Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

PJ-295>>>Rib Stitching question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

PJ-295>>>Rib Stitching question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PJ-295>>>Rib Stitching question

So, we have simulated rib stitching our wings and tail feathers on unpainted/uncoated fabric after it's been shrunk a bit. At least I have. My first rib stitching job was done on an ACE Big Bingo that I covered with Super Coverite and painted base coat/clear coat. It is still flying today after13 years.
My question is this one. I have recently acquired a very old airframe that is really brand new and well taken care of...I just don't agree with the colors and, while I'm at it, I might as well ad simulated rib stitching right? So far I have figured out that I will have to wet sand extensively, then glue some Dacron fly line backing to paper in the correct scale spacing then cross cut them into strips that will be placed onto the rib caps using an adhesive of some kind, (IE-Formula 521 acetate type glue). Then, when dry use a different type of adhesive for the finishing tape (Pinked tape). The tape I am using is 1" wide from S****-Lite. My question is: What adhesive (S*G Stix-it, Nitrate dope, Poly-brush etc) do I use for the finishing tape in this application? I think that the paint is TF Lustrekote.
I have given this subject much thought and slept on it for many nights.
I also ask: Would spraying epoxy primer/paint such as Klass-Kote* over the top of the existing lustrekote paint be compatible?

Should I just re-cover the whole airplane and be done with it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	078.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1,002.0 KB
ID:	1942951   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-295f.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	1942973  
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I used a drop of wood glue applied with a Tee Pin to simulate, S**** tape
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	03-21-09 010.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	1943019  
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What ever you decide to use you need to determine the compatibility over lustercoat. If not you could end up with a Big Mess on your hands.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:36 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Steve just a suggestion, have you thought about using already made stitching and tape. I have used them and they are both superior products and they are very easy to use. Here are the links for you to check out if interested...If you want to see some of my models with these products installed and painted (using Klass Kote) I would be more than happy to post a few pics.

http://home.cablerocket.com/~scaleribstitch/
http://www.pink-it.net/
Old 11-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Steve S. Helland

Well, if I have to I will test a small area before making a total mess. The big question is: what is Lustreko+e paint? Is it a laquer? Enamel? Poly?
Those internet websites were very cool, I did not know they existed-Thanks Vincent, hey maybe think about loading up some pics in your gallery?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve, like Vincent, i have used http://home.cablerocket.com/~scaleribstitch/ great product and saves a lot of time.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Steve S. Helland

Thanks for all the advice. If I have to use Lustrekote spray paints then I will. Back in the day I used S^G Stix-it to adhere the finishing tape to the Super Coverite. I am going to attempt (in a small area to confirm compatibility) to chemically bind finishing tape to an already painted surface that has been wet sanded. Since there is no data on what type of paint Lustrekote is, I have gathered intelligence information from the internet about what "other" paint could possibly be applied over the top of Lustrekote with minimum reactivity. Lacquer...thank you very much. The adhesive I will test will be lacquer based. A good start will be balsarite, or stix-it, you know, it's that stuff we use to coat our structures before covering...the heat activated covering adhesive. I will try Poly-tak in a small area too. (I just happen to have all three of these products on hand). After my stitching is laid up and it is covered by the finishing tape I will then carefully brush on nitrate dope to seal the tape. Lightly Lustrekote/Lacquer primer the whole wing-wait a couple of days then wet sand it with 400 grit. Prime it again slightly heavier then wait a couple more days then wet sand again with 400 grit. By this time it should be ready for Lustrekote or lacquer colors of my choice. I just don't like the price of having to use lots of spray cans on large projects. I would rather use a detail gun with my compressor. I am also going to contact Klass-kote directly to see if their epoxy primer and paints are reactive to lacquer finishes. Progress has been made-looks good on paper. I'll keep you guys posted.