Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gruman Ag-Cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

Was getting worried with all the silence...usually a sign of abandonment. Good to hear it's still on the table. Keep us updated...even if this takes up to a couple of years or more (I hope not), still, keep us up on things so we don't give up thinking about it and completely lose interest.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Keith.I think there are enough Ag Cat lovers out there that you'll have plenty of interest once these things get done.Keep ME posted.
Joe McCullar
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 AM
rychaross

I will keep you guys updated as I make some significant progress. My plan is to have the plane hopefully at least static ready if not flyable by September at the Bomber Field B-17 flyin at Monoville, Tx. No promises yet. We'll see how it goes. Too soon to forecast.The time consuming issue is mostly due to the fact that it is a scale airplane, and as you know attention to detail does take some time to produce a quality scale appearance.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
outacontrol41

Yes, Thanks for replying to the call for information. September would be good. Now WE have a date to look forward to. Thanks for keeping US posted.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
anothercrashpilot

[sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] I think ANY News here is GOOD NEWS ! ! ! ! WOULD Love to see Another pic, or two, Of Anything on Progress of any of These CATs ............... New or Old. ! .............................
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
anothercrashpilot

[sm=what_smile.gif]...........HEY.! .! . ! . ! .......... OUTACONTROL ! ! ! ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Here's Just an F.Y.I.......[sm=confused.gif]........ And another Tick to this thread , .................... But Friday I came home to a Couple of 24 lb. boxes, 6x13x49", and another 4 1/2 lb. triangle box with Plans in it [X(]............. I think I'm missing the Most Important 4th box though , The one that has "TIME" in it [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]....................Or does that come "IN A BOTTLE".........[:'(]...................... Anyhow,......... I've only managed to PEEK around with them and with the Plans and I'm not too sure what I got ? ? ? ! ! ............. YES, It does Say AG-Cat on it , But I've noticed some differeces on the plans and some of the Parts as compared to what I remember with the one I already started ... ( I have to finish running new Power to the garage so I have Lights first etc....) So untile I can actually Compare Plans and go through ALL the parts, The SIZE is in Question ! ! ! .............. The Kit has a 14" firewall and I believe Mine was 12" , And the Plans have a Wing that looks like it is Over 12' ! ! ![sm=teeth_smile.gif]..OOOOHH MY ! ! !....................... Well theres My latest ,and the work around the house will Still keep me from getting back to my plane for a few more Weeks...........SOoo,,,,,,,,,,LATER...........
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM
outacontrol41

You've really got your work cut out for you now!!! In the weeks that you're catching up on your house work you'de better be saving up $$$ to get a nice strong engine to fly that thing once it's built! Follow that with nice strong servos, etc., but you will likely have a one of a kind in the country once you're done so will be well worth it. Going with a big gas radial??
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 AM
anothercrashpilot

.Searching for good strong and AFFORDABLE servos is one of my holdups already ! ! ! ..............Now I may need to find STRONGER ones , PLUS ones for the one I have started on ! !..................After Work I had to go do more work at the Inlaws today, So I still haven't Checked Kit...................................... UNFORTUNATELY my Patio project has my Funds off the chart In the RED ! ! ! [:@]..........................If I COULD find a RADIAL Engine that would LOOK / FILL the Firewall I Just Might CONSIDER it ! ........................... But, I'll probably just end up with a BIGGER / AFFORDABLE TWIN ! !............................... I have never Been around any Gas Planes and so I really don't know what this GT-80 is CAPABLE of on the 10 footer,Especially if I manage to fit the big dummy radial I made for it ................... ( Thrust Blocker ! ! )................................................. ..................................Later.......
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
outacontrol41

Check this out.....
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/RCS/rcs150.html

Now that's what you need! Add that to the strong and affordable list![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 AM
anothercrashpilot

I'd have to say "THAT" Price Tag is Bigger than the Plane ! ! ! ................... It's amazing what some people WILL pay.................But, Hey, ! ! If I had $ $ $ $ $ , I'd Consider it TOO ! ! !
AND YES , ! ! ! ......... I AM having a FIT to SEE what I got ! ! ! [&:]............................................ I just Hope it's not a "PROBLEM", Ya Know ! !! !
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 AM
anothercrashpilot

[sm=tongue_smile.gif].............WELL, I can say the KIT Appears to be a 1/3 scale ,, , , , But NO second wing set ! ! [sm=omg_smile.gif]............ Which is Good Since I NEED it for my 10 footer ! ............Not another 12........ I sent back a copy of My wing sheets so we can get situation corrected ! ! .................. Hopefully A.S.A.P. ! ! ! !................................ My ITCH is Coming Back ! ! ! ! !. And I WANT TO BUILD ! ! ! ![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
rychaross

As promised here are some pictures of the DH Agcat in progress. I'm sure it doesn't seem like much work, but those of you whom build scale models (I'm sure most of you do) know that this is a time consuming project, especially for the 1st one of it's kind. So there is a lot of execution and stand back and take a 2nd look of the outcome going on. If it doesn't look right I start over and over until I get the effect that I'm striving for. I want to insure that this plane presents (as close as I can get it ) a true scale appearance in nature. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I will post more as I progress. Have a good one.

Just a note: Duane mentioned to me that he is just about complete with the second Agcat. Progress is slow but it is moving. I think from conversation that he will not release it until I at least make one flight on the prototype to insure all is well. Better to do this than have to recall or send out revision drawings for later corrections. Too much headache.

By the way my new e-mail address is [email protected] if you would like to contact me personally.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30517.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1000016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83661.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1000017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25715.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1000018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99630.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1000019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95814.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1000020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61384.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1000021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82099.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1000022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94607.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1000023  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62670.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1000024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42215.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1000025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69582.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1000026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17435.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1000027  
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
rychaross

Here are a few more pictures that wouldn't fit in the above post. Just in case you're wondering the wheels are the 1/3rd scale J-3 cub wheels (5 5/8" dia.) with the 1/4" axles. They're light and durable and they seems to have the perfect appearance that I was going for. After a pretty lengthy conversation with Duane last Friday (07/25/08) Duane strechted this kit into the "B" model-which means that the fuse is 3" longer and the vertical stabalizer is also 3" wider. This will make for better handling on the ground and in the air. Good job Duane

Name:	Gd93636.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1000031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47553.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1000032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83704.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1000033  
Old 08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Grampaw

Reply to Clyde...somewhat a bit late too. Sometime going back through the Posts provides some gems, and your post regarding the water drop on Ag Cats
is an example. I remember I had a photo or two of a couple of buddies of mine doing a such a drop, just for my camera. But I could only find one of the photos.

Its not the best of photos as it was made with a manual focus lens 35, but it will do. The visual effect of a water drop is still apparent. The other shot was of the two Ag Cats side by side, going straight up together.

These two guys were often mistaken for ex-military by old fighter pilots as they always flew with such precision. That was because they were both taught to fly Ag Cats by two former WWII Fighter Jock, Duster Pilots!

This photo show one of one of them taken on another day, coming in low back towards the strip, when about half way across he pulled full power, cranked back on the stick and yanked the plug on the tank! It looked just like a Jet-Assisted-Take Off as that bipe headed up! If the other shot turns up, I'' send it on for you to see. It's here somewhere.

By the way one of those two were always my first choice for my pilot when I had an Aeril Photo assignment. Ag Pilots are the best! One of them just recently went on to his "Great Reward" as it is said, but not due to a flying accident however. The other is still here, and for a long time to come, we all hope. Grampaw
Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Grampaw

This is a Reply to myself. "HEY GRAMPAW! YOU'RE GETTING A BIT SLOW IN YOUR OLD AGE! YOU FORGOT TO ATTACH THE DOGGONE PHOTO OF THE AG CAT "WATERING THE BEANS"!

As a comic used to say, "What a Revoltin" development this turned out to be!" In defense, I can only say that there were too many distractions flying about while trying to locate the photos of the Ag Cats to Post, then after finding only one, I found tonight, that I never even Posted it! I got the message part off, but thats like getting on the train and leaving your suitcase on the ground back at the depot. I did scan and file it, so I will make another attempt at it, but maybe tomorrow, as it is now 0100 Hours and I'm getting groggy! Hang on, I'll get 'er did...just spare me any "Old Geezer" remarks, OK?
Later Gators! Grampaw
Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
gjmjoe017

Kieth,I tried to drop you an email at your new address,but it came back.Just checking to see how you guys are after the storm.I am heading your way this week,as I'm an adjuster in the insurance business.Let me know how to get in touch.Would love to come by and meet you and see the Ag-Cat.I will probably be down there through the fall.
Joe McCullar
St.Louis,Mo.
P.S. Drop me a line at [email protected]
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Joe
Where Keith lives is on the worse side of Houston were the storm hit. Most of that area still has high water and no power. They are talking about 4 weeks to 6 weeks in some places before power is going to back on. They are still not letting people back in to Houston yet. I hope and pray that his family are doing good and they get the power on pretty soon. It is going to be a while before the Houston area get'e back on its feet.
I hope all his planes made it through the storm.

Walt
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
rychaross

To all,

Thank you for all of your concerns and consideration. I can't begin to tell you how much they mean to me and my family. My wife and I and the kids went north to the Woodlands (that place is tore up. A lot of rich folks up there) to stay with my wifes aunt. She's all alone and really appreciated us staying with her. My place faired pretty well considering what this area looks like. I had to pull my carpet up in the hall way. I lost just a few shingles and some damage to my ridge caps. I do have some spotty places on my ceiling that will have to be looked at and we also lost a tree and two sides of my fence. I recieved power back yesterday at 1:00 p.m. I have to tell you that our local officials in this area have really buckeled down to get this area back on line. I'm very proud of them for that. Our Mayor Bill White and his team have been working with no or very little sleep and around the clock. I didn't have any damage to my planes. The Agcat project is safe. It appears that my family and I received a small amount of damage considering the condition of this area. Once again thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I would like to post some pictures of some of the damage in this area, but I don't believe it is appropriate to post them on this forum. There is a picture of a plane at the Laporte airport that was just restored to flying condition that was literally ripped in two. The storm blew it into the corner of the fence and the tail section was blown over the fence and settled by the telephone pole near the street. Since it relates to avaition I will post those picture just to show all of you folks the power of the wind from a hurricane that blows 90 to 100 mph from anyware 10 to twelve hours consistantly. Hopefully I will get those pictures loaded tonight or tomorrow. Once again thanks for all your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

For those who don't have my new e-mail here it is.

[email protected]
Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
gjmjoe017

Keith,
Glad to hear you and your family are well.I am heading down to the Houston area in a day or two.Like I said drop me a line when you get the chance after the dust has settled a little.Looks like I could be down here for 3-5months.Hope to get the chance to meet you.Good luck and hope you guys get back to normal asap.
Joe
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM
rychaross

Attached are the pictures of the Russian Plane that I was telling you guys about in my previous note concerning the devestation from Hurricane Ike. What a shame to loose such a museum piece. They just got finished restoring this plane about 2 or 3 months ago. It never got to make it's first flight. Well in a way it did. It wasn't successful.
Life will always be more precious than things. No matter how rare or beautiful that thing may be. Please keep all of those affected by Hurricane Ike in your prayers. Not only did it devistate this area but all the way up through the Ohio valley. This was a most dangerous storm and we will feel it's effects espsecially in the petro-chem industry. 12 refineries had to be shut down. It will take at least 2 weeks for sure for all of them to come back on line and start producing gas. The most I payed for gas was $3.69 a gallon. I'm sure a lot of you are paying way more than that.

< Message edited by rychaross 9/18/2008 4:17:38 AM >

Brian Keith Fontenot

Name:	Ec89682.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1035477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75905.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1035478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71763.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1035479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47692.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1035480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63126.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1035481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35460.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1035482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75203.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1035483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69172.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1035484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35197.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1035485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73080.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1035486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62994.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1035487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35983.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1035488  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 PM
gjmjoe017

Kieth,well guess where I have been assigned?LaPorte,Tex.!!!!!I don't know who you have your insurance with,but if it's with Farmers I may be coming by your home.I am heading down your way Saturday from Dallas.Drop me a line and give me your contact info.and I will get in touch with you.Looks like we're gonna be staying north of town for awhile untill things get up and running,but I will be in LaPorte everyday working.
Joe McCullar
314-640-1078
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM
rychaross

That's great. I used to have Farmers Insurance, but my wife switched it to Texas Farm Bureau. I will be heading to Bomber Field this weekend to get away from it all. It's their annual B-17 Flyin. This is the one I always look forward to. There is usually over 170 pilots attending this event. Considering the situation with the Hurricane I don't believe we will have quite the turn out. You just never. If most pilots are like me they will want to get away. I was trying to get a plane ready for this event, but I'm not sure I can pull it all together. Attached are some pictures of the plane that I was going to fly. It hasn't made a test flight yet. So in saying that I'm leary of flying this plane without testing it prior to this event. Shoot me and e-mail to my above address and I will give you my cell phone #. I think this plane is called a dust devil. I'm not really sure. Anyway, a buddy of mine bought it from me in a prior state. Another friend of my stripped it and cut the wingtips square, sheeted the entire plane with balsa, Recut and installed somewhat scale ailerons, machined the landing gear, glassed the plane, built a canopy for it and painted it. The trick was to try and simulate a Thrush. I haven't had time to build the simulated scale radial, but I will. It has a 90' wingspan with a roto 35 electronic ignition. The engine has been started and ran twice each time a whole tank full. Even though the engine has tons of power I don't feel really comfortable that it will fly this plane with some what of authority. The Plane weighs 24.6 pounds. I had to add 15 ounces to the nose to balance it. So I think it came out to 24.75 pounds all together. Anyway enjoy the pictures. To all, I know this isn't a grumman agcat, but I ties to the story. To me any agplane scale model is worth seeing and discussing. I've also attached the website link to Bomber Field you can print out a map on how to get there. It's a great site.

http://www.bomberfieldusa.com/index01.htm

Name:	Jh14993.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1036034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70622.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1036035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44856.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1036036   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97304.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1036037  
Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 AM
outacontrol41

It will fly. It will be sluggish, though. Looks nice! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

BTW,,,,don't feel bad, I've never had the bawells to maiden a plane at ashow in front of a crowd either. Too stressful![:@]
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
rychaross

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. You're nervous already; why compound the situation and risk a plane. I agree with you all the way. I will be judging the B-17 static display and the prototypical flight patterns that will be held on Saturday.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
gjmjoe017

Well,got by and met Keith and saw the Ag Cat and I can tell you guys this thing is going to be awsome!Keith you guys have really turned out a scale version of the Ag Cat and I can't wait to see the finished product.Guys,From what I saw today,everyone will be wanting one of these,including me.Glad I'm on the list.It was great meeting you Keith and I look forward to hearing the flight results.
Joe McCullar
Tried to upload the pics I took and not going through,will add them later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.