Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AMR High Wing Stick 30

I stopped and picked up some new 1-1/2" long bolts for the engine. I installed the bolts along with heavy fender washers and locking washers. They did not have 10-32 T-Nuts or the Nord-Lock washers.

Once the engine was mounted I tested the ignition and all was well. I installed a 18x10 Xoar wood prop I had flown on the Stick previously and test ran the engine. After some minor linkage and trim adjustments all is well. The engine is pulling 7300rpm with the 18x10 and was pulling 8700rpm with the 18x6. The engine has much more thrust with the 18x10 prop.

I will take the Stick back out flying this Saturday at our Club Fun-Fly and get some video.
    Later!!
    Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44798.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	1780534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76780.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1780535  
    WACO Brother #30 Cub Brother #17
    It's not the hours you put in It's what you put into the hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great to see it back together again! Looking at your last photo I noticed that you didn't use the silicone wire wrap on the spark plug wire as well as the clip to secure the ignition connector from comming apart. May be good insurance to install.
    VJ

Ryan ST-A Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Spot VJ,
    I will put them on before Saturday. I just threw the basics together to make sure the engine would run fine. Hard to believe the plane and the engine dropped from such an altitude and nothing was seriously damaged. The gear legs may or may not hold up under the stress of landings. I am afraid they have been weakened from the bending. I will see how they hold up this weekend and if they start bending out I will get another set of legs from AMR.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony, have you flown your Stick now that the repairs have been made?
    VJ

Ryan ST-A Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This one maidens tomorrow, weather permitting. 15lbs dry, Mintor 38 for power. Cut one servo out by joining the elevator halves with a wire.

Name:	Ge95859.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1786837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21541.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	1786838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv56109.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	1786839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Un33699.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1786840  
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks really good, make sure you give us a flight report.

I would really suggest starting with the throws at the recommended settings. I thought the elevators looked small and added more throw and it was very sensitive on the 1st flight.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got three flights on it today. I thought it was tail heavy because it was dropping the tail in the turns, but it passed the 45 degree inverted upline test and the CG is where it is supposed to be. Using rudder in the turns cleans up this behavior. Needs differential on the ailerons.

Where did yours balance and how did it fly?
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I balanced mine right on the wing tube per the manual.

My stick will also climb in a turn if you do not input rudder. I am used to flying my 1/3 Cub and using rudder all the time so I am used to it.

A guy in my club has a GP big stick and it fly's the same way, tail low. His does not want to clinb in the turns. Maybe some differential will help a little.

Glad to hear your flights went well.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to thank Waco for a great guild thread. I have been looking at AMR Stick kits for a while and always wondered about the quality. After seeing this and hearing that you have built 3 of their kits, I am finally going to get the 30cc kit, eventually. Gotta sell some of the smaller crap that I don't want anymore. I was about to start scaling up a set of plans that I found online, but the kit will be easier and quicker, but knowing that they turn out tail heavy, I will probably make some changes to try to alleviate the need for nose weight. Maybe move the tail servos out back...

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,
    I have been enjoying flying my Stick. I have been playing around with the wing incidence on mine. The plane tends to climb while turning if a generous amount of rudder is not input. I have raised the L/E of the wing by 3/16" and it behaves much better in the turns.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love the blue and white impulse..........looks great! Sometimes folks way over do a scheme and it looks tacky. Yours is nice and clean and those colors flow nicely with the planes lines!
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WacoNut,

After building and flying the 30cc AMR high wing stick, I would like your opinion about the use of a Saito GlowTwin (50cc) with CDI ignition for power on it. I have had the this Saito 300 for several years but have not found a suitable airframe for it. Would it overpower the airframe, and would weight and balance be an issue on the AMR 30CC Stick? Your opinion would be appreciated.

sl5406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not familiar with that engine. The DLE-30 is a good match for this plane and it is by no means over powered. I did have to add quite a bit of nose weight to get mine balanced so you can stand to have a heavier engine. The largest prop I would fly this plane with is a 20" prop, anything bigger and you may start to have ground clearance issues.

Good Luck!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just getting ready to pull the trigger on the high wing version as I have an OS GT33 without a home. What torque rating for the servos does the manual call for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know what I did with my manual. I am using Hitec HS645-MG's on all the control surfaces.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,
    Thanks! I think I am going to add flaps and use 4x 9252s in the wing. They are 92 oz-in (@4.8v) each so I should be good, total power will be little > a single HS645.

Pip

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mixed flaps into the ailerons. Not that it is needed as the plane slows down really nice without flaps.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fuse is completed . What size servo arms and engine standoffs did you end up using?

Thanks,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pippip

The fuse is completed . What size servo arms and engine standoffs did you end up using?

Thanks,
    Sorry about the delay,
    I used the standard arms that came with the Hitec 645's. The engine stand-offs are what came with the DLE-30 as well.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been working on my stick and am really happy with how it's turning out. I was a little disappointed with some of the laser work originally, but I came up with a fix for The seriously torched balsa. All of the cutting for the ply has been great, it's just the thick balsa that was in need of some creative repair. I have the fuse and tail surfaces ready for final sanding, with the main landing gear adjusted more to my liking. I also replaced the bolts for DuBro axles and the small wheels with 5" DuBro lites. I bent the landing gear to give a lower and wider stance. I like the look much better. I have my 7985's in for the elevators, and a 7955 for the rudder. I will have my DLE 35RA on Monday to get that fitted. I have just started the wing. The jig and laminated parts are ready to start the full assembly.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pictures, pictures, where are the pictures?????
    pete
    Cub Brother #129
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #82

Sig Brotherhood #27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, got it now. Enjoy!

Mike

Name:	Us54744.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1843395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl26056.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	1843396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pr24499.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	1843397  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking great, Mike. Don't be shy about posting more pics as you work on a specific area.
    Any mods or shortcuts will help others (me) as we follow build threads. Thanks for sharing.
    pete
    Cub Brother #129
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #82

Sig Brotherhood #27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello! I had the same problem with the thick balsa parts which seemed to impact the pieces for the square rudder. I was looking to build the round one so it was not a large impact to me. The fuse and tail fins went together great.

The pics below are the first step of the wing assembly. AMR did a great job with the jig, it is a vary large plus!!!!!!!

My only large deviation will be that I am adding flaps. I created copies of W19 and W18 and will install them between ribs 3 & 4. I fully understand that they are not needed on this model but I have couple others in the works that do so I am going to use this plane as my experimentation/training platform.

Thanks,
    Pip

Name:	Wu61379.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1843549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82671.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1843550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd83060.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1843551  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Went flying this morning. I took my Stick 30 and my 33% Cub. 1st up was the Stick 30. I did about 5 circuits of the field with a couple of loops and rolls then shot a practice approach. I throttled up to go around and climbed for altitude as I turned cross wind, all of the sudden the Stick pitched straight up and the engine died. I immediately noticed the engine hanging from the fiewall by the spark plug wire[&o]. I leveled the plane out and made a gentle turn towards the runway when the spark plug wire let loose of the engine and it dropped straight into a soybean field as the plane once again pitched straight up due to the severe change in CG. The plane immediately stalled and was at an altitude of about 75ft. I held in full down elevator and the plane dove towards the ground. At about 15ft of altitude I went full up elevator and the plane again pulled up and stalled about 8 ft above the beans and then just dropped straight into the beans in a flat attitude. I found the plane sitting on it's gear in the beans with the main gear slightly sprung and a couple of minor dings on the top wing surface from the engine. The engine was found approx. 100ft away in the bean field. The engine hit the ground on it's side and bent one of the standoff bolts. The interesting thing is the prop. One blade was split right up the middle and the other blade was delaminated. This was a Xoar 18x6 laminated prop.

I know the engine was tight before the flight. I have put 12 flights on the Stick since the last time the engine bolts were installed. This was the 3rd flight with this prop on the plane. The prop blade that was split up the middle appeared to be from the impact but the delaminated prop blade looks alot different. Is it possible the blade started to delaminate during the flight? I did tach the engine before the flight and it was pulling 8700rpm on the ground.

I am still puzzled at how all 4 bolts could come loose enough that they would all completely back out in just a 5 minute flight. The prop was well balanced and there wasn't any excessive vibration during runup before the flight. All 4 bolts were thru the fiewall and into the stand-offs with washers and lock washers and thread locker.

Anyhow I feel very lucky to get the plane on the ground in one piece. I will get some new bolts and change the bolting of the engine to a more bulletproof method.
    I will get some pics of the plane and prop later.
    Anthony
    One suggestion, many times the firewall can compress from tensioning the bolts. So essentially they become loose because of this. Typical problem with gassers. One trick, is to drill a series of holes around the mounting bolt for the stand offs. Then insert and glue 1/16" dowels or toothpicks around the bolt hole. This provides strong end grain to be present behind the washers. Also, thread lock on all of these bolts. Never had one come loose set up this way.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast