Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 95" Cessna 182 yaw problem/wing struts

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hangar 9 95" Cessna 182 yaw problem/wing struts

Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 95" Cessna 182 yaw problem/wing struts

I recently picked up a beautiful Hangar 9 95" Cessna 182 ARF with DLE 30 gasser engine in it.

The plane has an annoying tendency to yaw to the right.

Visually, there is nothing hanging or dragging or sticking up on the right side to cause this yaw.

Does anyone know if the wing struts are functional? I suspect that the wing struts might be pulling one or both wings out of alignment.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 95

Matt ,
I have the same setup with no yaw issues at all . I would not fly mine without the wing struts in place . I don't believe the are as functional as much as asthetic but why chance it.
Yaw would actualy be caused by a verticle stab/rudder issue or an engine thrust issue . The wing struts and possible missalignment would more likely cause a roll issue .
I would verify that the verticle stab is not warped and also verify the amount of right thrust in the engine setup .
Now I will advise you that this plane does tend to weathervane with any cross wind and this can be confused with a yaw issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's always trying to yaw to the right no matter which way the wind is blowing, so we can safely say it's a yaw issue and not the wind.

What really bugs me is the yaw issue is bad enough that I should be able to easily SEE the misalignment. Everything looks good!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
RonTins

During my build, i discovered that it is very easy to glue the vertical stabilizer off center. Check to see if the rudder was glued correctly.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
im_a_rcav8r

Questions:
Does the yaw severity change with air speed?
Does the yaw severity change with engine speed?

Things I would check:
Engine thrust angle.
If the thrust angle is far enough off It may cause a yaw however; the yaw will be most noticeable at high engine RPM and low air speed like during a climb out or transition from slow to faster flight.
Check that the main wing square and true.
Check that the vertical stab is 90 degrees on both planes (vertical and horizontal). When in flight and you trim the yaw out, how much rudder deflection is needed or is it impossible to trim out the yaw?
Lift differential can also cause “adverse yaw”.
If your wings present at different angles of attack, say the right wing has 1 degree of positive incidence and the left wing has 3 degrees you will have a constant adverse yaw not to mention you will never get the role trimmed out as the trim will change with air speed.

You have a puzzle to solve, but it is solvable, just think and be patient.

Tom