Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Giant Scale airplane to fly with Saito 82 Four Stroke

I have a Piper Pawnee 40 and I have a slightly used engine on the airplane but in great shape and flawless running. I just would like something more aerobatic and keep the scale looks and still use the engine. I plan on using all the servos, charging switch and flight battery as well as the voltwatch on the new airplane. I was considering a Cub but I would be getting the same flying as the Pawnee except the wing it a high wing and Cub just are not aerobatic.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    A Cub is about the only model, in Giant Scale, that your Saito will fly.

Giant Scale is, per IMAA, 80 inch wingspan and larger.

The Great Planes Cub .60 should fit your needs.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Tom,

Great Planes just has the Cub .60 in a kit. I did find this for keeping the engine in a scale airplane. I might be able to reuse the servos and other components. I like aerobatics but at least I would be using the engine.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4000

If anyone can find something else to fly instead of a Cub add a suggestion. I would like to used the engine in a good airframe. I just thought the Pawnee would have lasted longer since I didn't fly it a lot. The front of the airframe didn't hold up well to nitro even after fuel proofing in some areas. The engine is practically new and I would like to keep flying it until I get a gas airplane to fly since nitro is costly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Look at 60" biplanes (IMAA legal). But to make it aerobatic you would have to BUILD it - no ARFs (afaik), most of them are Pitts or Ultimate types that need more power than I think you have.
    How aerobatic are you looking to make it? Loops and rolls don't need huge power, blenders need rather more.

Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Martin,

A pitts would be great but I cant seem to find one for use with the engine. I would be flying aerobatics such as loops and some blenders.

The engine has power since it was on a 80 wingspan Pawnee. I was also looking for a tail dragger since most nose gear aircraft don't hold up well at my grass field.

The pitts is the only biplane that might be good with the Saito. The problem is finding one in a ARF to add with the engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hello try this site sturla.wix.com/aeroncachief going to be a build for me in the near future.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    equip,

I found the sturla.wix.com aeroncachief. It looks like a good airplane to fly gas with the 20cc DLE engine. I was looking for a ARF airplane.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Cubs aren't bad aerobatically if you build the clipped wing version

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Dale,

I might buy a Hanger 9 40 size cub for the engine. It seems like the best airplane I can add this Saito 82 in and still use most of my parts out of my Hanger 9 Pawnee. A clipped wing would be fun and more aerobatics but there are not a lot of decent well built ARFs around to buy with the clipped version.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    albertomi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Great prices on the airplanes. I like the blue and yellow clipped wing cubs. It's a clipped wing so I can at least fly aerobatics.