Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

DA-50R Starting issues

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

DA-50R Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50R Starting issues

I have two DA-50Rs both with XOAR 22x10 props, Slimline Pitts muffler, running ethanol free fuel, Bel-Ray HI-R @ 50 to 1 and new Duralite batteries regulated to 5.6 volts.

I have had 5 + years of no starting issues on both of these engines, make lots of power, idle good etc.

Engine one: Just back from DA after being overhauled tends to start rich or even flood on second start to the point I turn the ignition off, open throttle and flip it backwards 10 to 15 times, turn on ignition lower throttle, flip 6 - 8 times and it starts very rich into a 4 stroke but will eventually clear out, idle ok and make good power in flight.

Considering my experience with engines fresh back from DA being rich, I have been leaning the low and high needles to get proper start but not too lean in flight. Last weekend after another flooded start and flipping until my arm gave up<-did finually start and fly, I decided to go back to square one. Back in the shop decided to re-set both needles to DA suggested start point, I discovered my low needle was at 3/4 turn out and high was at 1 turn out, seems this should have been way too rich. I have re-set needles to 1-5/8s low side and 1-7/8s high side,new spark plug, fuel lines and filter but haven't run engine yet

I have hundreds of flights with this engine, couple flips choke on, pop, couple flips choke off, started and ran great. Now I have this flooding issue, What am I missing.

Engine two: On first start after sitting a week or two I might have to flip it 20 flips or more to get fuel up to the engine, Pilot Sback. Once it pops it will start and run ok. But man, 20 flips<my arm starts giving out.
I am starting with throttle open a few clicks, choke on.

Any constructive information would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
crashwrench

Default RE: DA-50R Starting issues

Hi
Mr. Frank,

Try checking the vent on your fuel tank, to see if it is clogged or the line is collapsed . Do you run a Fuel Filter Between the Tank and the Carb ?
next is to rebuild the carbs , to replace the pump side gasket .
you said you run Ethanol free gasoline , ok , but when you stop at the end of a day of flying , do you drain your fuel tank in the plane , ok , dry start the engine ,
( like a Glow fuel Engine ) , ok , now what happens is that little " pump / Fuel regulator " gasket " Dries Out " and will not work properly - Also That Cover has a " Small Hole " in it needs to Be Open .... All this can make the gas run out / Flood .

Recommend ,,, try using a Product called " STABIL Fuel Treatment " Look for the " Marine / Ethanol " Teatment Bottle This stuff keeps the Gasoline ( any kind ) from going
SOUR / Bad .

This keeps the fuel system from " drying Out"

Also great for any GAS Engine .........

Hope this Helps,
later,
Mark K.
Atlanta, Ga. USA
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: DA-50R Starting issues

I agree it's a tunning issue....once you get the motor to start let it warm up.......go to high power and set the max by ear...you can use a tach if you like...once set to max leave it at max...don't richen....now go to low and set throttle to give about 2500RPM...now adjust the low end for max by ear with out touching the throttle.....shut it down and let cool. see if you start better......with a good transition...then check on the next flight