GX vs. the DA85) as far as the vibrating and shaking. Which one vibrates more?
I'm getting old enough that unnecessary complications added to my models is not something I want to do anymore and having to run a different type battery for the ignition than what the model rx/servos use is just not something I'm going to do. You start getting several (or more) models around and you think; I can remember what is where and which charger settings to use for each model, but then they pretty much sit over the winter and when you get 'em out next spring or even one you've not flow for some time and I find myself trying to remember what's got what? I do use a P-Touch to label things these days which helps and actually looks kind of nifty but I want all my batteries the same these days. Since I run A123 batteries, they won't suffice for either the 3W or Evolution ignitions.

As for the Evolution 80; haven't actually seen one of those so I cannot comment on how much it shakes vs. the DA or ZDZ, but I've seen quite a few 58's and 116's around here and without exception those guys have had issues with those engines. I've never owned one and I'm sure there are guys who will swear by them but having seen them used by others around here and the problems I've seen, well I just wouldn't go there.....
Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
william-RCU
My Feedback: (58)

I have no problem with hanger 9, great customer service top notch quality in fact I bought one of the 3.1 sukhoi's due out in feb. I will definatly put a dle170 in it. I would put a dle 111 in yours or do not be afraid of a single 3w75 or 3w85 they work great in that size range 97" wing span. Dont be negative on a single they do not viabrate enough to cause any problems.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 PM
jbarnes

I've got a DA85. Its a shaker. Runs fine but not sure I'd go for another large single. I've got a couple of DLE111's and they run great. Wouldnt' hesitate to buy the DLE. Jerry.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
william-RCU
My Feedback: (58)

hmm good to know only have 1 da its a 50cc nib. my dle's dont shake and my 3w's dont shake at all very smooth. Thinking of selling my da and just sticking with 3w and dle's very happy with them we have a small club here lots of dle's and they all run great and strong. 2 guy's have zdz's and we take turns starting them seem hard to start but smooth when running.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
jbarnes

Ya, my DA50's and DLE55's don't shake but that 85 at a low idle is excessive IMO. But, thats the largest single I've ever purchased so maybe all of them do that. I sent iit in to DA for service this year and they replaced some parts but haven't noticed a significant improvement in the low idle shake. Jerry.