Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Old 03-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know of a smaller kit of the T-50?

Like 55" to 62" or there about.

Charles
Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 AM
TCampbell

Park Scale Models offers a 55" version here

It's designed for electric and the build thread is on the other site here.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:06 PM
rhsmrt50

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

.....Try "Brodak distributors" .....48" Sky Kings Songbird .....designed by the well known Pat Tritle of Dumas models...........Three sheets, very well designed model for electric power.......this is a lazer cut kit.........also, Thomas Designs 42" 1 to 1 set of plans....505 Wildflower. Burnsville, MN. 55306..
I have them both......you wont be disappointed.........Rich.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:44 AM
rhsmrt50

Hello......this is Rich........sorry for the long absence, had problems but I'am back to my project.........any of you guys still out there?....
I'am ready to continue the build...........have lots of new info to share........and more photos........hope to hear from you.......Rich.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:43 AM
zipman
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back Rich. Looking forward to your updates. Let the fun continue.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Rich...Glad to see you are back and building again! I was in Mesa AZ on business a couple weeks ago and had the chance to stop by the Commerative Air Force Museum...home of "Ole #12". You might recall this is the Bobcat I had the chance to fly for a few minutes several years ago...brought back some great memories!

So even though my "Songbird" is finished, I'm still interested in watching your progress...so let's keep this thread going!
M
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_110950_resized.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2156367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_111201_resized.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2156368  
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 AM
rhsmrt50

Wow!!!.......good to hear from you Stan.......thanks for the quick reply..........have you made any progress on your project!...........let us know........I will be posting new info and photos soon......so, stay tuned.

Rich.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:36 AM
rhsmrt50

"MURPHEY"..........Great to hear from you,,,,,,,,,,,the photos of you and "ole #12" looks fantastic!......
Stan!!........Murpheys back too!........we have a new start to this old thread.......I will be putting together a collection of new photos and the progress I have made up to now..........stay tuned!
So good to have you guys back.............Rich.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Dash7ATP

Hey Rich,

It sounds like you took my advice and bought the Brodak T-50 kit. Have you built it yet? If so, why not post a few photos. Maybe you can also make a few dummy engines for it!

I look forward to follow your progress on your T-50 build.

Joe
Old 04-09-2016, 09:59 AM
rhsmrt50

Hello Joe!.......good to hear from you!.........yes, I do have the kit, but have no immediate plans to start on it......need to pick up where I left off on the big one.........my shop is a total mess right now, so I have been concentrating on re-organizing it..........I now have windows 7 instead of the ole XP, no longer being supported by Microsoft............I am still trying to learn the difference between the two, especially down loading pic's to our site.........in the meantime, I will continue to post what I have learned up to date.......stay posted, and thanks so much.....................Rich.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 AM
rhsmrt50

......Ok.......This is a test to see if I still remember how to attach a photo.........so, here go'es.........hold on to your hats!!!!

Name:	rcu-1.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2156537  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 AM
rhsmrt50

.......Not bad for a first try..........sort of broke up the text a bit...........maybe I should add the text after inserting the photo........
What do you think?..................................Rich.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:47 PM
rhsmrt50

........Well, as soon as the shop is back in order I will pick up on where I left off on the build.........in the mean time I have been doing a lot of research on this aircraft........I don't seem to know where to draw the line when it comes to the amount of detail I spend on my models.
Most of the guys I listen to........and pick their brain ....so to speak........have a very vast knowledge of material and techniques that I highly value.......They tell me that I may never finish the model because I spend too much time trying to get every thing just perfect....this is true.
.......I do love the research, this is a part of the enjoyment I get along with the build.........so, I will start out ahead of myself and talk about color schemes for the AAF official interior colors and types of material used for such things as to the type and color of the carpet,headliner, side panels and seat covering material..........This will be good info for your reference even if you do not intent take it that far...............Rich.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
rhsmrt50

..........Well.......now this is not a very good way for an ole T-50 to wind up.........an airboat????..............bad.
Rich.

Name:	bobcat_airboat.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2157046  
Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, are you still able to make the dummy engines?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 PM
rhsmrt50

Hi Jeff!!!.........very good to hear from you.............Yes, I still have the molds.......they will be the 14 cylinders, crankcase, the gear case,which is the front part of the crankcase........and if you wish, the push rod tubes for the rocker boxes..........these are just 1/8 in alum tubing........so, you could make them yourself.......also, the opening in the gear case housing for the type engine you will be using can be adjusted by the end cap that also comes with the set..............How far along are you with your Bobcat?.......Rich.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM
JeffH

Mine is covered and rib taped. I need to redo the cloth interior since I do not like the way it came out. Other than that, it could be ready in a month or so of good hard work.

Let me know how to pay you for the engines and I will do so ASAP.
Thanks, and good to see you back! I am hoping that Tim Cardin does well with his this year at TopGun.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM
rhsmrt50

"WOW".......that"s great to hear about Tim's T-50 going to "TOY GUN".........I"am still a ways off from finishing mine........Your mention of the cloth interior has been one of the main issues I have been confronted with for quite a while.......I have finally found out what the true colors of the interior......and the type of fabrics that were really installed on the UC-78..........remember, I am modeling mine as close to the original UC-78 as delivered to the AAF from Cessna.........That will be one of my subjects in future wright-ups .........to answer your question about the cost of supplying the parts for your dummy engine..........as I told Murphy and Joe, I will charge only the cost of material and shipping.........I already have the molds........so, the cost of the resin to cast all of the parts for the engine will be about five dollars, and the shipping cost will be about $7.15............let me know, in the mean time, I will locate the molds, Resin etc.......

Rich.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Hello Bobcat Admirers, a bit rusty but still at it. Rich, while you are looking for the resin and molds, would you consider making another set of the engines for me also. Will certainly make it worth your effort having cut the molds, your time, and your craftsmanship. Many thanks. Do you have a Paypal account, if not, will send you a US Postal Money Order to cover costs and shipping. Could you use my email account to reply - [email protected] Again, thanks. Chic
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
rhsmrt50

"Hello Chic".......good to hear from you, wow!......it's been a while...........I will be glad too.........I've got the molds together, found the resin, not sure if the shelf life has expired, but will test before using.........need to set up my casting table and the scale and all of the other equipment before casting.........The resin only has a 90 second working time, so, every thing has to ready at the time of the pouring.......what I hate about this product is that once you combine the two parts it takes about 30 seconds to totally blend it, which only gives me 60 seconds to pour it............so, that means that I can cast only two cylinders at a time......or two crankcases , or two gear cases.........I could use one of their other resins called Clear Water.......which is clear........but, it takes about 15 min to cure which is too long...........especially if you have only two cylinder molds and you need to cast seven per engine.........What I really need to do is make five more molds of the cylinders and use the clearwater........then, the 15 min time to cure will be just right..........otherwise, it will be a slow process............in fact, that's what I will do!!!...........that way if I have other request I can speed up the process..........sound good to you?.......................Rich.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
JeffH

Sounds good to me,no rush. I am good with whatever works for you.
I would like three engines just in case I ever have an "incident" with one.
I can paypal you or you money order.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
rhsmrt50

Thanks Jeff!........you guys inspire me to keep on sharing what i have learned about this wonderful aircraft!!!........it is one of the forgotten classic wood and fabric airplanes built in WW-2........in fact, at that time it was the largest wood and fabric covered plane of that size built for the military......with two engines and a 42 foot cantilever wing........."all wood"........can you imagine that?......enough of history for now.
Back to the subject of engine casting..........Chic, you need two engines..........and Jeff, you need two engines and extra parts as back-ups.........right?...........here's my plan to get started.........I will start casting with the two molds that I made for my engine using the opaque resin......in the mean time, I will cast 5 more molds of the cylinders from the original blank that I used to build the two molds that i used for my two engines........also the engines for Murphy's "SONG BIRD".........also....Dash7ATP from the Waco Brotherhood.......a good friend and a contributor to this thread.........thanks Joe for your input.......so, stay tuned while I get my act together again, it's been a while, and we have a lot of ground to cover............so, guys, I have my work cut out for me!.........let the fun begin...........Rich.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:53 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Great being back alive, if you only knew. Had an IMAC airplane practically take three fingers off my right hand. Couple of surgeries later, I'm starting to get well on my feet. Your plan and effort sounds wonderful to me also. I'll do whatever you wish. I will also ask for three engines just like JeffH. Just let me know how much and where to send it. Smile. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 04-29-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 PM
rhsmrt50

.........Guess what Chic..........last year, one day after my birthday, Sept 17th, while testing a OS 60 on the a Vought F4U........it got away from me and almost severed my right thumb.........lucky the prop was made of wood and shattered........if it had been carbon fiber........I would have lost the thumb..........it severed all of the tendons, blood veins, and worst of all, the nerves........with surgery they restored all but the nerves, which leaves me with a partly num thumb........makes it very difficult to work with very small parts........so, I have been training my left hand to take over that task.........and seems to be coming along at a slow pace.......thanks for that information Chic, we all have a story that brings us closer together as a family of model builders.........I mean "REAL" model builders.........there is not many of us left...........it is now buy and fly........the ARF, the Drone or what ever they coin it these days..........I even find it difficult to buy building material from my favorite hobby shop....there is no demand for the raw materials that we need to scratch build........very sad I must say...........Sorry, i did not mean to get on my soap box..........Rich.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 PM
JeffH

Rich, who made you wheels? They are gorgeous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.