Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Blueprints to wood

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Leggtech69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blueprints to wood

I am starting to scratch build a 96" Ziroli P-51, what is the prefered method of transfering the forms and wing ribs to the wood? Rubber cement, Spray 77? any help greatly appriciated. Also has anyone scanded the individual peices into their computers for future repairs? Thanks
Scott Medina
Crescent Oklahoma
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Blueprints to wood

Here's my way when I build from plans, everybody winds up with their preferred method:

I trace the parts onto tracing paper, and then cut them out. I'll then either make thin aluminum templates or wood templates if I have to make a bunch of the same part. If you're making several of the same part, you can stack the pieces of wood together and glue the paper part and then use a bandsaw or good scroll saw to cut them out. Sand to final outline by hand or on a belt/disc sander.

To glue the parts together, use 3M's #75 repositionable spray adhesive. This is also used to stick the paper down onto the wood so that you can cut out the part. Naphtha will remove the adhesive when you're done. Naphtha is available as either Coleman fuel or Ronson lighter fluid. Either will do the job.

Check the parts against the plans. When building, make sure everything lines up. Many times, fuselage bulkheads will not be quite symmetrical in older hand-drawn plans. You'll need to measure and add/subtract shims to get the outlines perfect. It's all a bit of the "cut, fit, and swear" method for building the model.

The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the process.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just cut the plan into pieces and use my 4 year olds supply of Elmer's Glue sticks. Cheap and effective. It will also adhere wood to wood for multiples like wing ribs. It's a good idea to remove the paper and separate the parts as soon as they're cut to avoid problems.

I always make a two additional copies of the plans at kinkos as well. One to cut, one to build on and one to keep pristine.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i did was make templates for all the ribs , i think i used 1/4 inch aspen , from h depot .
that way you wont ruin alot of good balsa. and DONT CUT UP YOUR ORIGINAL PLANS , that way you can go back and use the original for reference.

make copies of the parts you want to cut .

the biggest thing is TIME , it takes alot of it, i went this rout on a c a p dauntless , although it came out pretty nice, i'll never do it again.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Leggtech69

Thanks guys for the responses, I have heard of thiese methods and I think this is the way I wil be proceding, I reasontly heard of something you spray on the blueprint ,or copy of the blue print, turn it face down on the wood and take a clothes iron and heat transfer the image onto the wood. Does anyone know what the "spray" item would be, Water, hairspray? any ideas? thanks again.

Scott

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

I have made a copy of the parts that I am making on a standard copying machine( you might have to make two to get all of them) put them face down on the wood then run the iron over it and it will transfer the ink onto the wood. Todd
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made a copy of the parts that I am making on a standard copying machine( you might have to make two to get all of them) put them face down on the wood then run the iron over it and it will transfer the ink onto the wood.
I've done the same thing and it works very well. And I always make an extra copy of the plans to build from. The original gets put away for future use if needed.

FB
Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Leggtech69

so you dont need to spray anything on the paper or even dampen it?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. Just hold in place as you iron.

FB
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Leggtech69

Thanks to all who replied, i will be experamenting with all method to find what fits my likeing, cant wait to actually start building this giant bird!
Scott
Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, any method that allows you to accurately copy the parts from the plans to the wood is the "right" one, as long as it's comfortable for you to use. I've even put carbon paper between the plans and the wood and traced the part directly onto the wood. That works, too. I then final-sand the part and compare it to the plans.

It all depends upon how many copies of that part you need, and what tools you have available. Tracing is one for a one-off part, but a good wood, metal, or plastic template is a good idea for the many same-size wing ribs you need when you build that large wing with a rectangular planform.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Leggtech69

Well I tried the "ironing" method several different ways, different temps, different copiers, and to no avail. IT DOES NOT WORK for me. All i could get the iron to do is burn paper. I will be making copies and using 3m 75 repositioning spray adhesive. thanks for all the suggestion though.

Scott

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
mustang512

HEY LEGGTECH,

Lay your plans face down on the wood you want to transfer the blueprint to. Then spray the back of the plans with Zip kicker until the area is moist, this may take a little bit of trial and error, and then run your iron over the wet zip kicker pushing down moderately. Once the zip kicker has evaporated / heated away, just pull your plans up and you will have a reverse image of the part transferred onto the wood you wanted. The only problem with doing this is that the new ink copiers are so good now that there is not a lot of excess ink that is transferred. In the old days, and I have been doing this for over 20 years, the ink would just transfer very easily.

I have done this on a lot of plans and just finished a "Don Smith" Convair 440, using the method I told you about. Good Luck.

Mustang
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68308.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1629861