Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Weeks Special Solution

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Weeks Special Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Weeks Special Solution

Hi, kind of rustly but back in the mid 80's I assembled a Miles Reed Solution 1/4 scale bipe, I've got a hankering to get back into the sport and I see a 1/4 scale Weeks Special by Miles Reed, too bad he passed away as I live only a couple miles from the guy, Anyhow it sure looks similar, does anyone the differances between the two?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weeks Special Solution

Hello a70eliminator,

From what I can tell from the catalog I have, the Miles Reed Solution looks very much like the Pitts with a swept back upper wing and a straight lower wing with a rounded vertical fin and rudder. The Weeks Solution looks much more like an Ultimate with both wings swept back and a similar vertical fin and rudder like the Ultimate. A friend of mine has a 1/3 scale Weeks Solution X with a 3W72 twin that he built back in 1996 and I can tell you that it is the best flying biplane I have ever seen. My friend bought a 50cc Aeroworks 20-300 Ultimate late last year and he told me that it does not fly near as well as his Weeks. I'm pretty sure all of Miles Reeds planes in the catalog are still available as kits. If you would like a copy of the catalog, please PM me your email address and I will send it to you in a PDF file.

Oh yeah, welcome back to the hobby........

David
Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

The Weeks Special and the original Weeks Solution kits by Miles Reed were virtually identical except the wingtips and tail feather shape. The fuse was the exact same, cowl, wing other than tips, landing gear, all the same. Both have swept back top and bottom wings. That was the main change Kermit Weeks made to the Pitts to make the Weeks Special. If you find a Special you could easily turn it into a Solution. On a later design Miles Reed stretched the Solution and called it the Solution X. I'm not sure if there were any other differences with the X.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
a70eliminator

Thanks guys, going back ito try and re-live my flying days at the old club and I just hope this kit foots the bill, at least it is a Miles Reed production, what a nice old dude he was. Hope the link works,,,,,,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300727769189...84.m1438.l2649

By the way, think my saito 300 T will fly this?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello a70eliminator,

After reading Smithcreek's response, I looked at the catalog again and he is absolutely correct, the bottom wing on the special is swept like the upper. I apologize for the incorrect information. Regarding your question about the Saito 300 twin being adequate. I have not seen a 300 twin Saito fly anything larger than a 1/4 scale Extra 260, and this particular Saito was the high performance version with twin carbs and two glow plugs per cylinder. Therefore I do not believe it will be adequate. Another reason I do not think it will be adequate is that my friend started out with a G62 in his Solution X, and he said he quickly removed it because it would not fly the plane with and authority.

Good luck with your plane. I hope you will think about doing a Build Thread on your kit. I, for one, will follow along with your build as the Solution is a plane that is not often seen.......

David
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miles Reed plans/planes/kits are still cool, fly great and sturdy too![8D]
Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 AM
a70eliminator

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hello a70eliminator,

After reading Smithcreek's response, I looked at the catalog again and he is absolutely correct, the bottom wing on the special is swept like the upper. I apologize for the incorrect information. Regarding your question about the Saito 300 twin being adequate. I have not seen a 300 twin Saito fly anything larger than a 1/4 scale Extra 260, and this particular Saito was the high performance version with twin carbs and two glow plugs per cylinder. Therefore I do not believe it will be adequate. Another reason I do not think it will be adequate is that my friend started out with a G62 in his Solution X, and he said he quickly removed it because it would not fly the plane with and authority.

Good luck with your plane. I hope you will think about doing a Build Thread on your kit. I, for one, will follow along with your build as the Solution is a plane that is not often seen.......

David
Really! I was actually being sarcastic, I think the Saito will pull it like freightt train, the kit recomends a g-38 or q35-40 , or ST 3000 .
I sure hope your wrong and i didn't buy the wrong airframe for my S300T

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM
hrrcflyer

a70elimjinator,

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong too, but to me a g38 or q35 to 40 sound kind of small for a 1/3 scale plane.......................

David
Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 PM
thepamster

At the time this kit was new the g38 and quadras were often the engine of choice for gas power, except those that heard of Sachs.
The g38 and quadras would not fly that plane very well but a DLE55 probably would be great.
Be careful when building as those Ace kits of that era built quite heavy. I would try to lighten it as much as possible by substituting lighter woods if possible.
I think that 300 saito will fly it but would be better suited for a lightweight but powerful gas engine.
Good luck to you. Bipes rule.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
a70eliminator

ORIGINAL: thepamster

At the time this kit was new the g38 and quadras were often the engine of choice for gas power, except those that heard of Sachs.
The g38 and quadras would not fly that plane very well but a DLE55 probably would be great.
Be careful when building as those Ace kits of that era built quite heavy. I would try to lighten it as much as possible by substituting lighter woods if possible.
I think that 300 saito will fly it but would be better suited for a lightweight but powerful gas engine.
Good luck to you. Bipes rule.
Back in the day there wasn't anything gas powered that matched the power to weight od the 300T Saito, but that DLE sure rises above!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
thepamster

Good point.  That Saito sure would sound nice on that plane though.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Fundafly
My Feedback: (1)

Miles Reed was an awesome guy, his Solution X was a great plane, one of the best everyday flying bibes around for it's size, and time !

In full scal the Solution was a totally different plane that the Special, Kermitt started out with a Special, tried to mod. it to fit an IO540 (6 cylinder) in it, it and it looked like hell, they said "it looked like a flying bananna"
The Solution was then developed, it was the first small bipe (Pitts S-1 size) to be developed around the IO540, yes before the Ultimate

If you want the documentation from Sport Aviation I can provide it, it is an article that was written about Kermitt and the Solution in 1984

I also have plans for a Weeks Solution 33%er and a 42%er if you would like a set of plans, very similar to Miles's design just a bit more scale in regards to the fuselage shape and the wings chord.

Best regards
Tom
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Fundafly

As for the engine choice, for a 37% Weeks Solution (Solution X with a 77" wing) flew well with a G62 on it, if you were to build a 33%er a 55 would be perfect
The new 55s (such as a DLS) are very light, and make the power of an older G62

It would be a great flyer
Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

I have built 2 weeks specials over the last 29 years ( first was kit from (dan & jan XXXXX) they were kitting them in there basement, amd the second wa picked up at Teledo swap meet area partly built.

First bird flew great with a old G 38 would do all of the airo/bats and had more virtical than I needed avary sweet fling machine ant 18.2 lbs wet.

Second one is a good flyer with a YDA-56 engine is still comming around , so I am not sure how it will be.

That said heve seen 2 with G-62s boyh were great flyers and lots of speed, but that bigger engine was vary hard on the air frames, but like all birds the wieght ie: wing loading will determan , how good a flyer you end up with.

Jus my 2 pennys worth

Cheers Bob T

Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
COBRA039

Looking for a set of plans for the Ace Special or Solution if any has a set. My kit had two sets of Wing plans and no
fuse so I am screwed. Cheers Garry.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
welder101
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by COBRA039
Looking for a set of plans for the Ace Special or Solution if any has a set. My kit had two sets of Wing plans and no
fuse so I am screwed. Cheers Garry.
Garry,

i just sent you a PM with the contact information of the person who sells these plans.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 33% Pitts, close enough to join in, and it hauls butt with a 55cc twin turning a 22x8 prop. And mine is over weight by most peoples standards at 22lbs. If yours come out a few lbs lighter that Saito just may be sweet, the Saito call's for a 20x10 @ 7K on rpm so it will be close, but if it is at 20lbs or so I don't think it will be enough.