Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Cub tires coming off hub (Hangar-9)

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Cub tires coming off hub (Hangar-9)

Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 AM
velottatv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub tires coming off hub (Hangar-9)

Any ideas on how to keep the tires on the hub on the Hanagar-9 J-3 quarter scale Cub? They're fine as long as the direction is straight on, but if you slip it on one wheel, the tire pops off the hub. Both tires are the same way. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Cub tires coming off hub (Hangar-9)

Try using some 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the tire to the hub or replace them with the Dubro Cub wheels
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Household or Automotive Goop (lighter fluid removes any excess). 
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: velottatv

Any ideas on how to keep the tires on the hub on the Hanagar-9 J-3 quarter scale Cub? They're fine as long as the direction is straight on, but if you slip it on one wheel, the tire pops off the hub. Both tires are the same way. Thanks!

If they are inflatable, maybe a higher pressure in them will help keep them on? The RC car guys use a tire lock of some kind. But, medium CA should also work well. However, CA may be a permanent "fix", as debonder may not get inside the bond joint or may even melt the tires or craze the hubs? Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
SkyPilot101

R/C car specific products, there used to be a ca that was fortified with rubber thats purpose was to glue car tired to rims, it is black in color, might look into that. If it works on car rims which are plastic, it should be safe for Cub rims. Me, I just ca'ed them on, how long do you want to keep the stock rims anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
morganflyboy
My Feedback: (14)

I raced off road Losi nitro trucks for 10 years, we would use thin C/A to seal the bead of the tire to the rim. I am laughing as I right this, my flying buddy just had the same issue on his 1/3 scale Cub just last week. He e-mailed with his problem, a bead of thin C/A worked just fine. Make sure the area between the rim and the bead of the tire is clean, I use alcohol on both surfaces.

Morgan
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 AM
im_a_rcav8r

I have been at this a long time (over 20 years) and I agree with the CA “fix”.I also race 1/5 scale off road trucks with 30cc gas engines.Mine is 37 pounds and as you can imagine there are tremendous side loads when jumping and turning a truck of that size.The CA holds well.
If you think you may want to reuse the wheels (rims) you can “dot” the CA around the wheel in 5 or 6 places but if you plan on keeping the wheel and tire together for the life of the assembly use a nice neat bead all around.Be neat with the CA as it will show if you get any on the visible part of the tire or wheel.
And as far as your landings go, try not to land sideways.It makes your passenger spill his coffee… Haha…
Tom