Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Tank mount in older planes

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Tank mount in older planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM
boisebiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank mount in older planes

All of the newer planes seem to have access to the fuslage from the top, great idea. I am converting a 4*120 to run on gas and can't figure out how to plumb the tank. I have put tanks in new planes ie Yak54, Edge 540, Wildstik. All have access from the top. My problem is with the vent line. How have you run the vent line from the tank in a plane where the only access to the tank is by removing the wing from the bottom of the fuslage? The issue is with filling and draining. It seems that one will only be able to fill the tank when the plane is assembled and placed upright.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Tank mount in older planes

ORIGINAL: boisebiker

All of the newer planes seem to have access to the fuslage from the top, great idea. I am converting a 4*120 to run on gas and can't figure out how to plumb the tank. I have put tanks in new planes ie Yak54, Edge 540, Wildstik. All have access from the top. My problem is with the vent line. How have you run the vent line from the tank in a plane where the only access to the tank is by removing the wing from the bottom of the fuslage? The issue is with filling and draining. It seems that one will only be able to fill the tank when the plane is assembled and placed upright.
I have a 4*120 and I made the hatch on top of the fuse right behind the fire wall. This way you can put the tank in and have full access to it. You did not say what motor you are going to use ? I have an O.S. 120 4-stroke in mine and made one hole for both lines to come through then used silicone to fill in when done with plumbing. I used a three line set up in mine being it is a glow motor. One to vent,second to fill, third goes to motor. If you use a gas motor you will only need two lines. One for vent and the other that goes to the motor/carb is to put a "T" fitting in it to fill and drain. Hope this helps.
DougB1
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
boisebiker

I did mention I was converting to gas, a RCGF 26cc. All parts came out of my Wildstik that was parked in a tree. I put a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage right behind the firewall for acces to batterys and ignition. The tank will reside in the main bay at the CG so if I have a hatch that includes the canopy that might work. But I feel like it will weeken the structure of the fuselage. I am thinking I will mount the tank with the vent line wraped around it 2 times, one loop to the rear of the tank and exit in front of the landing gear.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: boisebiker

The tank will reside in the main bay at the CG so if I have a hatch that includes the canopy that might work. But I feel like it will weeken the structure of the fuselage. I am thinking I will mount the tank with the vent line wraped around it 2 times, one loop to the rear of the tank and exit in front of the landing gear.
Did you not see how I did mine [X(] It will work for gas just as it did for glow. Why are you wanting to wrap the fuel line all over the place ? Take both lines out of the front of the fire wall and put the vent line straight down the firewall to the bottom then secure it and the fuel line going to the carb will have a "T" fitting in it to fuel and de-fuel. Don't make it any harder than you have to.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
boisebiker

The vent line on a gas tank can not just run to the firewall and be secured. During certain manuvers the fuel will run out the vent. The process of wrapping the line around the tank and looping to the back of the tank and then to the front makes it so that no mater the orientation of the plane fuel will always have to run up hill to get out the vent. In glow this is not an issue because the vent is connected to the exhaust which has pressure on it when running. I am looking for ways that guys have mounted their gasoline tanks in a plane that has a removable wing on the bottom.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

I put my tank in the normal spot. I had a 3 line system with a fuel dot, line to the carb, and vent running out the bottom. I ran an Evolution 26. I had the RX pack shoved most of the way under the servo tray and the ignition battery (2 cell lipo) in front of that. Balanced out perfectly.