Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

H9 Edge 540 with ZDZ80 blue head

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

H9 Edge 540 with ZDZ80 blue head

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Rhino0_6
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H9 Edge 540 with ZDZ80 blue head

Looking for some info on ZDZ80 motor? Going to buy a Edge 540 with 5645 on all surfaces A123 system. Never owned a ZDZ before any info or help would be appreciated do"s and don"s would be nice. Fuel mix to
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Good engines but a bit different to start owing to the use of a rotary valve intake rather than a reed system.

1. They WILL NOT START WHEN COLD UNLESS THEY ARE "WET".... lol
You must make sure the choke plate closes all the way. I listen to it as I prop it until I hear the engine make that "snotty nose " sound indicating it's got fuel in the carb. If it doesn't you're wasting your time. Then I crack the throttle with the choke open, ignition on and it usually goes within a couple of flips. Some use the "5-5-1" method shown in the ZDZ manuals and in the old ZDZ support forum here. It works okay to get you started playing with these engines.

2 When they are hot you probably will not be able to get it started again right away without intentionally flooding the engine and proceed accordingly. If they are just a bit warm; ignition on and usually one or maybe two flips and they'll go. Been flown previously on a summer day; one choke fiip then ignition on, choke off an they'll go. Cold day, three choked flips.

I would not suggest you try what I call the "DA method" where you turn on the ignition and start flipping the engine over with the choke closed until it pops, then choke off and usually 3 to 5 more flips they'll start. If you choke a ZDZ and flip it with the ignition on until it pops, it'll be incredibly flooded and you'll feel like your arm is going to fall out of it's socket before you getting going unless you let it sit for some time.

High compression engines so use only premium grade pump gas and no leaner than 40 to 1 (that is the current ZDZ recommendation, it used to be 50 to 1 some years ago) on the oil mix, although they seem to be happier at 32 to 1.