Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

OS 160 Twin

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 160 Twin

Well I have Done it now..The dog will be warm tonight . I have ordered the motor for my BUSA 1/4 Cub.. I followed the advice of a few of my fellow builders and decided to go for the OS FT-160 Twin 4-C It is expensive but after all this is my Cub that it is going on and it will sound so nice purring along making slow passes...I would like to hear from anyone with experience with this engine , as to weather it needs an on board glow for the idol ect . ect .The best way to set it up , mount it , fuel tank set upand location to the needle , All that kind of advice and tips would be very welcome as for me this is a big investment andI do not want to screw itup...Also designs for large dog houses would be welcome..Just kidding..My wife is great..She supports me 100%... Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM
AUS11594

Default RE: OS 160 Twin

I have done it both ways on a 120, not really necessary but it ensures good idle and no flame outs. Used 5Ah battery switched by micro switch at the low end of the throttle servo travel. Very useful for starting.
AUS11594
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 AM
bikerbc

So it would switch on automatticly at low throttle ? Say 1/4 throttle and lower...Is it switched as well ?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about going to ignition? I had a FT300 for a short time, got it from one of our club members. He had put a manual advance ignition on it and when he got things right with the advance linkage, that engine would pop tick over at an astounding slow speed. This was using glow fuel. Steady as a rock also. The weight gain would be just a few grams more than an on board glow system.

Don
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a OS FT-120 (30 yrs old although was never run till recently) on my 1/4 Cub which weighed 16lbs.It was underpowered, the 160 would be ideal although I dont think it would work if u go over 20lbs.
The sound of the FT is REALISTIC and worth every penny. Make sure u adjust the valve gaps after u run it in.

It will flame out or one cylinder will stop firing if it is running rich otherwise no nead for a glow driver. The seceret is in fine tuning it, didnt take much.

Good luck

Rafeek
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Yes a glow driver is nice and when you get tired of the cub you can put that OS into a Hanger Nine Cessna 182 ARF which is a perfect match
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I ran both the 120 and 160 twins from 1990 to 2003 with great success. The 160s are much better performers than the 120 Gemini IIs were. The bulk of my flying was in a Great Planes SuperSportster built in 1990 and then the Hanger 9 and Sig CAPs.

In all cases the planes weighed from 11 to 13 lbs and were good aerobatic planes but not 3-D capable.

As for the engines they were dead reliable running on Morgan pink 10% in the summer and 15% in the winter such as it is here in the Dallas Ft Worth area. Never had a problem dropping a cylinder in flight or coming up from idle. Since my engines were cowled, I used two dubro remote glow extensions and plugged in a glow igniter for each cylinder. I removed the choke setup as all of the engines would fire up from idle in 5 to 10 seconds using a Sullivan starter. Allow it to idle for 30 seconds or so before removing the igniters and things are good to go. The needle valve and idle seldom require any adjustment day to day unless there is a 30 to 40 degree temp. change.

The valves need to be checked and lubricated maybe once every 100 flights or so. I found the a light grease seemed to do a better job than just the blow by oil but I never saw any evidence of under lubrication of the valve train.

The OS-F glowplugs will go through as much as 20 gallons of fuel or more with no problems so they seldom require attention.

Overall they are fun and reliable powerplants, money aside. I still have two of the here with no idea as to what to do with them at this point in time.

Enjoy lots of good flying from your 160 twin.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
bikerbc

Gremlin Castle can you tell me if you need a motor mount or do you just use the motors own boltholes? I see they sell a motor mount for the motor...Do you want to sell the two motors that you have ? Are they both 160 , s , and are they high time motors... I looked in your gallery, There is some nice stuff in there...I love the little Piper Skycycle and the Aeromobile....Did you build them??
Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 AM
AUS11594

Yes, would be switched on automatically at (say) 1/4 throttle. I can't quite remember now but I assume I also had a master switch on it so it could be permanently off otherwise you run the risk of leaving the glow driver on when you don't want it on and flattening the glow driver battery.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I used the mount that is supplied with the engine and built a box from the firewall forward to space the motor correctly with the cowling.
Yes I built the two planes that you mentioned primarily for the SMALL event held ion LittleRock every year.

Send me a pm abouit the two 160s
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
welchcb

Sorry to be late getting in on this. I have been running a FT 160 for several years on a 1/4 scale Spacewalker II. I ran it with onboard glow for most of the time until I had a minor accident (ie, flew into a tree). One of the glow plugs broke off in the onboard glow cap and I haven't figured out a way to extract it. I took the system off and went without onboard glow. I cannot see any difference in the performance. It's a beautiful sounding engine and idles great without the onboard glow system. Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 AM
bignuts181

ORIGINAL: welchcb

Sorry to be late getting in on this. I have been running a FT 160 for several years on a 1/4 scale Spacewalker II. I ran it with onboard glow for most of the time until I had a minor accident (ie, flew into a tree). One of the glow plugs broke off in the onboard glow cap and I haven't figured out a way to extract it. I took the system off and went without onboard glow. I cannot see any difference in the performance. It's a beautiful sounding engine and idles great without the onboard glow system. Good luck!!
Remove the jug and try drilling a .030" hole up the middle of the glow plug and extract the plug with an easy out (tapered cone with a course opposite hand thread guve it a firm tap with a ball pein hammer and carefully unscrew. I do this at least once a week at work on titanium high lock fasteners on full sized planes.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
welchcb

I appreciate your reply. The tip of the glow plug broke off in the wire cap that comes from the remote glow plug unit. It did not break off in the engine.

Thanks for your efforts though.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 AM
bikerbc

I dont know if yours is like mine but if it is you should be able to put your fingers on the cap while pulling back on the wire. this should relese the grip the cap has on the glow plug and it should pull out of there fairly eaisly...Its just a little clip on deal with a spring...You will feel it when you pull on the wire...Good luck...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, would be switched on automatically at (say) 1/4 throttle. I can't quite remember now but I assume I also had a master switch on it so it could be permanently off otherwise you run the risk of leaving the glow driver on when you don't want it on and flattening the glow driver battery.
That's the system I use on my Magnum 160 & it works great. I use two D size (4000 mAh) nicads in series with the positive via the switch to one plug & the negative to the plug on the other, the engine completes the circuit. If one plug blows both stop working so it's easier to know you have a problem.

I remember your post earlier when you were deciding what engine to use in your Cub, glad to see you went with a 4 stroke twin rather than a rattly big 2 stroke, you'll forget about the price in no time & every time you start it up you'll smile & know you made the right choice!

Good to see you spent the extra on the OS over the ASP, same deal, you'll look back in years to come & the extra dough you spent will mean nothing.

Made your will out yet? Treated properly these engines last practically forever so you may be passing it on! - John.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 AM
welchcb

BIKERBC

Thanks for the reply. I'm familar with the type you're talking about, but mine is not that type.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Magnum 160 xl, that is what I got through an accidental plane purchase although I was expecting an OS...
How do you like yours? Where can u buy a new one and parts. Who makes it?

Thanks for your help.

Rafeek
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The ASP 160 is the same engine just sold under a different name.

Found suppliers here:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-ft160ar.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Engine_.html

Mine was a bit fiddly to get going reliably but seems ok now. Only time will tell how long it lasts. - John.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
napacp
My Feedback: (1)

just currious i have a sullivan remote glow starter and i want it to come on when throtleing down from 1/4 to all the way off this is because i mounted a 120 ax upside down and i was told by OS it might be A GOOD IDEAL TO USE THE GLOW STARTER I HAVE SET IT UP BUT IT SEEMS TO ONLY WANT TO WORK WHEN THROTLING UP NOT ON THE WAY DOWN LIKE I WANT CALLED SULLIVAN BUT NO RESPONCE YET I WAS MESSING AROUND WITH IT AND HAD IT WORKING COMMING DOWN BUT NOT IN THE RIGHTSPOT AND NOW CANT FIGURE OUT HOW I GOT IT TO WORK THIS WAY AND THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SET IT UP LIKE THIS ON THE STATER PACKAGE
Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
RonTins

here are the instructions for setting up the Sullivan OnBoard glow driver.
For automatic operation, set your throttle stick to the position that you want the plug to come on. Push the white button under the SET hole, and the LED will begin flashing about twice a second for several seconds. Increase throttle on the transmitter while the LED is flashing.
This orients the unit for high vs low throttle direction. When the flashing stops, the setpoint and direction is stored in memory. You can redo this as often as desired. Check the setpoint by moving the throttle up and down through
the setpoint. The LED will indicate that the plug is on or off.