Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

beast oil to use in breaking in a dle 55

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

beast oil to use in breaking in a dle 55

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beast oil to use in breaking in a dle 55

Been reading so many opinions of which oil to use in break in, that I'm completely confused now. I think Barnum and Bailey were right when they said "opinions are like butts.... everyone has one. What are you guys using to break in your gas engines.... Lawnbay, Amstal, Stihl. I'm using Stihl HD 40-1 once their broaken in but have been told to use a ashless oil at 30-1 for break in. Lets hear your opinions. Thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
phantomdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: beast oil to use in breaking in a dle 55

I've used redline synthetic right from the start and all my engines run just fine....................Just my experience.
You will hear alot of opinions do what feels good.................
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

How about following the manufacturers reccomendations? I don't think anyone here on RCU will warranty your engine for you. I'm afraid this thread will just start another oil war. I once asked our gardening service guys what oil they use. After all there stuff always works and they treat it like crap. The answer was whatever they could find that was the cheapest. Go figure. IMO 99% of oil related issues are because guys tried to run too little of oil, brand had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My opinion is to use what the manufacturer recomends... I would imagine the engine came with the necessary info.. unless you bought it second hand and the info wasn't included.. which might be the case.. For break in and initial flights of my BME50, LawnBoy ashless is recomended by BME for the first 5 gallons.. I can't remember the ratios(I have this info filed away if needed though).. There is a reason they recomend ashless though.. I wish I could quote it verbatim.. I won't even try.. haha.. but if the manufacturer recomends it.. go with it.. you can't go wrong.. even if something does go wrong.. you did the right thing in anyones book. I did just what BME recomended.. ran ashless for 5 gallons.. then went to synthetic.. its a powerhouse engine at this point.. although it did take me a while to get that much fuel ran.. it was worth it. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
WI53072

I just bought a DLE 35 and I was instructed to run a mix of 32:1 for the first and second gallon through the motor and then 40:1 thereafter. I purchased my motor from Valleyview RC and they recomended that I use Stihl HP Ultra oil mix. So, this is what I will do. I have to think the DLE 55 besides being bigger the recomendation more than likely would be the same.

Paul
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Scota4570

I probably would not use " beast oil". The critter might not want to give up his oil. Any 2-stroke oil will work fine. Most folks fret over oil brands too much, IMHO. Just use enough oil in the premix and you will be fine. I am currently running Pensoil outdoor two stroke at 4 oz per gallon (32:1). My decision was based on the fact that Kmart had it. It does not slime my planes. It does give plenty of lube. I can not figure out why some are preoccupied with running oil poor mixes. If the engine maker has a suggestion do that. I never ran a special oil or mix for break in. I guess I spent my time flying rather than worrying about oil.