Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Rover1newton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

I recently bought the new Hangar 9 Sukhoi 3.1m. After I bought it and got it home I put the landing gear and rudder on and did some measuring then found out that it's not going to fit. Thinking of building a cradle for the rear of the fuse and stick it in spinner first and leaving tailgate down. I have a 2013 Chevy 1500 crew cab and the bed is 6'. Anyone do this? What's your method of getting your 3+ meter plane to the field? A trailer is out of the question because living in an HOA they frown on having a trailer out front and I do not have a side yard to put it on. Ideas please?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts
Default RE: New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

When I was transporting a 40% in a truck bed I made up a set of wheel chocks that went on the tailgate. With the tailgate down and the airplane in tail first it fit well and got lots of looks going down the freeway. I would advise against having the tail out the back as the elevators and rudder will slap around and damage could occure.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one way but I go the other way only because of a panic stop there goes the rudder and tail. I butt the spinner all the way forward and tie the landing gear forward and to the sides of the truck the tail feathers are not going to take any more of a beating then they would any other time. Just that way I do it.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM
speedracerntrixie

The wheels would be secured to the wheel chock so no matter how hard I would brake the airplane would not move. The airflow around the back end of the truck is rather turbulent. My concern was having the surfaces blown around and perhaps over extending that could damage servos and linkages. It also kept people from unknowingly damaging the delicate end should I duck into a restroom or burger joint on the way to or home from the field.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Rover1newton

Thanks for the replies... The only thing is, from what i have measured the main wheels will be hanging off the tailgate. This is why i would try building a cradle for the rear part of the fuse so the main wheels could go into some chocks and not move. My flying field is 2 miles down the road so shouldn't be too turbulent. The only thing is when i go to another field across town for a competition. That's when i would go tail first. Maybe build a platform to extend out for the mains, that way i could go tail first. This is a big plane going in a short box bed. Kinda reminds me of Tommy boy, fat guy in a tiny coat
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

I hear ya. I moved from a truck to a Suburban real quick.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Rover1newton

I would but i just bought the truck a month ago. Wanted to get back into giant scale and was only thinking of a 100cc which would have fit. But got a killer deal on the new airframe from my local hobby shop. Went with a 170cc instead. Oops!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is buying a trailer an option?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 AM
Rover1newton

I wish I could get a trailer but I have no where to put it. My HOA doesn't allow trailers in front or side yard or I would go get one...
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 AM
VNulk

You might consider an RV storage outfit - should be able to find space for your utility trailer for around $40/mo near Surprise. I have to do the same in Oracle.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

You have to be careful going down the freeway with the wings on or your truck will lose traction. poor gas mileage man.
This is how I transport my 1/3 Cub to my own field back of my house for a evening of flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93169.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1896433  
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 AM
hrrcflyer

I'd buy a trailer and tell the HOA to go take a flying leap if they don't like it.............................[>:]

Good luck,
David
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Now you kow why it was a killer deal

Seriously, though, you have a real problem.  If you put it in storage it will need to be air conditioned storage and that may cost a lot more.  Can you put a trailer in your garage and keep your car out?  I know some HOAs there don't like that either.  What about a friend?  Or can you store the trailer at the field - again tho that's a problem in the summer desert sun.
I know, buy one of those RVs that have storage in the back for motorcycles or what not and put it in their.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a garage park the trailer inside. No garage build a box that goes over the cab of the truck and one rack behind the cab not to noticable and a canoe support that goes in the trailer hitch. These carry an 18 ft canoe with ease http://www.got-chrome.com/p-12965-80...FUtgMgod7HoAGA
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Rover1newton

Oh I wish I could just tell them that but they are by the book and on the second notice they fine you. I was looking around for an enclosed trailer and found a few 6x10 enclosed trailers for around 2500. I think ill build a cradle for the truck and put it in tail first. If that doesn't quite work out I guess ill just go get a trailer and use the cradle in the trailer to minimize the potential of it moving around. So it could be a win-win situation. First build cradle and if it doesn't work out so well I could still use it in a trailer. There was a stand that had a gas strut on it that could be mounted in a trailer or truck anyone know where I could get one?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Rover1newton

I have a 3 car garage (tandum) on one side but thats where my workbench is and wouldn't fit. I guess I could call around to some storage places and see how much they charge. I would keep the planes at the house and out of the heat. Well kind of, my garage still gets pretty hot. It was 119 deg F in Phx yesterday and suppose to go down to 105 in a few days, I think it might be a cold front LOL
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Rover1newton

Finally found it! What do you guys think about this stand?

[link]http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductEasyRiderGiantScale.htm[/link]
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Excellant Product, I use 2 of the Easy Riders (smaller version of the Easy Rider Giant http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductEasyRider.html ) in my trailer, on mine I went ahead and wrapped additional foam padding on the cradle, went to Lowes and got the pliable Rubber 3/4" Pipe insulating sleeves, used for copper pipes, airconditioning lines, etc; the type that is split length wise with adhesive tape that you pull the protection strip off and stick to the other side, but in my case it doesn't reach around to meet the other side so I stick it to the surface of the existing foam padding provided to hold it in place; works great, provides more padding.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21374-1410-R...ion&facetInfo=
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM
ron a norman
My Feedback: (14)

I just hauled a Ziroli Corsiar in the back of my short bed Colorado PU. The tail was out in the breeze, and even though i have a cover over the bed the rudder was fluttering like crazy. pulled half of the hinges out within 10 miles. I used an old yard stick that i had in the truck. Broke it in four pieces and used rubber bands to make clamps around the stab and rudder and the stab and elevator also. I was going 250 miles. No more movement after this. I would suggest that you make some sort of clamps with foam padding to keep you tail feathers from shaking regardless of which way you haul it.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

always tail first and wings removed i used to drive 1000 miles like this with my f16 it got a lot of looks other wise the elv. and rudder might get blown off or come loose not good for plane>>>
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Rover1newton

A few years ago when i had my Titan I was able to use an expandable bar in the bed that I bought from Harbor Freight (still have) and was able to put my 50cc Reactor tail first and bungee the main gear to it with no problems at all, but the Sukhoi is over 2 feet longer and the mains will go past the edge of the tailgate. I'm going to try and turn the rudder at full deflection and see if that will get it to fit on the tailgate. The bad news is found some major flaws with the airframe and Horizon wants me to cut out the bad sections and send them just those parts instead of shipping the whole plane back to them. Basically destroy the plane so it cant be flown. This sucks!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
speedracerntrixie

Before you do that post some pics of the suspect areas. There may be a better fix. I have done repairs on a ton of ARFs and learns lots along the way not to mention I work on composite structures for a living. We may be able to come up with a fix that leaves the airplane intact.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

I used 3/4 plywood ripped it 2 ft wide x 8.  I drilled one small hole above wheel pants.  install 2 small turnbuckles to plywood centered in between landing gear.  attach turnbuckles to plywood with a small eye bolt. place plywood with plane attached in bed of truck and drill 2 small holes thu wood into bed and attach with removable metal screws.  I placed the tail section in front of bed.  I used it that way without problems until I got rid of plane.  You can also use this cradle to hang plane to the wall of your choice in your home.     good luck  hope this helps
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

That's why I traded my truck for a XL Yukon
Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM
PHall

You could probably just use [link=http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Extend_a_truck/extend_a_truck_load_support.htm]this[/link] for the plane and many other things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.