Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale Sig Cub - Want to make the 84" wing a split wing

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 Scale Sig Cub - Want to make the 84" wing a split wing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
mmladow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale Sig Cub - Want to make the 84" wing a split wing

I've acquired a Sig 1/4 scale clipped wing, and can't get it into any of my vehicles easily. I am in the process of removing the Sig colors and going to cover it with Cub Yellow Coverite, and in the process, wondering if it is possible to make the wing a 2 piece (split) wing?
Thanks,
Monte
Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is possible I would look at the Great Planes Giant Big Stick to see how it is designed as it has a two piece top mounted wing and it is around 80 inches.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
mmladow

Great, I'll do that. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
metaldriver

Try finding a copy of the plans for the full wing version. It is a two pice wing and would work well for what you are trying to do.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

There are a number of excellent 1/4 scale CUB builds here on RCU in various forums. Represented are the J-3 both in full span and clipped versions as well as the Super Cub .... plus others. Both the SIG and Balsa USA kits are also shown. Here is a link to just one very excellent thread. Do some searches for some other threads and you should find enough reading for days.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...cub-build.html

In these various threads, several change the cabin top in several different ways to incorporate a two piece wing. Some modify the cabin top for easier wing installation or to strengthen this weak part on a J-3 fuselage. You should be able to get some excellent ideas from these threads. The wing center section as used on the full span SIG J-3 has always seems a bit clunky and way off from scale. A pain to build and it just doesn't look right on the plane.

I'm currently building a highly modified SIG J-3 and doing away with the bolt on center section design. The center section is now incorporated into the fuselage structure allowing for a more scale top stringer arrangement, etc. I'm using a 1" wing tube to support the individual wing panels as is common with most airplanes today. Like most CUBs, the struts are 100% so I don't depend on the tube to support flight loads.

Last edited by Truckracer; 12-05-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM
mmladow

Thanks fellows! I'll check things out further. Also, I did purchase the full-wing kit from Sig, and will open it and look at the plans.
I really appreciate your input.
Monte