Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don Smith Super Connie Flying Weight?

I have finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Don Smith's Super Connie plans.
    I was about to order a full kit from Precision Cut Kits in the USA when a mate reminded me of the hassles of flying an over 25kg plane in Australia.
    Has anyone built one of these with electric power instead of the 4 x .90's or even if you have one flying?
    If so could you let me know the flying weight?
    I have seen on one post that they come out at 20-24kg but that was ic powered.
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Don Smith Super Connie Flying Weight?

The regs are here:

http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/proc...and%20Oper.pdf

Maybe the answer is to build it lighter in the non-structural areas & this is where electric power may work in your favour.
    Without 4 x IC engines hammering away areas like engine mountings & particularly cowls, nacelles, fairings, tip tanks etc can be built very light.

Wheels/tyres & undercarriages of models like this make up a substantial percentage of the weight too so even changing wheels can save a kilo or two. And with a heap of batteries to shuffle around there's no need to carry any ballast weight.

There are lots of things left out of electric conversions to like plumbing, fuel fillers, tanks, throttle servos, on-board glow systems, in cowl mufflers & these all add to the final weight.

Common sense in finishing can save a bit of weight to, no fuel proofing worries, and it's not compulsory to finish in fibreglass & two pack paint.

Americans tend to design heavy anyway.

The Connie is on my to-do list as well but I'm looking at something quite a bit smaller & lighter than what you building, for me about 120 inch span at about 7 kg's will suit me fine.

A friend is building (assembling? ) the ASM ARF B-17 at 120 inch span so I'm interested on how that project turns out.
    There's a thread on that model in RC Warbirds & Warplanes.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9800576/tm.htm - John.