Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes Giant 1/3 Scale Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Nitroplanes Giant 1/3 Scale Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes Giant 1/3 Scale Cub

Yes they are available in yellow. I considered the Saito 300 twin for mine. Any 50cc motor should fly it very scale. The Zenoah gt80 I have is rated at 5.5hp. I believe the Kavan is a bit over 4hp. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would the total weight be with the Kavan 50....a estimant maybe??? I would like to modify it to a clipped wing version. That may make it a neat flying plane I would think. Any coments on that? Thanks Capt,n
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Tom in Cincy

I never have weighed mine. Once the plane is assembled you realize it has so much wing weight is no big deal. My advise is to build it as is. It is a very fine flyer. Then if you wish to cut a wing panel have at. The yellow cub is selling for $299 right now. The only thing I am sure of is either way you will love it..
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

how did they ship this thing? what were the freight costs?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Tom in Cincy

$70.05 shipping UPS to Ohio
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM
builttocrash

I'm sorry, but this has to be said. What is up with the nose of this thing? Its FAR from Scale. The only reason I am commenting on this is because I was looking for a cub on Nitro's site and this plane popped up. I saw your review of 5 stars. While the quality looks to be there, why did they skimp on doing an accurate nose? I'd be all over this plane if that was fixed, but in my opinion, it was just enough to question the rest of the plane.

Nothing against you and good luck on your maiden.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
builttocrash

I have to add:

I watched the video in your first post. The nose looks different than yours. Yours seems to match the nose on the yellow one advertised over on Nitros site. The blue one on their site matches the video in your first post. Is this just an illusion? For the price, I'm now reconsidering buying this and fixing the nose. Whats your thoughts?

Do you think a 55cc would be enough to fly this? Whats its total weight?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Tom in Cincy

I did some measuring on my cowl. If you look at the black engine & exhaust molding, its 4 inches long. The distance from the back of the false engine to the rear of the cowl is an additional 8 inches. I think in the video with the da50 power he may of cut an inch off the back end of the cowl. BTW the cowl can overlap the front of the fuselage by 1.25"

From what I can tell at least 2 inches or more could be cut off the rear of the cowl and it will still fit on the fuse because it simply does not taper until you are 4" from the end. Another thing he did was to blacken the windows. I believe that helps make thing look shorter.

All that being said, I have a pretty heavy motor in mine. Its a Zenoah GT80 with the steel mufflers. Believe it or not the plane balanced right on the CG. If the firewall was shorter I would of been adding lead up front. Fly Models specified a 100c twin. The longer cowl is needed to fit the bigger motors in.
I have a 1lb or more puppet in mine right ahead of the cg.
The video shows a 50cc Da engine. It flew it nicely. My GT80 was running pretty rich and it flew it very well. As I have said before 4.5 - 5.5 hp is enough power for this cub. I still have yet to weigh mine but with the heavy motor and a pound plus pilot, lots of epoxy reinforcement, 2 batteries and a 12 foot wing weight is not an issue. I painted the cowl and added some white trim.

For $300 this thing flys great and its presence in the air is impressive too. You won't regret it.. (I think ) lol

Take It from Charlie McCarthy Cuz he's No Dummy!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvbNHkQRV-I&list=UU8o_Nzo2ic9IN42-5rzl7rg&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56801.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1719679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28442.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1719680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35494.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1719681  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

that nose is UGLY ruins the plane and a sell[:'(]
Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
builttocrash

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I did some measuring on my cowl. If you look at the black engine & exhaust molding, its 4 inches long. The distance from the back of the false engine to the rear of the cowl is an additional 8 inches. I think in the video with the da50 power he may of cut an inch off the back end of the cowl. BTW the cowl can overlap the front of the fuselage by 1.25"

From what I can tell at least 2 inches or more could be cut off the rear of the cowl and it will still fit on the fuse because it simply does not taper until you are 4" from the end. Another thing he did was to blacken the windows. I believe that helps make thing look shorter.

All that being said, I have a pretty heavy motor in mine. Its a Zenoah GT80 with the steel mufflers. Believe it or not the plane balanced right on the CG. If the firewall was shorter I would of been adding lead up front. Fly Models specified a 100c twin. The longer cowl is needed to fit the bigger motors in.
I have a 1lb or more puppet in mine right ahead of the cg.
The video shows a 50cc Da engine. It flew it nicely. My GT80 was running pretty rich and it flew it very well. As I have said before 4.5 - 5.5 hp is enough power for this cub. I still have yet to weigh mine but with the heavy motor and a pound plus pilot, lots of epoxy reinforcement, 2 batteries and a 12 foot wing weight is not an issue. I painted the cowl and added some white trim.

For $300 this thing flys great and its presence in the air is impressive too. You won't regret it.. (I think ) lol

Take It from Charlie McCarthy Cuz he's No Dummy!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvbNHkQRV-I&list=UU8o_Nzo2ic9IN42-5rzl7rg&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

For $300 bucks you get a 140" wingspan plane. Thats pretty good in itself. How does the rest of the appearance of the cub seem to you though? The tail? The fuse? Could you get this to pass for a cub at a scale competition?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Tom in Cincy

I got 2 flights in on the Cub today. I am still very happy I got this Giant. As I get more experienced with it I tend to play with some aerobatics. It rolls great. Loops look good. Inverted flight is no problem, and does the best stall turns (hammer heads) of all my planes.
Since I do not compete, taking this to a scale competition is something I would not consider. The cowl is out of scale due to its length. The length of the front of the cowl should be about 12 inches ahead of the front of the windshield. The Nitroplanes Cub is 15 inches. The real cub cowl has a single hole in the front for the oil cooler. The Nitroplanes Cub has 2 holes side by side for engine cooling. I understand this is out of scale but makes the installation and balancing(CG) With the recommended twin cylinder engine much easier.
I repainted the cowl white and added some white monokote trim to the front. It now looks much closer to Hazel Sigs clipped wing.
Love to hear from anyone else that has put one of these in the air. Please post your experiences too!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm, wonder if the Fiberglass Specialties 1/3 scale cowl for the BUSA 1/3 scale Cub would fit?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 AM
builttocrash

The PiperSuperCruiser PA-12 had two holes.One on each side like you are describing in this plane. Could this really be a PA-12 instead of a Cub? How about the wood construction? Good, bad, weak, brittle? And the covering, is it thinner than monokote? Come on Tom, you have to do a proper review if you want more of these flying. Break it down for us.
ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I got 2 flights in on the Cub today. I am still very happy I got this Giant. As I get more experienced with it I tend to play with some aerobatics. It rolls great. Loops look good. Inverted flight is no problem, and does the best stall turns (hammer heads) of all my planes.
Since I do not compete, taking this to a scale competition is something I would not consider. The cowl is out of scale due to its length. The length of the front of the cowl should be about 12 inches ahead of the front of the windshield. The Nitroplanes Cub is 15 inches. The real cub cowl has a single hole in the front for the oil cooler. The Nitroplanes Cub has 2 holes side by side for engine cooling. I understand this is out of scale but makes the installation and balancing(CG) With the recommended twin cylinder engine much easier.
I repainted the cowl white and added some white monokote trim to the front. It now looks much closer to Hazel Sigs clipped wing.
Love to hear from anyone else that has put one of these in the air. Please post your experiences too!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Tom in Cincy

lol Never intended for it to be a review. I was very curious as to what $300 could buy in a 12 foot plane. There was so little info (actually none) so I started this thread. And I did a little bit of reviewing here and there but its not my intention to do a critical review. But here goes.

10= excellent 1= bogus.

Chinakote is similar to oracote give it a 8 Its similar to Hanger 9 quality.

General engineering of ARF a 7 ( redo front wing holdowns, front windshield is a poor fit, elevator servos conflict, center wing section needs extra glue.)

Quality of the wood is typical China good balsa poor hardwoods =5

Typical Chinese glue job = 4. You should reglue critical joints.

Landing gear supplied =6 ( For Chinese gear its a 10)

Wheels =2

Assembly instructions = 0 A one is too kind

Hardware =5 ( I used 90% of it)

Fit and Finish =9

Head turning factor =10+

Flight characteristics ( big envelope, good aerobatics, good stall tendencies, landings are like nothing the small planes can do) = 10 +++

Assembly time at field is about average for a big bird.
Fits in my Dodge minvan with the tail assembled.

VALUE is a !0+++

Just order one. You can only be out $300
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
builttocrash

I know Tom. Best thing is I only live an hour from you. Maybe I could get to see this in person next time I'm up that way for work? I'm up in Cinci about every other week. Sometimes a couple times a week.

I like your review and it seems very honest. Maybe after Isee it, I'll order one. $300 bucks isn't a lot at all.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
KNowAceHere

Tom I think it looks great for the price. I just ordered mine today, got a 14% off discount code (almost coverd shipping $66). Gonna put a DLE55 on it. If you look at Balsa USA's 1/3 scale Cub, it calls for a 45 - 70 cc engine with a weight of 35lbs, so the 55 should do fine. I'm not into really scale so close is fine for me and you can't beat the price. Thanks for providing the info you did. It help me pull the trigger on this one. Actually the price alone did that
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Tom in Cincy

Very good. Hopefully UPS will treat it well on its first cross country journey. It made it across the ocean Ok but United Package Smashers will be its most dangerous adventure to date. I have made a new and very simple mod to mine. The wing struts bolt to the bottom of the fuselage with a 3mm screw. Last time out I had a heck of a time getting that threaded into the blind nut up in the fuselage. A simple solution is to run a bolt in from the top and locktite it in so that approximately .5" sticks out the bottom of the fuselage. Now you have an easy to locate stud sticking out that will attach the bottom wing strut with a shakeproof nylon insert 3mm nut. (nut driver sold seperatley)!
Have fun with your new Cub...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM
KNowAceHere

Well, it's here!

And Undamaged.

Pretty much everything the same as in your kit except there was no manual. I have built many planes and I'm sure I can figure this one out without any instructions. I am needing some help on the CG. Tom, what was your CG? It is going to be awhile before I get started on this big bird. Still working on two others right now. I'll try to keep everyone posted when I get started.

Really Big Plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88754.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1731464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81858.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1731465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47328.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1731466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64542.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1731467  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Tom in Cincy

The manual is available here as an automatic download. http://site.nitroplanes.com/manuals/...100CC-Blue.zip

The CG is located on the trailing edge of the main aluminum spar. Your Cub looks good. i am glad it made it to its new home A OK.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
builttocrash

Did you bring this to the WIngs for Kids in Louisville over the Weekend?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
dadragon

the one that NELITZ built had a Quadra 42cc and it flew pretty scale.you will find it wants to float on landing mine does.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Tom in Cincy

I have not flown my cub for a few weeks now. As I have stated in several previous posts, the cub flies like a dream. On landing I usually leave a little bit of throttle on until I just cross the threshold of the runway. The cub lands nicely but I would not say that it floats. In conditions where you might have a 10 mile an hour headwind the cub will slow down very nicely. Under no wind or let's say a bit of a crosswind it lands very nicely, very realistic in my estimation. This is still a 30 pound plus model and has to be flown in.

I am a little surprised that there has not been more people building and posting comments here. I'm sure Nitro planes is selling them since they always seem to be on backorder.

Still a great value for the money and goes together fairly quickly.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a fun plane. Be more scale like if Mr. Mc Carthy was piloting from the rear seat though.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
sticktickler

I make custom graphics kits for this plane if you need traditional true scale marking or something fresh and new with custom logos just PM me I would be glad to help.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Ken41

Just ordered one for $299.00 with free shipping using code NPFS35K
Just could not pass it up!

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.