Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gruman Ag-Cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
corcguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gruman Ag-Cat

Thinking of building Ag-Cat from Floyd Fitzgerald plans from Bill Northrop. Would appreciate hearing from any of you who have built from these plans.. how good are the plans, final weight, engine used, flight characteristics, any other useful info.

Thanks for your response. Dick L.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Agman29
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

I bought the plans about 6 months ago, they look really good. I have heard all good reviews about the flight chacteristics.

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/index1.html

scroll down about halfway and see that one.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Agman29

check this guy out.

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/index1.html

scroll down about halfway for the ag cat article
Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

I ordered a set of plans from Bill for a 90" Ag-Cat and a kit from Precision Kit Cutters. I hope to get it built over the summer and install a RC Showcase 150cc gas radial. I am not a builder so this will be a giant task for me.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a set of plans as well. I have yet to order the kit but will soon. That will also be my summer project. This will be my second build project, my first is a Piper Pawnee PA-25 from TMRC. It's a 1/4 scale cropduster (108'' ws). Please post your opinion of the quality of the Ag-Cat when you receive it. Very interested in knowing. Thanks.

One more thing.....do you really think you need a 150cc engine? Larry flew his just fine with a G38. Seems like way overkill. Just my humble little thought.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

I am just looking for a plane for the 150cc radial. However, after reviewing the plans this plane is not large enough for the 150. It would be a nice plane for the OS or Saito radials.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM
outacontrol41

Anyone currently building one of these? I'm still trying to decide wheather to get the kit or scratch build from plans. Opinons, please?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
cayuse

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting plans right now. I need something to put my G-62 in.
I assume you got yours from Bill Northrop Plans Service.
What did they cost and how would you describe their quality?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
RedTwilight

Sign me in! I too am interested in knowing the quality, price, flight characteristics, etc... of the AgCat.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
outacontrol41

Dear Mr. Twighlight,

May I call you Red? The AgCat plans are clear and easy to read, I think they're a good investment. Plans come in two sheets along with an informative article from Model Builder magazine on the construction process. I've not started building mine yet because I'm in the middle of a project currently, but the AgCat is next. I paid around $45 including shipping and they come folded up. I believe you can use a G38 to G62 with this model depending on what you're going to do with it. See photo below for a sample of the drawing....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25075.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	695739  
Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
flyemhi
My Feedback: (2)

I have the plans but I would like to know if anyone has a bill of materials for this airplane.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
outacontrol41

I keep a well rounded stock of wood of all sizes, balsa sticks, balsa sheets, hardwood spruce and bass. Always helps to have a good supply rather than just what the plan calls for to account for mistakes or shortcomings. I plan build this kit next year starting in Jan.
I will probably post some pictures as I have in the cropduster forum. I'm between a Zen G38 or a Saito 325 radial. I'll decide when the time comes.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 AM
anothercrashpilot

[sm=teeth_smile.gif] HEY !, outacontrol ! ! Found you over here ! I'm still trying to figure out how to search this site ! I had been hoping to find a thread on this ,But surprised to find no Builds yet ! I finally got back to the guy suppossidely cutting my 10' Kit , and he'd been recuperating from his hospital stay ,and says he'll be starting on it soon , but as you know ,I won't be holding my breath ! Well I'm going to subscribe to this thread and hope to share something before TOO long ! ! ! ! ! OH ! One thing about the plans . DO you think it will be neccessary to offset the rear Fin Like the plans show ? I think it will make mine look like I can't glue straight ! I received a Williams Brothers 1/4 scale radial, BUT it's TOOOO small for mine and I don't think using the cylinders off it will work eigther . LATER !
Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
outacontrol41

ACP...I think we're going to have to stick to the plan with the vertical fin simply because the fin and rudder are so darn close to the propwash. You could probably build the fin straight and think you're getting away with it but you'll most likely find that after you trim your plane in the air then land it, the rudder will be set to an extreme position to make it fly straight. Maybe that's better to look at than a crooked fin??! I couldn't tell you. I have several full scale agcats in my area I'll check out when I get to that point to see how they're built. I'm saving my money for a Saito 5 cyl. radial for this plane....it will make front end construction so much simpler instead of making or buying dummy cylinders. You would probably need an RCS giant scale radial for your 10' wingspan cat.
-
-p.s. The Williams Bros. engine kit you bought did fit my Flair 1/4 scale Stearman....but the wingspan is 89'' so it's probably just right for the 90'' Agcat.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 AM
anothercrashpilot

I"M GOING TO LET THIS PRINT UP TO SEE WHAT THIS HEADING IS THAT IS ALREADY TYPED IN ........................ WELL ,as you know I'm sure it was put like that for a reason . I've put every thing back on hold here again to get things cleared out again , But i finally got the Slimline smoke mufflers today so now I'll get back to trying to Build that Dummy ! I'm not sure I'll be able to do much for it to look decent , As now the mufflers and cylinders on the GT80 will take up so much space and they're all out the same distance as where the dummy cylinders need to be ! ( Hack Job ! ) I'm glad to see a realistic paint scheme on the new AGWAGON , And I even like the color . ( RCGuys .) That's also interesting what you did to build up the Pilot in your Plane, It's a little hard finding many pilots with any Torso or much of a body ! HEY, I remember coming across a pilot figure again awhile back of a skeleton barnstormer or WW 1 or 2 pilot and don't remember the scale or even the maker ! Do youknow Which one I'm talking about and Who sells it ? THANKs......................................
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
outacontrol41

No, I don't know. I bought my pilot dummy at my LHS and I'm not well informed of what's available out there. I do know that Tower Hobbies has a new line of scale dummies availabe in various sizes....might be worth checking out. My pilot torso is light balsa block hollowed out with a dremel tool. I think it will look great when it's primed and painted.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
RandyL

Howdy.... I can tell you all that it flys fine when built with 1/2 the offset shown on the vertical fin. When I built mine I didn't like the offset but figured it was there for a reason..so I used 1/2 of what it calls for and all turned out perfect, no weird flying or trim situations. I would do it that way again...
It is a great flying machine, unlike some scale projects I have worked with. The one thing to watch is the landing... it will lull you into laziness and then come down a bit hard on the rigid gear. It flys so slow on the appraoch that you need to keep a little speed up so you can fly it down on the mains nice and smooth. It is near capable of a vertical landing but it hits harder that way.
Good luck with your projects...I love mine! Flyinglindy
Old 08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
outacontrol41

Randy,

If you get a chance some time, could you post a few pictures of your Agcat? The one's on your website are hard to see and become completely distorted when you zoom in on them. Current pictures would be fine. Hope your plane did fine when your brother came over. Nice to involve the family in RC.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 AM
anothercrashpilot

[].................SHAKEY ,SHAKEY,SHAKEY,...........................SHAKEY , SHAKEY............................................ ...............THOUGHT I might shake the DUST off this thread ,But after 4 years of it being here ,There are still no takers ! ! ! So, No DUST ! ! .......................I know there's Alot of these Plans out there ,as I seen them on Ebay nearly everytime I was on ! ! IS there any REAL interest out there ,or is it because this thread is spelled Gruman instead of GRUMMAN.?????? HEY, OUTACONTROL , What is your take on how the CABANE wires are attached to the frame ? Are they under the block or Clamps on top or sandwiched ? What would you suggest on mounting them ?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
RandyL

I cycled my batteries and was ready to put it up but time did not work out. My son's wedding was the main attraction and it was great! One of the best days I can ever remember.
We lost a family member since and it is still hanging in the garage. So no new reports...

I really don't have any new pics that would show much detail. I built mine back well before having a digital camera. They are scanned polaroids etc.
Wished I could help with more, clearer, details...

Randy
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
outacontrol41

Anothercrashpilot....I'll have much more information to share with you after I get into building her. Probably this winter after the holidays. I can tell you one thing, though, I don't always follow the drawn plan to 100% exactness...I sometimes use my own ideas. I think most builders generally think this way. The cabane wire probably won't be wires. Instead, I'll use something sturdier and closer to scale. Maybe rigid aluminum or even steel. Must be attached to main frame using no less than 1/4'' bolts.

Randy....did you ever get a smoke spray system going as your photos show? You had two aluminum pipe bent upwards toward the exhaust stacks. Did your system ever work?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
outacontrol41

Here's what I had in mind for cabane 'struts' as show in this photo. I have no clue who this is or date of photo...but he's got the right idea, for sure.

Name:	Zx70906.jpg
Views:	1524
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	793359  
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM
anothercrashpilot

SWEET ! !....VERY SWEET ! ! .......I really needed to see something again ! ...It looks like the plane way back on the crop duster thread.But a Very Nice picture .....The STRUTs are what I was talking about .I believe on RANDY's pictures ,some show them mounted and not during the Build as though they where removable. .......ON THIS picture they look like the Sheeted wire/rods as on the plans ,and how they attach to the main frame was my concern.....It looks like the cross brace/mount is partially inset into the frame sides But thats it ! ..............I guess I could put a sheet of plywood Under the top frame and mount the crossblock to it also ! That would help tie it into the sides better , and I'll be using 1/16 Plywood to sheet the frame sides instead of the 1/16 Balsa !..................... Yep ,That sounds like a plan And I'll check it out ....Unless I forget by Morning ! !I've also been meaning to try and BEND 1/4' wire for it instead of the smaller size as that will also decide what size to groove those Blocks ! ! ! .......................(OH, one more thing I've been toying with is that this thing is going to be HEAVY ! ! ! ! ...........What would the Wing Loading be on a Bi-plane with a 10' span x 16" cord And lets say Opprox. 40 lbs.?)...................................AND .RANDY ......Good news or Bad,..I'm always glad to hear from you , as You've been my Insperation since First finding the plans and then you ! THANKs.............
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
RandyL

I built my lower wing in two seperate panels, using dowel rod and brass tubing guides to slide together and locked in place with the forward wing dowels and wing bolts. The airplane can be broke down into managable size this way depending on the transportation.. Randy

Name:	Ki19363.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	794408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67116.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	794409  
Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 AM
anothercrashpilot

YEP, I've been trying to think up ways to do something like that too . .......Wasn't sure to use aluminum tube/pipe ,Bar stock or?..I'd even like to do something alittle heavy duty for the top wing also .I don't plan on putting anything in the middle section and thought about running something all the way across.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.